Weimarer Republik

Weimarer Republik   38 votes

1. 1. good or bad?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Do not give a hoot.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

So I have to send out Xmas gifts and other gibberish out for this holiday, and I am using the Geo issue of the Weimarer as an influence in sending out a humanistic message to the world as gifts to peeps. Well I know the subtitle remark will garner more attention than needed but otherwise interested in knowing what peeps think of the Weimarer Republik. State your thoughts in defense or criticism of this time. This is a reach out to see what YOU think.

Trick question perdido, do you mean was it good by nature, or was it good by outcome? For example if you ask me if Christianity is good by nature, I'd tell you yes, what with all the meek and the other cheek and the neighbor lovin', but if you ask me by outcome I'd write 90% of all deaths due to war in Europe until the 19th century on its bill, so outcome - bad.

This is a reach out to see what YOU think.

No trick question mate. I just wanted a discussion with substance. I have my opinion and believe in it but wanted an exchange in ideas here. Thanks for the diplomatic approach mate.

PS

Did you ever get that film bag?

Right then, made my vote.

Yes I did actually, it's a charm for storing all the small stuff safe from cat curiosity-induced disintegration. Thanks a lot for it!

It was Germany's first attempt at true democracy, encompassing all of the existing parties. That was its downfall, though. Due to the lack of any restriction regarding representation in the Reichstag the fringe parties with 1% or less weakened the larger parties, coalitions were formed and broke apart again, every government failed. Finally, the SPD, up to then a stronghold of the working class, lost its following to the NSDAP. Not because everyone "turned Nazi" all of the sudden but the NSDAP promised prosperity while the SPD stuck to a strict line of prudence, frugality and patience.

Black Friday and the Depression, inflation and a world-wide slump didn't help either, people blamed the government for the loss of financial stability and were vulnerable for anyone with convincing rhetorical skills and a morale-boosting program.

All in all, it was an important era that wasn't necessarily doomed to fail but didn't have much of a chance either. The nation was still aching from losing WW I and the reparations set forth in the Treaty of Versailles and didn't really have the strength or gumption to make the difficult transition from loyal subjects of the Kaiser to responsible democrats. The Weimar Republic was like a still-born child, full of potential but powerless to use it.

I am thoroughly encompassed right now with the passion the Weimarer Repubik tried to exhibit . The sad thing is that in life there is no chaos without order and the W.R. had none of the latter. Yet we need or should embrace what it gave to us….Otto Dix, The Expressionist Period, the Dada Movement are but a few examples.

I agree. When I went through berlin, in my imagination I tried to visualise a lot of the buildings/people during the Weimarer Republik (although most were built post W.R.) and could see very easily this. It was just sad the end...

Some of the 1920's social contrasts are also still here, mainly the chip-on-the-shoulder 'berliner' and the students from the Rhineland who practice being bohemian for a few years. Otherwise it's probably just become another burb of europe.

and I am using the Geo issue of the Weimarer as an influence

I lost my copy of said of Geo. If anyone has a copy I would be interested in relieving you of this issue. I could buy or trade you something out.

Yet we need or should embrace what it gave to us…

the best known facts what it gave us was inflation, poverty and Adolf.

I grant you Adolf, his rise to power was made possible by the system. But inflation and the resulting poverty were worldwide phenomena (see post #5).

walter gropius all the way baby,

I must say I have no interest in Dix :P

But inflation and the resulting poverty were worldwide phenomena (see post #5).

But when anyone mentions Weimar republic, then it is always in connection with Hyper inflation (like we are getting when they are done with the next $700 billion ) I still remember playing with a box full of superhypermillionbilliontrillion Reichsmark bills and that was a zillion years ago when the 1000 year Reich started. Funny how this always kindles the fire of memory.