Embarrassing mistakes made when speaking German

353 posts in this topic

Here's mine and my friends in Rothenburg still kid me about it:

"Du ich glaube Er will mich umarschen!"

Obviously I mixed "umarmen" (to hug) with "verarschen" (to fool), but when you form a mental picture of that, it's pretty funny.

I once sent an email notification that I would be moving out of my dorm. The first sentence went something along the lines of

"Ich möchte hiermit ankündigen, dass ich mich bald ausziehe..."

I don't remember the exact wording but I managed to tell them that I was about to get undressed.

I often order a LeibeWürst semmel instead of LeeberWürst. (SP)

I know when I get it wrong, coz the girl serving smiles.. :(

Shouldn't you rather ask for a Leberkäsesemmel? I thinks that's what makes her smile. And of yourse she likes your new slim looks.

I once was riding the tram with my german class while we were studying here and for whatever reason decided to have a rather loud conversation about birds. However I did not know what the plural of 'Vogel' was, so of course I just made up a word by adding a letter here and there.

Next thing I know, my professor is yelling at me to shut up. In german, I replied back: 'What?? I'm only talking about birds!'

Seems though, I made 'Vogel' into 'vögeln', and 'vögeln' is what I was talking so loudly about. :blink:

I used to mix up the words "schwül" and "schwul". One means "humid" and the other means "gay".

I used to do that too. Oh and Gesicht and Geschirr. My best one had to be about five years ago to the secretary in work though:

'Hast Du die Blumen gegessen?' So have you eaten the plants instead of have you watered them.

I knew it was wrong as soon as it came off my tongue but somehow the right word (gegossen) didn't get into my head in time. I still get teased about that when I bump into that same secretary of my old department.

I often order a LeibeWürst semmel instead of LeeberWürst. (SP)

I know when I get it wrong, coz the girl serving smiles..

Du nimmst dann lieber Würst? :ph34r:

Oh blimey we'll be back onto the schwul/schwül with all this talk about snakes and sausages. Time to get back to work I think!

My mom (rest her soul) would sometimes return to Germany with me when I used to work as a flight attendant, and her brother would pick her up at Frankfurt. One day I had a day's layover and went with them, and my mom (always willing to pay her way) would ask my uncle (in her now-mixed German-Englisch) "Bernd, hast Du genug Gas?" (meaning did he need to fill the tank with Petrol - Benzin).

He would look at me and grin and I kept waiting for him to fart.

And I will throw in another one about me, although this one may be a bit iffy as a faux pas.

My use of the word "klo" for everything to do with what happens in the bathroom led my friends to ask me, "Bill wo putzt Du Deine Zähne?" (Where do you brush your teeth?)

Correct answer: "Im Waschbecken" (the sink)

My answer: "Im Klo"

Your question would probably be: "Off the 'continental shelf' or a bit deeper?" :lol:

I used to work for a condiment manufacturer was trying to explain to a customer that our mustard is produced without preservatives. What I said was: "Der Senf wird ohne Preservative hergestellt". He couldn't stop laughing.

Mine was not really embarrassing but I excused my lateness once cos of busy tax instead of busy traffic. I did feel quite silly when I realised what I had said.