You know you're turning German when...

829 posts in this topic

thats not fair, did you know where "die sechsiger" played before you came here. britisch tv still says bayern-munich although fcb always refer to themselves as fc bayern.

actualy you know when your german when you start writing posts like the one above... :blink:

"ve are sowwy about zee var ve did not mean it und now zis american bush man is zee neue adolf..."

...or when you start counting time in minutes.

For e.g. you know the exact times the trams/trains near your house leave, so if the next tram is at 8.33, and it takes 12 minutes to walk to the stop, you can leave at about 8.20 and not have to wait too long at the stop. And then, if the tram is 30 seconds early and you missed it, you have to wait a WHOLE SEVEN MINUTES for the next one! Crap! ...(Or is this just me :unsure: )

Well I know I am ok there. I live right across from the bus stop and can still miss 3 buses in a row.

@tomchi...I second that...another one if you realise the bus is one minute late you freak out cos it probably means its not coming..darned punctual Germans

Of course, because only stupid people wouldn't know where Arsenal and Chelsea are located. I mean they are English football teams so any civilised person should know all about them.

But these aren't their names! Where does it say a football team name has to let you know where they're from? Who says "Schalke Gelsenkirchen"? Why do "Die Tottenham Hotspurs" get away with not having "London" so unaesthetically appended to their name?

With regards FCB: look at their badge, FC Bayern Muenchen is their name, so it's fine to call them Bayern Muenchen (or Munich).

And what about Real Sociedad and Atalanta? If you watched sport here, you wouldn't even know they existed.

B) (dunno what the emoticons are meant to mean, so I'll hedge my bets).

Aye, well, you're t'local you'd know that. I'm just a gloryhunting Lincoln boy :D

Whassup, Keith, anyhow - haven't seen you on H&V or in Murphy's for a while. (Sorry, Martin here btw).

And what happened to Wookie? I still have his radio ...

How do. Changed haunt, now waste all my pennies in kilians. Murphy's seems to have too many Germans in it, not much they can do about that, I suppose. Passport checks on entrance?!?!

I have no idea whats happened to Wookie, to be honest, you can consider that radio, your own. :)

Sometimes I like to pretend I am german.

I get up, cook a sausage and open a beer for breakfast, throw some kraut on there, go down to the street, light a cig, wait for the green man to cross, cluck my tongue at those jaywalking, stare at anyone not dressed as I am, pay for a paper, get on the bus and purchase a ticket and stamp it, say Grussdich and Servus to everyone, and Mahlzeit when going for lunch which will include beer.

Not so bad sometimes.

I'm still Outland or Murphy's.

Back to topic:

You know you're turning German when:

- when you pay at the supermarket checkout you count out the exact change to give to the cashier (or you fish out those cents to add to the note, without being prompted, so their job of counting the change is easier).

And what's with Germans staring at people? I used to think I had strange clothes on or something... but I am normal enough looking. It's bizarre how blatant they are with this! Anyone else have this happen?

Staring? Thats pure German. Lots of peeps have to get accustomed to the staring eyeballs, it pops up on the forum from now and again. Read a sample New to Munich from Canada. Will I survive?

ps: i am definitely staring at you right now :ph34r:

The Germans are nothing compared to Czechs when it comes to blatant staring, especially if you go outside Prague. In fact, I can't even admit that I've noticed the German stare at all in my 5 years here. :unsure:

I didn't really notice the staring either... until I went on the subway in Toronto and caught myself doing it to others. :rolleyes:

no one has mentioned the sitting down to have a pee even though as a man you can do it standing up!!!

I'm amazed that this thread has gone this far and no-one has commented on the local's habit of walking around starkers. Being a pretty broad minded person I don't see anything wrong if someone wants to sunbathe in the all-together - but walking aroundin public in a proud 'hey look at me, I'm naked' fashion is something else.

And has anyone else noticed how many of them are having a conversation/argument with themselves as they walk around the town?

And the idea that *ALL* sport *MUST* be competetive with a winner and losers. It makes cycling to work something that the Schumacher bro's must have been good at.

And you take an umbrella with you if the chance of it raining is >20% (and you know what the forecast said).

Or you wear light pastel colours in summer but automatically switch to black mid September.

I could go on but as I don't think I do these things I guess I'm still more of an observer than participant...

Have to say I must have missed all the people walking around starkers this summer! :o Apart from in the Englischer Garten where everyone was sunbathing.

Being from Manchester, I would prob take an umbrella with me even if there was a hint of cloud...I think you're turning German when you take your cagoule rolled up in the bottom of your bag!

I've also now actually started looking before crossing the cycle paths in between the pavement and the road...think I may have walked in front of at least 10 cyclists in my first week!

And I got another one on the way home:

You know you're turning German when you put your fingers in your ears when an emergency vehicle with it's sirens going drives past.

Errr what's that got to do with going native? Just protecting my eardrums from unnecessary damage.