Better quality supermarkets in Frankfurt

19 posts in this topic

Hi - is there an equivalent to 'Waitrose' here? Aldi.Lidl,Netto etc are the same as the UK and Reve is perhaps Tesco equivalent - but is there a better quality supermarket?

Also are there any French Style Hypermarkets??

Thanks

Dale (newbie)

There is nothing on the same scale as the French style hypermarkets but you might be interested in a trip to the Walmart in Dreiech. I believe they have been bought out by Real now. It is quite large and has everything you need in one go if you are looking for basics.

If you are 50 km east of Frankfurt then you will be near Kaufland at Gelnhausen. This is not comparable to a Carrefour, but it's bigger and offers more variety than the other German supermarkets. It's the only place I can go and get everyhting I need in the one shop.

Monkel

Just out of interest, there are no giant food supermarkets in D for

a simple reason. They are illegal!

When supermarkets started here a law was passed forbidding the food

sales areas of supermarkets to be more than so many square metres.

The idea was to protect corner shops (Tante Emma Laden).

The law is still in force and so food is cheap in Germany due to cut-throat

competition and no Tescopoly.

(Also (in towns) an easy cycle ride away - nice and green and healthy).

I found this thread by doing a google search for "What is the German equivalent of Waitrose?"

Every time I go back to London, it's a real treat having of all things Waitrose (or M&S) Houmous/Hummus. The Hummus in my nearest supermarkets (Rewe, Denn's, Al Natura) doesn't taste like hummus and some even have a strange consistency.

I thought at first that it was probably that English hummus was just odd, but then I had dinner at Ariston near Konstablerwache and their hummus was lovely, and flavour-wise it was totally different from German supermarket hummus but not too dissimilar from Waitrose.

It is really easy to make if you have a processor/blender, even a small one will do. 

There's a whole thread on making the perfect hummus, too.

It's probably worth getting a stick blender specifically for hummus, even better one which comes with a small processing attachment.

We should probably expect to see different things in other nations,  I think.   It's normal.    I had no idea it was not supposed to contain that sort of thing (and indeed other stuff) :o.

I usually make my own as well, as said, it's quick and easy, but the answer is in what you say about where you ate it, the best shop bought wherever we are is always from south east europe / middle eastern stores.  I didn't buy it in supermarkets in the UK either.

23 minutes ago, swimmer said:

We should probably expect to see different things in other nations,  I think.   It's normal.    I had no idea it was not supposed to contain that sort of thing (and indeed other stuff) :o.

I googled and apparently "Hummus is a spread or dip made with chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt". What is curious, is that the stuff sold in German supermarkets as Hummus seems to bear no relation in taste or texture to the Hummus in a Greek or Lebanese resturant, yet UK supermarket Hummus was at least broadly similar in taste. I'm finding Hummus in Denn's Biomarkt that doesn't even have Tahini in it.

Maybe it's my Aspergers coming out, but if something is not Hummus then it should not be labelled as such. I totally get things like "Red pepper hummus" for example, where it is the core ingredients plus red pepper, so it just tastes like Hummus plus red pepper, but the stuff in Rewe does not taste like Hummus at all.

We keep meaning to get a small blender to make our own hummus...very easy it seems.  We also miss taramasalata.  Only found some here in tiny jars...tasted awful. I'll have to find a good recipe . Any recipe and blender recommendations?

Can't help on recipes (personally hate the stuff) but a couple of years back I picked up one of the 750 Watt Bosch Stabmixers will 2 sizes of blender attachments and it's wonderful.  It's not cheap but it will puree pretty much anything, chop nuts and make a mean pesto.  I hardly every use my large food processor anymore since this little thing is more versatile and easier to clean.

A brilliant stick blender which has the tiny mixing attachment and a proper food processing attachment is the ESGE

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00949KWBK/ref=asc_df_B00949KWBK53579826/?tag=googshopde-21&creative=22398&creativeASIN=B00949KWBK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231868691720&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1416180011289666358&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044213&hvtargid=pla-420670123819&th=1&psc=1

but it is pretty expensive. I got mine in the Lakeland sale some years back, and then eventually the processing unit.

This:  https://www.amazon.de/Multiquick-Aperitive-Standmixer-Aufsatz-Edelstahl-Schneebesen-Technologie/dp/B00EQB0ZY0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1530364912&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=750w+bosch+stabmixer&psc=1

might be what chooyo is recommending, and it looks as though it would be just the job for hummus.

12 hours ago, Mackle said:

I googled and apparently "Hummus is a spread or dip made with chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt". What is curious, is that the stuff sold in German supermarkets as Hummus seems to bear no relation in taste or texture to the Hummus in a Greek or Lebanese resturant, yet UK supermarket Hummus was at least broadly similar in taste. I'm finding Hummus in Denn's Biomarkt that doesn't even have Tahini in it.

Maybe it's my Aspergers coming out, but if something is not Hummus then it should not be labelled as such. I totally get things like "Red pepper hummus" for example, where it is the core ingredients plus red pepper, so it just tastes like Hummus plus red pepper, but the stuff in Rewe does not taste like Hummus at all.

Only real hummus I've found in Frankfurt is at Galeria Kaufhof Markt on the Zeil and the best by far is at a tiny Jewish Kosher store named Migdal in Bornheim/Ostend right before Ostpark and Eisporthalle.Their hummus is imported from Israel every week along with other Israeli spreads.The main guy speaks good English too,bare in mind they keep Sabbath hours so they close early on Friday and don't reopen till Sunday morning which is a bonus imho,cause where else can you buy good hummus on a Sunday in Germany?The frozen pita bread they sell is the best I've had in Frankfurt as well

https://www.facebook.com/Migdal-1884452798452994/

8 hours ago, Capt. Beyond said:

Only real hummus I've found in Frankfurt is at Galeria Kaufhof Markt on the Zeil and the best by far is at a tiny Jewish Kosher store named Migdal in Bornheim/Ostend right before Ostpark and Eisporthalle.Their hummus is imported from Israel every week along with other Israeli spreads.The main guy speaks good English too,bare in mind they keep Sabbath hours so they close early on Friday and don't reopen till Sunday morning which is a bonus imho,cause where else can you buy good hummus on a Sunday in Germany?The frozen pita bread they sell is the best I've had in Frankfurt as well

https://www.facebook.com/Migdal-1884452798452994/

I wish I had known about Migdal for the last seven months I have lived on Bornheim Mitte - I move out of the immediate area on Wednesday, so I have to quickly try this hummus! Many thanks :)

@kiplette and @chooyo thanks for the blender suggestions, sounds like something every kitchen needs!