Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Paris to live

40 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I know this page is all concerning to Germany, but i need lot of help in this case. I am moving to Paris next year but i need to start knowing everything about it. If anyone has been in the lovely city and know the prices of aprts, cost of living,good clubs,etc, would be great. I´m 21 years old,student and not Bill Gate´s son, so you can have an idea ;)

Thank you and please keep in touch with me for further details in case you need it.

Wow, great!!! Do you have any msn or skype?? Like i said, i am a student ( Student budget) and i really dont know anything about the city. Give me some tipps. Thank you once again.

What will you be doing? Where? Living costs there will depend so much on the area you choose - a small walk-up in the 6th Arrondissement versus a larger appt in the 20th ... or outside of the city...

Check out http://www.appartager.com/ for shared appts. Good luck!

Oops - Saint beat me to it...

John,

Rents on the outskirts of the city are about 20€ per square meter. I pay over 31€ per square meter but I live across the street from Notre Dame.

It's best that you live in a student apartment in the 18th, 19th or 20th arrondissement. Or seek subsidized student housing through your school.

Thanks a lot for the web page. O.k i will continue my career ( International Business) in Paris School of Business. I am looking for a nice,clean,good located room. Do you think a student can live with 800 Euros per month??

In Paris,..barely.

No, you are going to have to supplment your income I think.

the metro is 53€ per month

Your rent will be about 350€ if you are lucky.

Then you need to eat, purchase school supplies, go out occassionally, sometimes buy new clothing. You need about 1200- 1500 a month. Paris in an expensive city to live in. A 250 ml beer cost 6€.

PSB is in the 11th & 12th Arron to the East of the city - I believe they have a Housing office but contact them early as I know that most of the schools had a really hard time providing housing 2 years ago and this resulted in some student strikes, but mostly in the public sector.

Look in the 11th & 12 for housing - Bastille & Nation are good areas as they have a nightlife, too. But it's Paris ;)

Make sure you get a student reduction on the "carte orange". Other than that - Saint is on the money - Paris is an expensive city.

:blink: God Jesus!!! You already scared me!!! O.k, so i have to break my ass then and make money fast in here before moving out, hahahaha!!! Can you tell me something about the French culture, i dont want to be rude or insult anyone ( I already had lot of bad experiences)

Don't worry about being rude or insulting - it is a big city, it takes all sorts, and is very flexible.

PS: But do not call the "Ober" over with a "Garcon" :o

John,

just buy a few books like! ;)

or if you're on a budget go sit on the floor of the English bookstore for the afternoon.

Gracias Zemonkey. Eres de Mexico o California?? Yo naci en Burbank!! Pero mi familia es de Venezuela. Excelente tenr a alguien que hable espanol y sepa algo de Paris. Como manifeste, crees que un estudiante pueda vivir con 800 o 1000 Euros en Paris? Que necesito saber antes de llegar alla? Es mejor pasar por Latino o como Americano?

Gracias por tu tiempo

A useful hint from the forum guidelines (so if your mensaje en español gets deleted, you will know why):

Only write in English. Posts written entirely in German or any other language, including English dialects, will be deleted.

As already mentioned, Paris is very expensive; €800 won't go a very long way so it would be a good idea to try and save some money before you relocate. Paris is a fantastic city, though, enjoy it!

Try expatica. did not do me any good when i was in Paris but may help you. Parisian culture is built on ignorance. Do not take it personally when they treat you badly,or insult you. Shout them back in English. Most of them says they dont speak English but they understand it quite well. Try Moose in St Germain if you miss American football.

Parisian culture is built on ignorance.

Would you care to explain? Perhaps I'm ignorant but I don't see what you're driving at.

Ah bon? Thanks for that eloquent and crystal-clear explanation, I'll crawl back under my rock now.

O.k guys i am asking for help in here not for fighting. I think you´ll find rude people around the world ( New York, Paris,Caracas,Frankfurt,etc.) Thank you Sharpe for your suggestion but i dont like to shout to the people. What about restaurants, clubbs, i dont want to be involved in the American or Latino culture, i want to experience real Parisian folklore.

Thanks to all the people for your time.