Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frankfurt book club, November 2007 meet up

Book choice for November   8 votes

1. 1. Which book would you prefer?

• The French Lieutenant's Woman, John Fowles
    • The Summer before dark, Doris Lessing
    • Null vote

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

I know it is a bit early but well nice to be organised and give people the chance to decide so that we all have time to order the book.

The suggestions so far have been:

"The Long Ships" by Frans Gunnar suggested by Chucha

"Jihad Girls" (sorry cannot find author) suggested by Clabrazil

If anybody wants to suggest anything else and is interested in coming along then please do so and as soon as we have a date for November we can do a poll. I suggested this months book so only fair for others to get a go :D We can then go with the majority.

OK well after such a lovely evening last night I am keen to get the next book going.

I checked on Amazon and Play.com and it looks like anything by Doris Lessing has a very long delivery time or are out of stock. I checked Hugendubel and they say order time is 10-14 days. So we'd need to order soon really.

I think The Golden Notebook would be the best choice. What do others think?

I just checked on amazon.com and The Golden Notebook has ~700 pages. Don't you think it would be a bit long? I checked for a smaller book, and "The summer before dark" looks interesting. Or maybe something else, she seems to be quite productive ;)

Oh and I just called Hugendubel and they don't have it in stock either. Delivery for Amazon was 3-6 weeks as well.

However Hugendubel said they could reserve us 10 copies and we could go in and collect them at our leisure. They'll take about 10-14 days. So that is probably the best idea oh and we would not be compelled to buy all 10 copies which is good :D

What does everyone think?

Hi, just one suggestion when nominating a book for the meeting,

could the person write what is the book about? I know, I know, go to amazon and find a description, but if it's not too much trouble, and in any case the person nominating the book should know its content, a little description will help in whether to participate or not.

Cheers

Hi, just one suggestion when nominating a book for the meeting,

could the person write what is the book about?

In a nutshell 'feminism'

I know, I know, go to amazon and find a description

Here is the Amazon synopsis :P

Synopsis

A middle-aged woman's search for freedom, this is classic Lessing, here given a stunning new image. Her four children have flown, her husband is otherwise occupied, and after twenty years of being a good wife and mother, Kate Brown is free for a summer of adventure. She plunges into an affair with a younger man, travelling abroad with him, and on her return to England, meets an extraordinary young woman whose charm and freedom of spirit encourages Kate in her own liberation. Kate's new life has brought her a strange unhappiness, but as the summer months unfold, a darker, disquieting journey begins, devastating in its consequences.

a little description will help in whether to participate or not.

It's not like we talk strictly about the book, or read it aloud in turns :lol: So when making this important decision, take into account the nice company, book swap and refreshments.

In a nutshell 'feminism'

Agh...trying to scare guys off? ;)

Well, not super super keen (the latest one, the Cleft sounds a bit more interesting to me, but rather just as hard to come by I think) seeing as how themes seem somewhat similar to the book we just read, but really...I'm easy so long as it is effortlessly purchase-able.

I´m in for "the summer before dark". The Hugendubel service sounds very good. We should really decide on the next club book within the next days...

We should really decide on the next club book within the next days...

Yes we should I agree - ket's see what else is suggested on the weekend :P

Please count me in for the next meeting as well!

How's about a postmodern novel like "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles? I heard it's an interesting book.

That does sound interesting yes :D There are only two copies left at Amazon though. Same situation as Doris Lessing. I will do a poll. But my suggestion would be we do both books one for November and the other for the December (or next meetup) when we have it. So we can do both books :D

For those who would like a bit more information here are the synopses from Amazon:

The French Lieutenant's Woman

Synopsis

Of all John Fowles' novels The French Lieutenant's Woman received the most universal acclaim and today holds a very special place in the canon of post-war English literature. From the god-like stance of the nineteenth-century novelist that he both assumes and gently mocks, to the last detail of dress, idiom and manners, his book is an immaculate recreation of Victorian England. Not only is it the epic love story of two people of insight and imagination seeking escape from the cant and tyranny of their age, The French Lieutenant's Woman is also a brilliantly sustained allegory of the decline of the twentieth-century passion for freedom.

The Summer before dark

Synopsis

A middle-aged woman's search for freedom, this is classic Lessing, here given a stunning new image. Her four children have flown, her husband is otherwise occupied, and after twenty years of being a good wife and mother, Kate Brown is free for a summer of adventure. She plunges into an affair with a younger man, travelling abroad with him, and on her return to England, meets an extraordinary young woman whose charm and freedom of spirit encourages Kate in her own liberation. Kate's new life has brought her a strange unhappiness, but as the summer months unfold, a darker, disquieting journey begins, devastating in its consequences.

Voting will close on Wednesday at 13:00 giving everyone enough time to order the book and read it before we meet in November.

I voted, but I think your idea is really good - to have one book for November and one for December. We could toss a coin to decide which is when.

In a nutshell 'feminism'

Here is the Amazon synopsis

well you scared me right away with that description. I know Mrs. lessing is the Nobel Prize winner, but I am not definitely into her novels.

I prefer non-fictions books so a good discussion of the subject is more relevant to me than a love story during the XIX century or any love story...(like those suggested on the poll started by Purple Muffin).

Sorry but I have to pass on this one. :(

Yes I agree so think we should do that :D Also I have some copies of the Doris Lessing book on order at Hugendubel - although that doesn't need to be a deciding factor as we can cancel order with no obligation to buy :D