Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Germany with debts in the UK

27 posts in this topic

You can run a British IVA from Germany, but it has to run through a licensed person in the UK.

Get in touch with a debt counselling service in the UK ASAP!

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...earch&meta=

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_solutions/iva.htm

Ironically the only problem you might get is if the debt is too small - the ambulance chasers licensed professionals cannot be arsed to set the thing up. So you need to ring around to find

someone that will take you on. But you don't need the best - just someone to knock together a proposal.

I don't know if there is any difference between Germany and the UK or anywhere else for that matter. There are Germans that try to do a runner or just ignore their debts and suddenly have the balifs standing at their door and find that their debts are a lot higher than in the beginning (higher interest rates, court/balif costs etc.). Your best bet might be to go to a Schuldenberater he'd be able to give you the right advice. I think they can be found through the Sozialamt, not sure though.

It doesn't sound like our man needs to get german advisors involved. I think he needs UK based advice. I think being in Germany will be an advantage if he proposes an IVA 'cos no creditor is gonna want the added aggro of chasing for bankruptcy overseas (even if it is legally enforceable here).

Listen to what JE said as he speaketh big heapum truth sir - debt collectors can and will follow you across European borders - and they'll be charging you a pretty penny for the privilege.

If you owe any money to the inland revenue, they say thay can pass it over to the german authorities to collect