Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Balls, dinners, and posh events in Frankfurt

39 posts in this topic

I don't miss the UK very often, but perhaps a little in the run up to Christmas, when traditionally School, Uni, and then work have had black tie events. These are often very drunken, but people dressed up and all looking good, at least at the start. Since being here, I've not had the chance to don the formal Kilt or DJ. Perhaps I'm not circulating in the right social circles, even the FFT work party is not remotely formal, unlike the London work party.

Anyone got any tips?

i´d be up for it also. just arrived though and my tux is in transit !

keep me posted ! i would be a good wingman !

i am fond of a good piss up !

cheers,

action

yep - same. Will also need the opportunity to wear some of those dresses etc. at some point. Can't let them turn in to moth food. Eyes and ears are open...but I'm not holding my breath!

Might have to go back to London for that.

Well ball season started 11:11 11.11 -- beginning of Fasching / Karneval -- join some organizations and watch the local magazines. The American Chamber of Commerce in Munich is having a black tie ball tonight for Thanksgiving, but it's not posted on the website as it's only for members. The Lions and Young Lions have things. Someone in Frankfurt should be able to tell you what publications to watch, similar to Time Out or whatever.

If you're interested in traveling a bit there are some great balls in Vienna in January. I'm going to the Doctor's Ball on January 26th and I'm really looking forward to it.

Keep me posted on these events..I have several dresses that need some attention! (As do I since I have not had an excuse to get really dolled up since I have been here!)

Cheers!

Looks like nothing is going to surface, what about organising something ourselves ? gotta be assetive sometimes ! go somewhere posh, dress up and get sloshed ? i am sure once the word gets out we could draw some more numbers !

cheers,

action

what about organising something ourselves ?

That is a nice idea. But I don't know I think that overstretches most peoples organisational skills.

I am trying my best word this in a way so I don't get lumbered with organising it all (which is what usually happens)

the Frankfurter Opernball sounds great, but a bit beyond my budget (especially with all the bad luck I have been blessed with as of late), at least some of the tickets listed (e.g. 600€) are very expensive - I'm not really sure what precisely is the difference between each of them...e.g. what is a flanier?

Well, I am sure if there were enough of us we could do something. :)

Yep, it's always fun to get dressed up and get drunk.

What is everyone doing for New Years Eve??

yes, it is... :) I do miss it. There's something terribly 'therapeutic' about it...and with all the moving and half of my things in storage and all the stuff that's been happening as of late I've been feeling more like cinderella before the fairy godmother turned up :lol:

Maybe we could organise our own ball, if there were enough people... :unsure:

Maybe we could organise our own ball, if there were enough people...

I have no doubt that between TT and the Frankfurt Dining out club we could find enough people. I could roll off 50 people from top of my head for sure :D It is just the thought of organising it that makes my head explode choosing venue, men choice, music, tickets etc eeeeeeeekk

@Rilana: "Scrub the floors Cinderelly..Take out the trash Cinderelly" Yes, I know exactly how you feel! Where is my Fairy Godmom with a trunk full of Manolo's and Valentino gowns!?

Hmm..I don't know how to go about doing it, but if you need any help I have nothing BUT time on my hands!

true - the thought of organising it is a wee bit off-putting. Perhaps we (PM, AshleyM and moi...feel free to slap me for just nominating you!) can be the organising committee and share the workload?! I think it would be a wonderful idea, if we could pull it off.

I need to think about this one. The thing is I have organised lots of things like this before and every time I say to Prob+1 that I'll never do it again.

If there is a proper committee set up and others actually participate then maybe but in the past I have always been lumbered with the donkey work!!

I have a think..

I know what you mean, the same usually happens to me, however I have never had to organise anything of that scale before...so your expertise would be invaluable. I can only say from my part that I would be happy to take on an equal share of the organisational work but as you, wouldn't want to be left hanging with the whole lot. I think that as long as everyone is committed and it's organised well and the workload distributed well from the get go, it would be quite enjoyable too. Or am I being really naive?

No you are right it is quite enjoyable as well. I guess we need to first of all think about how to got about it - organise caterers and room, disco etc ourselves or see if there is somewhere that would do the whole lot for us...

i *may* be interested in organising something.

time allowing, interest being maintained...

ok...so should we perhaps meet up and discuss? I could see what I can find out in terms of possible locations etc. in the meantime? If we all do a bit of research, meet and see what we have come up with and how best to go forward? I'm sure there are a number of places around that could be used, just need to find out what and where and how to go about it. I don't think we need to have too much for an initial discussion, just some ideas.

I'll go and ask the Marketing department here too, they are always organising events for something or other and might have a few tips.