Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Most ridiculous British laws

27 posts in this topic

Conqui, as far as Germany is concerned I cannot think of many examples for the churches' influence except their rejection of shops being open on sunday or cutting down religious holidays. The catholic church took a stance against the reform of the legislation on abortion a few years ago, to no avail.

It's different in a country like Poland where there has been an amalgam of nationality and catholicism, but presumably religion will become an entirely personal matter there, too.

That would make sense seeing as the evangelical churches rule the roost in the US.

I used to read the Economist regularly until I saw the drivel they wrote about Germany. Their research was mindblowingly shit.

Ulysses, have you ever even been to the US? I don't know where you get this idea about evangelical churches "ruling the roost".

As for the Economist's reporting on Germany, what specifically turned you off?

I read that it is still legal to kill a Welshman found within the bounds of Chester city after 8pm.

I think Hereford still has a similar law... Welshmen may be shot with a longbow on a Sunday in Cathedral Close :)

Ulysses, have you ever even been to the US? I don't know where you get this idea about evangelical churches "ruling the roost".

As for the Economist's reporting on Germany, what specifically turned you off?

No, but if you're allowed to use read material - the Economist - as your source, then so can I, heh? And there are many sources showing that evangelism is fast eclipsing the catholic and episcopalian churches in America.

Can't remember anymore wrt Economist, it was about 2/3 years ago when they brought out a special issue on Germany.

No, but if you're allowed to use read material - the Economist - as your source, then so can I, heh? And there are many sources showing that evangelism is fast eclipsing the catholic and episcopalian churches in America.

Can't remember anymore wrt Economist, it was about 2/3 years ago when they brought out a special issue on Germany.

Evangelical churches may be gaining more adherents on a percentage basis than the Catholic church, which has benefited greatly from immigration from Central and South America and the Philippines, but I believe the Mormon church is growing even faster on a percentage basis, as is the number of Muslims. At any rate, I think "eclipsing" is an exaggeration, and it is not as if evangelicals dominate the US. Interestingly, their numbers have also grown strongly in some historically Catholic countries such as El Salvador.

Article in the Guardian on Mike Huckabee, campaigning for nomination as Republican presidential candidate: Southern preacher could be saviour of the Republicans

Huckabee isn't considered one of the front runners, and the Republicans don't need a Southerner to run against Hillary Clinton since that is a strong region for them and a weak one for her; they need someone who will win votes in places like Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Missouri, Iowa, Ohio, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. IMHO, Republicans would rather see any Republican in the White House than Hillary, and Huckabee probably isn't electable.