Personal finance software programs

37 posts in this topic

Do any of these software packages integrate with Deutsche Bank? As a recent arrival from USA, I used Quicken on my laptop and mint.com and it looks like nothing similar is available here. I see that Lexware has some form of Quicken but they don't mention DB as being one of their supported banks, which seems like a pretty notable absence.

Most German packages link with most German banks. I am not aware of a non-German package that links with any German bank.

A few years have passed without using any personal banking software and that hasn't been good for my budgeting. :) Some more Googling seems to show that outside of GNUCash, a free package with a questionable user experience, YorkshireLad6's last comment is still true. So I'm ready to bite the bullet with my vast command of German and switch to a German software package that will hook up to German banks. Quicken.de is the only one I'm aware of. Can anyone suggest any cheaper/simpler alternatives? Quicken looks fine but my needs are pretty light - I mainly want automatic import, easy categorization of transactions, and budgeting reports. If there was a simpler package with less features than Quicken, that might be better for me.

Thanks

Been using YNAB for over a year now and found it excellent for keeping control of personal finances. I don't think it links to banks though and haven't explored any automation.

You can download a full featured demo and try free for a month.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/

I use the MoneyControl smartphone app. It's not specific for Germany, but it allows you to categorize expenses and income. There is a free and paid version. With the paid version you are allowed unlimited entries and you can also generate PDF reports. I've been using it for just over a month now and I think it's a great app for a general overview of your finances/budget.

http://mobiware.de/en/moneycontrol

As mentioned above, I decided to try Quicken "auf Deutsch". I googled around and found a link for a free download of Quicken that is good until the end of 2014. So if anyone has been thinking about trying the German Quicken, you should be able to download it and use it for almost 3 months for no charge to see if it's useful. I called Deutsche Bank and they sent me a bunch of letters for HBCI with passwords and IP addresses, but so far I haven't needed it. What I had to do was go in my DB settings and enable HBCI Plus, and then Quicken was able to connect to my accounts. Pretty painless so far. The only 2 problems I have so far are:

1) All the EC card transactions don't seem to capture the name of the store - they just put a long string in the comment field which usually has the store name buried in it. So the information is there, but I need to manually edit each transaction to make it look nice. The strange thing is it still suggest a pretty good category so it's clear Quicken is reading the comment field and picking out the store name for category suggestions.

2) I have 2 "normal checking accounts" - I guess these are giro konto auf Deutsch? They both imported to Quicken but my savings account isn't hooked up yet. Not sure why yet but presumably this is possible.

On my iPhone, I used Outbank 2 and it's successor, Outbank DE. The author has a version for OS X for €19. I've been mildly satisfied with it, although the interface is a little dated.

A few months ago, I discovered MoneyMoney (only for OS X), and have never looked back, the UI is slick, it grabs my stock accounts, generates nice graphs and trends, and is also in English. I emailed the developer a couple times, and both times he wrote back on Saturday and Sunday with good answers.

There's a 30 day time-bombed trial available, if you're on OS X, check it out:

http://moneymoney-app.com

I used to use GNUCash but I've slipped out of the habit of using anything. It took a while to get to grips with it, but worked nicely once I was used to it.

HomeBank looks interesting for light use, but they haven't been interested in integrating HBCI in the past.

If you're looking for a simple and practical way to keep track of day to day expenses, I would highly recommend EEBA (now Goodbudget.com). It's browser-based but also has very handy Android & iOS apps so you can easily log expenses on the go. The free version allows 10 or so different envelopes, the paid version offers bank account integration, additional envelopes, charts, some basic analysis & other features which I've never really gone into. Another great feature is the 'household' budget so once a couple has it installed on their phones, both can see easily expenses vs. projected, etc.

I know this is an old post, but I am still looking for some decent budgeting software for my German bank accounts. I do not want to enter everything manually. I am only interested in software that does automatic downloading via HBCI, and that works on my mac.

I tried finanzblick but the interface was truly awful. Then I tried outbank and it's a bit better but I can't figure out how to make truly custom categories. Maybe I just need to play around with it some more, but I'm finding the "tag" approach a bit mystifying. There must be something easier to use.

I can try the http://moneymoney-app.com (recommended above), but wanted to check here first to find out if there are better options that have turned up in the last 3 years.

Okay, I played around with outbank some more and the budgeting capabilities seem truly primitive. It seems there is no way to set up a budgeting category outside the 9 fixed categories it offers, and there seems to be no way to see the total spent per category except for a specific month. I can't even figure out how to see all expenditures in a category. Clearly I need a different recommendation. I really want something that will "learn" how to categorize transactions based on my previous tagging, and make it easy to see how much money I've spent in a category (as well as the specific transactions) over any time frame I specify.

I haven't found anything better than MoneyMoney.  It's reporting is really weak - it doesn't have a good way for example to show you last month's spending compared to the budget.  But the automatic download works good.  You can set up rules for categorization (it doesn't really learn but lets you set up strings that belong to a category so you can customize it).  It's decent but I wish for better reporting functionality.  I just saw Outbank and was hoping it might be a better replacement but looks like maybe not..

Yeah, after playing around with MoneyMoney I also find the reporting really weak, especially when I have multiple currencies per category.

After searching around I found three more options. It's unclear to me whether they automatically download from both my German and U.S. banks. I'm going to download the trial versions and give them a try. 

Money Wiz (US)
iFinance (German)
Banktivity (US)

But if anyone has already given them a try, please save me the effort and let me know how they worked.

I belong to the Excel camp, for this at least.

My household finance spreadsheet has been developing over the last ca 10yr, but with very limited time invested into programming my own VBA scripts making all sort of graphs, trends, stats, extrapolations, blabla, I find it hard to believe I could find one that I like it better.