Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Most ridiculous British laws

27 posts in this topic

I'd like to know what the penalty is for breaking the law by dying in the Houses of Parliament. Death by hanging? Life imprisonment, perhaps?

"British" laws. eh.

In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two percent)

just watch your step matey. You and me outside Marcs and Spencers. Dont forget your bow and arrow...

Act of Settlement

From time to time there has been debate over repealing the clause that keeps Roman Catholics or those who marry Roman Catholics from ascending to the throne. Proponents of repeal argue that the clause is a bigoted anachronism; Cardinal Winning, who was leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, called the act an 'insult' to Catholics. Cormac Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England, pointed out that Prince William, "can marry by law a Hindu, a Buddhist, anyone, but not a Roman Catholic".[1] Opponents of repeal, such as Enoch Powell and Adrian Hilton, feel that it would lead to the disestablishment of the Church of England as the state religion if a Roman Catholic were to assume the throne. They also point to the fact that the monarch must swear to defend the faith and be a member of the Anglican Communion, but that a Roman Catholic monarch would, like all Roman Catholics, owe allegiance to the Pope. This would, according to opponents of repeal, amount to a loss of sovereignty.

This law is total bullshit. What about the seperation of church and state? England has an official state religion. That goes for Canada too. So all you foreigners can just get off my case! :P

So all you foreigners can just get off my case!

Note to self, Check self for foreigner status, then make serious effort to get off BadBob's case.

I believe you then get transported to the house of lords...

:lol: Oh Lord ! Am dying ... of laughter :lol:

Thanks Corcaigh for making me laugh - I was so grumpy until I read that !!

I have commited Treason fore years, i always stick the queens head stamps upside down, sometimes with a litte bart :-)

So all you foreigners can just get off my case!

Ah, this must mean that I am allowed to, as you so colourfully put it, get on your case, as I'm not a foreigner, I'm English.

...I'm not a foreigner, I'm English.

Same shit.

Act of Settlement

This law is total bullshit. What about the seperation of church and state? England has an official state religion. That goes for Canada too. So all you foreigners can just get off my case!

Badbob, if you actually knew ANYTHING, I'd take you seriously. The Church of England is offically established (but only in England, not in the rest of the UK), I agree, but this seems to do more to limit the mixing of religion into politics than would be the case if the country was officially secular. (Germany is secular yet the main right of centre party is a "Christian" party, Turkey is secular yet has Islamic political parties, the US is secular but religion seems to rule the politics of many republicans).

The Queen is the Supreme Governor of the CoE and there are 26 Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords (Archbishops etc). This gives the Church an official voice in the upper chamber but no real power or influence in normal politics. It also means that in the House of Commons religion remains a non-issue between the parties and, with the exception of th NI parties, the parties aren't formed on the basis of religion like they are in many secular countries. There are Labour, Conservative and LibDem MPs from all major faiths. We don't get whacky Presidents, Senators and Governers running for office on a platform of relgion-based hate and scare-mongering.

And finally, at least we don't declare our faith in invisable sky giants (to use a BadDoggie-ism) on our money.

Was there an actual point you wish to make in your post? I don't see any relevance in what you said.

And finally, at least we don't declare our faith in invisable sky giants (to use a BadDoggie-ism) on our money.

I have to disagree with you there. I remember Blair saying he prayed to the Invisible Sky Giant before deciding to send troops off to Iraq. Same as Bush. Seems like the Invisible Sky Giant must have said "No, don't send troops" or He made a BIG mistake.

the US is secular but religion seems to rule the politics of many republicans).

If so, that's also clearly the case with a fair number of Democrats, e.g., the losing Democratic nominee in this year's gubernatorial election in Mississippi. BTW, guess who got Jimmy Carter elected in 1976 when he won every former state of the Confederacy except Virginia (the northernmost one).

Was there an actual point you wish to make in your post? I don't see any relevance in what you said.

Perhaps OG's interesting and im grunde genommen, good post contained concepts that were a bit complicated for you BadBob so I'll try and make it REAL simple:

1. The goal of speration of church and state occurs in the US and other countries.

That doesn't in itself make it a "good thing".

2. The seperation of church and state doesn't necessarily mean that the followers of invisible sky gods don't have influence in politics.

3. Some fusion of church and state doesn't mean that the followers of invisible sky gods have more influence in politics.

Personally, I think the UK should dump the reamining anti Catholic laws where they belong in the dustbin of history and disestablish the Church in England

but that doesn't negate the points OG made.

Totally agree. Europe looks more secular compared to US even though US is pure secular by law. Turkey probably is the most secular country if you look at the mainlaw but not in practice. Most radical religious people would say secularism means free practice of religion, but they would somehow want to keep it to their religion only. In reality secularism means the State has no religion, not involving in with any religious activities, or supporting any religious foundation, etc. which is impossible to find.

Totally agree. Europe looks more secular compared to US even though US is pure secular by law. Turkey probably is the most secular country if you look at the mainlaw but not in practice. Most radical religious people would say secularism means free practice of religion, but they would somehow want to keep it to their religion only. In reality secularism means the State has no religion, not involving in with any religious activities, or supporting any religious foundation, etc. which is impossible to find.

Just my anecdotal observation, but it certainly seems that the Catholic and Protestant churches have a greater role in the shaping of public policy in many European countries than they do in the US.

There was a special section on religion in politics in last week's Economist for those who are interested in the topic.

That would make sense seeing as the evangelical churches rule the roost in the US.

I used to read the Economist regularly until I saw the drivel they wrote about Germany. Their research was mindblowingly shit.