Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flavoring beer with fruit juice

18 posts in this topic

So I was on a business trip in Frankfurt and I went to a bar and ordered myself a Weissbier. When I got it, I thought the look of it was a bit strange. When I took the first sip, it tasted disgusting! I told them that there's something wrong with their weissbier, and they got me a new one. Same thing, it tasted wrong... in the end, I asked them what they're doing to the weissbier, and they said to me that they mix their weissbier with banana juice... banana juice??? Banana juice in Weissbier??? Who in the whole wide world came up with that idea? That's just not what you do to weissbier...

I really like it, drank it quite a bit in Köln when I lived there. As I also like Kirschbier and many other fruit infused beers, whether from the states or Belgium.

Just another example of Germany going Banana Republic on the public.

they said to me that they mix their weissbier with banana juice... banana juice???

I have had Banananweißen many times and it is quite nice. However I have never heard of any bars actually putting in automatically normally you have to ask for it.

You can get it here in Munich too, though I personally think it's nasty. But what bar was this and what exactly did you say when you ordered it? They'll call a Weissbier a Hefeweizen up there, you know...

I'm pretty sure gays also usually ask before putting it in.

What was the rest of the thread about?

Weissbier with bananas!?

wow, I personally would not get close to that horrific thing. In Belgium, these "infusions" are more common but here...hmmmm have to be careful next time I order and ask if it is a banana one...Hope the waiter doesn't look at me weird-ly :D

I really like it, drank it quite a bit in Köln when I lived there. As I also like Kirschbier and many other fruit infused beers, whether from the states or Belgium.

I love KreikBier in Belguim! Also the Raspberry is okay, the Banana was just nasty! Had to chug a Hoegarden to get rid of the taste.

The difference between a (good) Belgian Kriek and a Banana-Weizen is that with the Kriek, cherries are part of the actual brewing process: sour cherries are added to the beer during fermentation, allowing their flavour to seep out. Low-quality Krieks and Banana-Weizen are produced by simply taking a normal beer and adding some fruit syrup.

The other area of Germany where syrup-Weissbiers are common is in Berlin. Berliner Weisse is too sour for most people to enjoy as it comes, so it's common to have it with a shot of syrup – usually either with raspberry or woodruff. This has been the tradition for at least two centuries.

post-977-1195805560.jpg

I like that Berliner green stuff, brings back memories of drinking it there in 2002. What is the syrup called and can I buy it in Munich?

The sirup is available here in Munich. You can even occasionally find a place that serves a Berliner Weiße here as well. I personally like the tartness of it without the shot of sirup. But I'm weird.