Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

English-speaking community in Erfurt

20 posts in this topic

and apart from the Stammtisch mentioned above any other events?

Preferably good craic with a "youngish",(OK, I am 30 but I still like to consider myself as such) crowd?

Well, we usually hang out at Mc Kinelly's at Johannesstraße on Fridays and at Modern Masters on Tuesdays. There's an English Stammtisch at the Steinhaus. (I don't go there, though). Hopefully we could meet up somewhere. Hoping to bump into you soon!

Hi cd,

thanks for the reply. Who normally turns up at Mckinellys and modern masters? Is anybody and everbody welcome?

thanks

Benj

There are not that many English speakers in Erfurt. Having now returned again to Erfurt, I can see that it has not changed.

Some possibilities:

- English Stammtisch (univ-based but open to all)...Mondays, 8pm at Steinhaus

- English Film Night at Engelsburg...alternating Mondays, 8pm (alternating with the Stammtisch)

- German-American Society (low profile at the moment because of change of President), but will get going again

with better atmosphere as of March

meet on Wednesdays, 8pm at Louisiana at Futterstrasse

- Toastmasters...coming soon.

- Intl Stammtisch...every 3rd Thursday, 8pm at Cafe Nerly...Bahnhof Strasse

Let me if you are looking for something more specific.

Barbara

to be fair there are quite a lot of native speakers in erfurt and surrounding areas. bad lang, weimar, different places like that.

i personally stay away from that 'scene' but it definitely is there if you look for it

the 'kino klub' also shows english films sometimes, which probably attract some native speakers

Hello!

I'm from a neighbour small city of Erfurt, where nothing usually happens))But I would like to go to some rock concert,(is what I like), could be in some pub or whatever..

here I found on internet some event: http://www.qype.com/events/317683-The-Band-Of-Heathens-Museumskeller-Biergarten-Erfurt (don't be afraid --it's not spam)

in general it's some concert of band I don't know))(but at least smth) on 10th of February

If someone wants to go with me--will be nice. Plus if someone knows any other better place or event where to go--tell me.

I'm not from Erfurt so I have bad orientation where is it better.

Ksenia

New grad student from the US here living in Ilmenau. Was wondering if you guys still meet like mentioned above. Would love to meet and talk with others over some baby-back ribs!

good stuff. i'm moving to saalfeld-rudolstadt (1 hour from Erfurt) later this month and could probably enjoy having the occasional english conversation now and then. Also looking for stuff to do.

my girlfriend is a local. i've coming to this area after having previously lived and worked in singapore, scotland, chicago and beijing.

Out of the possibilities so kindly listed, which is the best day to attend such a gathering in Erfurt?

Hi everybody!

I do really hope someone's gonna read and reply to this post ;-)

I have got a job proposal in Erfurt and seriously considering to start the recruitment process. I am living in Belfast now, and moved here less than three months ago.

The only thing that is preventing me from jumping at this chance is that I don't speak any German. Therefore, I was wondering if there's a sort of English community in Erfurt which I can join in.

Of course, learning German will be customary as it is the first towards integration, but I think I have still so much to learn in order to improve my English.

By the way, I am Italian and at work I will mainly use English, French and a bit of Italian. So, ready to start learning German but really scared of spending my spare time at home because of language barriers and not being involved in the community.

Any info dealing with housing, gym and German courses are very welcomed.

Many thanks!

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Here is some of the info I had already posted:

There are not that many English speakers in Erfurt. Having now returned again to Erfurt, I can see that it has not changed.

Some possibilities:

- Italian, Spanish, French, English Stammtisch (univ-based but open to all)...at the Engelsburg (during the semester)

- Italian, Span, Fr, English Film Night at Engelsburg...alternating Mondays, 8pm (check http://www.eburg.de/programm/programm_index.html

- German-American Society (meet on Wednesdays, 8pm at Louisiana at Futterstrasse)

- Toastmasters...coming soon.

- Intl Stammtisch...every 3rd Thursday, 8pm at Cafe Nerly...Bahnhof Strasse

There is an intensive German course at Bauhaus Uni in Weimar beginning on August 8 (4 hrs/day, 2 or 4-wk course)

http://www.uni-weimar.de/summerschool/en/welcome/languages/deutsch-in-weimar/

I know of two good German teachers/tutors, so you could jumpstart your German with 1-1 classes before continuing with a INTEGRATIONSKURS in the summer (financially supported by the German govt for language to new citizens). However, I am sure your employer has told you all about that.

The gym at ANGER (located in the post office bldg) with windows and display visible from Hugendubel...has some English trainers in there.

Housing? www.wg-suche.de Are you looking for a flatshare? or-------------?

Anyway, if you have other questions, let me know.

Barbara

Let me if you are looking for something more specific.

Barbara

German -American Society meets every Wednesday.

Global Salon meets with expats on last Sunday of the month with potluck lunch and presentation followed by discussion.

Expat meetup on Friday evening.

Next PECHAKUCHA on May 7.

Barbara