Things to do when leaving an apartment

40 posts in this topic

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello,

what is the correct procedure to hand over an apartment once lease is over? My Vermieter has been hostile and tricky all along, and I have a strong suspicion he might try something with the deposit...

The apartment does not have any damage, and is now empty. Lease will be over at the end of May. I have been there 18 months, so basically everything is in the same condition as it was before.

I have never done a German übergabe before, but in my mind:

- I give him an appointment around the end of May, say the 26th

- We meet there, and if he finds that the apartment is ok, then he gives me a signed piece of paper that says everything is ok - otherwise, he tells me what he thinks is wrong, I fix it, we meet again after 2/3 days and then he gives me that piece of paper

Things that could go wrong, knowing Germany:

- somehow the law has a special procedure for doing the übergabe that I am not aware of - landlord tricks me and I lose deposit [he comes the last day of the month, finds "problems" and does no give me the piece of paper, or something like that] -> who makes the appointment? what if "problems" are found?

- landlord tries to delegate somebody to do the übergabe for him, I get the piece of paper, just to find out that person had no authority -> I lose deposit

How is it done?

Take lots of pictures or make a video showing the state of the apartment on that day (you could take a picture of that day's newspaper in the series too).

Have someone else with you as a witness.

*obligatory question*

Are you a member of the Mietverein?

Fantastic idea, I'll go with my girlfriend and a video camera, if he starts giving trouble, I'll start filming.

I am not a member of a Mietverein - once I get in, how long do I have to stay with them? My next landlord is extremely nice by account of the whole building...

Sorry, I had overlooked this thread - by reading it, I noticed that I have changed my door lock, so I cannot give back the original keys, only the new ones.

Is it a problem?

As long as you don't (or didn't) have the same keys for building door and apartment door, it shouldn't be.

If you did, and you changed the locks because you lost your keys, you may want to read one of the threads on lost keys.

I will move out on 5th May and my landlady told me she will come on the 4th May...

i moved out of my old place rented to my by a neighbor and supposed friend of mine...well, more Bekannter...any, i had my place professionally cleaned, painted and a small amount of damage to the wooden floor taken care of and he said he would take it out of the Kaution.

the difference being ~1500 Euros still due to me. lol, he just sent this:

"Servus Zeek,

habe die Sachen soweit zusammen aber die Spülmaschine noch nicht am Laufen.

Der Abbau der Waschmaschine war leider so dass jetzt alle Leitungen offen sind und ich sie nicht bedienen kann ohne die Wohnung zu fluten.

Und im Bad sind die Hähne so verkalkt dass sie immer laufen. Das hätte längst gemacht gehört.

Gruß J"

that's it...it was my washing machine (purchased after the one that came with the apartment broke). and i left the fittings open, assuming he was going to buy his own washing machine (he said he was moving in). and it appears, there's a leaking faucet in the bathroom.

i think he's taking the piss... :|

It looks like we will be leaving Berlin at the end of August- we aren't quite certain where to:-), but the timing is certain.

I'm wondering what TTers think is the best way to maximize getting rid of our things? We would like to leave our kitchen, kitchen appliances (full size fridge, full size freezer, d/w), washer/dryer, bathroom furniture, and the majority of our furniture (Ikea dressers and Ikea tall closets with mirrored doors) as well as our lighting fixtures behind.

Should we look for a nachmieter ourselves, who would be interested in buying these things? That is, list here (or on immobilienscout) for a nachmieter, either with a list of the possessions or sending that as spreadsheet/list to prospective people?

Or should we leave the re-renting to our landlord and list the possessions here and on kleinanzeigen?.

It's a 2 (or 3- Berliner room off LR that we use as office) BR with a large kitchen, 1 BA and balcony in Wilmersdorf, on the U&, altbau with elevator and plaster details and we will be very sad to leave it:-(.

But, a uniqueunicorn- my question has nothing to do with turning over an apartment or de-registering or finding a new one or moving anything at all:

I am asking people (I was hoping within Berlin) how they handled getting rid of furniture and appliances- the Abstand things. Is that really the same as Protokolls or anything else within this thread?

your information can and will be stored with the information in this thread, gail, it may help someone else in a similar situation some day.

Your issue is not so terribly unique and specialized that it can't "touch" other information.

The title is fine, also. We want to help as many people as possible, now and in the future, not just gail123.

1. Hold the keys till the last day you paid rent for

2. Ubergabeprotokol. Some landlords are very picky. I have two experiences . The first the managing agent "recommended" that i use her boyfrieends firm to shampoo my clean carpets. It cost dm 150 but she didn' t make any difficulties.

And on the second the repainting needed was disputable so i took alawyer friend with me. He pointed out that if the landlord wanted to argue then both sides would need an expert opinion etc . Knowing how long a court case can take and how unpredictable it can be the lanlord simply caved in.

Maybe i was lucky

It looks like we will be leaving Berlin at the end of August- we aren't quite certain where to:-), but the timing is certain.

I'm wondering what TTers think is the best way to maximize getting rid of our things? We would like to leave our kitchen, kitchen appliances (full size fridge, full size freezer, d/w), washer/dryer, bathroom furniture, and the majority of our furniture (Ikea dressers and Ikea tall closets with mirrored doors) as well as our lighting fixtures behind.

Should we look for a nachmieter ourselves, who would be interested in buying these things? That is, list here (or on immobilienscout) for a nachmieter, either with a list of the possessions or sending that as spreadsheet/list to prospective people?

Or should we leave the re-renting to our landlord and list the possessions here and on kleinanzeigen?.

It's a 2 (or 3- Berliner room off LR that we use as office) BR with a large kitchen, 1 BA and balcony in Wilmersdorf, on the U&, altbau with elevator and plaster details and we will be very sad to leave it:-(.

Gail123, hope you found out a way to dispose the household stuff, I am hoping someone could help me with doing the same in Frankfurt. I will be leaving Germany next month and was looking for the easiest and cheapest way to dispose all the stuff around my house. I have already listed some items for sale , Surely this would not help me clear out all the stuff lying around.

and spermull pick up was not feasible due to the dates available.

Any other ideas to help me get rid of all the household stuff before I clean up the place would be very appreciated.

FM.

I found TT not extremely helpful in getting rid of things. A few things went here (thanks!), but mostly people asked me to give them things for free.

I found listing a blog site and linking into that through Craig's List, TT and Kleinanzeigen the most useful and I found kijiji (kleinanzeigen) the site that hooked me up fastest to folks that actually wanted to buy what I was selling. It allowed me to keep a dynamic list of what I was offering with photos and prices.

I also got rid of lots of things (275+ books, small appliances) by putting them out on my sidewalk with a Zu Verschenken sign, because listing them (for free!) on TT got me not a nibble, but putting them out had them all gone (over several different weekend days).

We also have kiosks here in Berlin for drop off/pick up, both book kiosks and "other stuff". We used to drop clothes and smaller things when we took the kids to art (it was across the street) and watch people come and take- our stuff went because we only put out "good stuff". I donated ordinary clothes/shoes in the containers and stuff that wasn't good in the orange bin. Larger appliances I took to the recycling hot, where the Eastern Europeans collect broken/damaged things to repair and sell East. I am very happy to keep things out of the waste stream.

Good luck! For me, on big ticket items, I wanted to get enough money to make it not worth my while to use a transformer in the US, or adapt them (and I did). For smaller stuff, I was happier to give it away then deal with people offering me 50 Euros for a 300 euro grill, or 20 euros for a 300 euro vacuum (they both sold at much higher prices) but i just gave away waffle irons and fans and so on.

Good luck! For me, on big ticket items, I wanted to get enough money to make it not worth my while to use a transformer in the US, or adapt them (and I did). For smaller stuff, I was happier to give it away then deal with people offering me 50 Euros for a 300 euro grill, or 20 euros for a 300 euro vacuum (they both sold at much higher prices) but i just gave away waffle irons and fans and so on.

Thanks Gail123 exactly the information I was looking for. I just need to find out where to drop off some small appliances in Frankfurt. Honestly speaking I'd be glad if I did not have to pay someone to take it all off me. :D So any amount from sale of good items that covers the final throwing away cost would be excellent.

Any bonus over and above would be donated to a charity organisation.

FM

On 23/04/2012, 10:19:12, nickelcadmium said:

Hello,

what is the correct procedure to hand over an apartment once lease is over? My Vermieter has been hostile and tricky all along, and I have a strong suspicion he might try something with the deposit...

The apartment does not have any damage, and is now empty. Lease will be over at the end of May. I have been there 18 months, so basically everything is in the same condition as it was before.

I have never done a German übergabe before, but in my mind:

- I give him an appointment around the end of May, say the 26th

- We meet there, and if he finds that the apartment is ok, then he gives me a signed piece of paper that says everything is ok - otherwise, he tells me what he thinks is wrong, I fix it, we meet again after 2/3 days and then he gives me that piece of paper

Things that could go wrong, knowing Germany:

- somehow the law has a special procedure for doing the übergabe that I am not aware of - landlord tricks me and I lose deposit [he comes the last day of the month, finds "problems" and does no give me the piece of paper, or something like that] -> who makes the appointment? what if "problems" are found?

- landlord tries to delegate somebody to do the übergabe for him, I get the piece of paper, just to find out that person had no authority -> I lose deposit

How is it done?

I am about to move out from house. In the day out, one relative of the landlord is supposed to do the protocol. If i understand it, then if the relative has no authority, the whole process is null?

10 minutes ago, Criolo said:

I am about to move out from house. In the day out, one relative of the landlord is supposed to do the protocol. If i understand it, then if the relative has no authority, the whole process is null?

I don't see a situation like that arising easily. If a relative, friend, spouse or whatever of the landlord turns up for the handover it can only be because the landlord instructed her to do that. If the landlord turns around and says that person was not authorized he would have to explain who sent them then.

It's not unusual for landlords to delegate all sorts of things, including the handover. Who told you a relative is coming to that? The landlord? Then he authorized it. You are covered.

The landlord did not say it but kindly suggested that the relative would do it. but ok, thanks for clarifying. I read so much things that sometimes get a bit of panic :)

4 hours ago, Criolo said:

4 hours ago, Criolo said:

The landlord did not say it but kindly suggested that the relative would do it. but ok, thanks for clarifying. I read so much things that sometimes get a bit of panic :)

Don't worry. As @Smaug said, its not unusual.

A few points to bear in mind.

If you don't know the relative by sight personally you should ask him to show you his Perso just to confirm he is the person your landlord told you would come. "Nur fürs Protokoll können Sie mir Ihre Personalausweiss zeigen bitte" 

He might (should) have a Vollmacht (Power of Attorney) from your landlord authorizing him to act on his behalf in the matter but if your landlord has told, or does tell, you he has authorized his relative to deal with you then that is already a binding verbal agreement in German law. 

When signing off at the bottom of the Übergabe (handover) sheet both parties should write their full name, the city and the date below their signatures and he should write i.A. Name of Landlord above his signature. i.A = im Auftrag = on behalf of.

Don't forget to take sufficient photographic or video evidence with you of doors, windows, their frames, any parkett or carpet flooring, the walls, ceilings, the bath, WC, shower cubicle, kitchen and any furniture belonging to the flat. Don't stint on the amount of pictures you take especially of any items which may have been subjected to excessive wear and tear.

When doing the walk and look around with the landlord's relative take your time and be sure to ask him to confirm that this or that or the other room, wall, door, equipment is in acceptable condition.

"Es ist alles in Ordnung - mit der Kuche - in diese Zimmer  - mit der Wohnzimmer Wände - etc - oder?"

2B