Personal finance software programs

40 posts in this topic

I'm looking recommendations for a software program to keep track of my personal finances. Does anyone have personal experience or recommendations on this? I've looked at Microsoft Money and Quicken, but they are either in German or already a few years old. So I'm not sure what is most suitable.

Here's some relevant info:

- operates in English

- to keep some personal accounts of where the money goes

- to keep an electronic record of bills

- costs under 100 euro

- preferably not purely for the US

- can import/export data to and from other major software programs

- can download/transfer data from internet banking to save data entry

- has info on German taxes, not essential though

- I'm not self-employed or a small business

Any advice appreciated.

I'm going to bump this as I could really do with something to help me.

I need to do a very detailed breakdown of my income and outgoings as part of my mediation process. Now I can export out of my internet banking software into a spreadsheet and do it that way but it's a thankless task going through and classifying everything.

Is there a cheap piece of software around that might help me with this. I guess if it did everything dreamer said it would be better but German , cheap and easy to use would be OK for me.

I gave up trying to find something like this in English, and resigned myself to using a program in German. In some ways its probably better, as I can then learn all the terms in German and be able to use the same language as the financial people and banks etc.

Based on my list of requirements (see first post) my favourite so far is Quicken - it seems to be one of the most popular programs. A big advantage is that it is geared to the German market, and is supposed to know about German taxes (up to a point). This will hopefully help in keeping accounts for the tax advisor. There's 3 versions at 3 different prices: Standard for 41 euro, Deluxe for 65 euro or Home + Business for 84 euro.

I haven't tried it properly yet, as I'm dreading the thoughts of all the hours that will be required to set it up and enter the data. But I'll let you know how I got on with the program if or when have something useful to say, it may be useful for someone else.

@PAS: That Quicken software can import data from your internet banking instead of using a spreadsheet, so you don't have to manually enter it all. Its supposed to be able to interpret the data too to save you the hassle, but I'll only believe that when I see how it performs.

Guys, you don't need any of those if you have Excel, create your own formulas and spread sheets, it would take less than 15 minutes. That is what I do, and is much much simpler than using Quickens or any other programs. You can even have graphs to show you where you are headed financially.

@Aschaffenburg - I'm quite sure you're right. But I'm trying to fool myself into thinking a fancy program will make the whole job easier ;)

Guys, you don't need any of those if you have Excel, create your own formulas and spread sheets, it would take less than 15 minutes. That is what I do, and is much much simpler than using Quickens or any other programs. You can even have graphs to show you where you are headed financially.

It's just the classification part. I can probably knock a small program together to do it as well but, spending all week programming, i'm a lazy sod at the weekend and looking for an easy way out.

Thanks far all the help from everybody.

Anyone have any recommendations for something that runs on a Mac? I had a look at a few of the shareware stuff out there and it's all too basic. I loved Quicken, but can't order the download version without a US billing address. I don't want anything in German. Say what you will, but I'm just too damn lazy.

Looking for some software that has an HBCI Interface so I can mange my home banking and household budget (geek or what) and wanted to ask if Quicken is still one of the best options?

I am assuming that this kind of software is localised, so a package bought from the UK market will not work connecting to a German bank, is that the case?

Many thanks!

Just a word of warning about Quicken...

Around 1 year after buying this product, Haufe/Lexware sent me an updated version. They claimed I had to actively post it back within 6 weeks, otherwise they said I was liable to pay around 60 euro for this update (which I never wanted or requested!).

Unfortunately for me, this happened at probably the worst possible moment - we were away for almost 5 weeks, moved immediately afterwards and were packing/unpacking everything in Munich. So I didn't manage to post it back in time, and started receiving reminders and warning letters to pay. I didn't have the energy to deal with this on top of 101 other jobs, so I finally just paid up for a bit of peace. But I was and am still very annoyed at what I feel is a very underhand way of making money.

Please note that Quicken is a localised version of the most popular US personal finance prgramme that I used in SanFran as well... The name eludes me..., but if you used that you should be alright with Quicken.

But I was and am still very annoyed at what I feel is a very underhand way of making money.

They didn't send it to you unannounced. You almost certainly requested it (maybe without realising it) . Lexware/Quicken has various support options which include an automated software update service (which is actually sensible to have to reflect annual tax changes) and it is easy to accidentally opt into this service when completing a return card or internet support form. It's unfortunate you were not able to return it in the time given, but that's not their fault.

Please note that Quicken is a localised version of the most popular US personal finance prgramme that I used in SanFran as well... The name eludes me..., but if you used that you should be alright with Quicken.

It's not "localised" anymore. Although similar to the original user interface on which it is based the code is now completely different to other country versions since Lexware took over the product in Germany 5 years ago. Intuit (the original manufacturer) tried to keep a common codebase but couldn't due to language and (more importantly) vastly different accounting procedures in different countries. Quicken now has more in common with other legacy Lexware accounting packages, with many modules (banking, update, tax) common across the entire range.

Hi! I'am using an application Flair Finance for keeping my family finances. You can visit Wikipedia and find comparison table of other financial apps so you can choose what you like.

the most popular US personal finance program is named Quicken. ;)

haha I like how that website explaining how their software will help with your relationship with your SO. It's cute. the bedroom is the fastest way to someone's pocketbook. ;)

I've used financial software without automatic import before, but now mint.com (norteamericano only) has totally spoiled me. So I guess Flair isn't an option for me.

@YorkshireLad6: sorry I just had a total sarcasm detecting fail.

Try here. This one I have used once for few days. I am quite lazy to use even such softwares :P . It is free and for more features u will have to upgrade.