Crazy political correctness in the UK

75 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, kiplette said:

What Would Jesus Do?

Rarely actually heard anyone use that, definitely not in Jewish company.

What a thought ;)

You need to hang out with American rapture evangelical wingnuts to appreciate wwjd.

12 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Is it still OK to say, "WWJD"? 

Isn't that the symbol of hypocrisy? Talk about WWJD, but do the opposite? 

Basically, you can say that Jesus was the first PC man in the world. 

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Basically, you can say that Jesus was the first PC man in the world. 

The illegitimate son of an adolescent adulterous lying mother (yeah, it was the holy spirit alright!), who liked prostitutes and hanged around 12 party going sailors?

The one that was so politically incorrect that made his own religion?

I would agree he was the first zombie, returning from the dead and giving us endless zombie tv series.

18-Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph,* but before they lived together, she was found with child through the holy Spirit.

19-Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man,* yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly.

20-Such was his intention when, behold, the angel of the Lord* appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her.

Mathew, chapter 1

23 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

It´s not "going". There are tens of thousands of patents with that terminology. It is still the widest used terms. If you try to remove it, a huge number of scripts will fail because they expect default names. And especially it means nothing for people who don´t have english as their primary language. In a Portuguese technical conversation I would still use the term "slave" in English, without the negative conotation. This is mostly an english speaking country issue.

Well, I live in the UK and I work in a field (scientific computing) that deals among other things with a lot of databases and I can tell you, it's definitely going.

I have to keep software up to date for other reasons (we are changing data access protocols at the moment, oh the fun) all the time. A name change like e.g. master -> primary, slave -> secondary is really an update like any other.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I would agree he was the first zombie, returning from the dead and giving us endless zombie tv series.

It was easy to be a zombie in times when there was no protocol of declaring someone dead. I guess, no one even measured his pulse. 

On 24.11.2020, 10:07:43, MikeMelga said:

The illegitimate son of an adolescent adulterous lying mother (yeah, it was the holy spirit alright!), who liked prostitutes and hanged around 12 party going sailors?

The one that was so politically incorrect that made his own religion?

I am not at all religious and don't agree with the blind faith of people who are, irrespective of what religion it is. I also don't agree with people who make insulting comments about other people's beliefs.

If you don't like it, just walk away.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

I am not at all religious and don't agree with the blind faith of people who are, irrespective of what religion it is. I also don't agree with people who make insulting comments about other people's beliefs.

I'm making fun of the tool. We need the tool to control the meeks. The world cannot run properly without the meeks. But meeks without the tool go irrational, so we need the tool.

If I wanted to perfect the tool narrative, it would paradoxically be worst, as the meeks somehow prefer incoherence. Therefore, praise the tool and all its great imperfections!

1 hour ago, Acton said:

If you don't like it, just walk away.

Where to?

On 23/11/2020, 15:38:28, SpongeOver said:

From a South African: You cannot call a black person "coloured" in South Africa. Colourds are a whole race on their own. Not sure if they'd be too happy if you mix them up

They wouldn´t since blacks have privileges over coloureds in South Africa, such as lower hurdles to get into university. Unless that has changed since I left the country in 2011.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I'm making fun of the tool. We need the tool to control the meeks. The world cannot run properly without the meeks. But meeks without the tool go irrational, so we need the tool.

If I wanted to perfect the tool narrative, it would paradoxically be worst, as the meeks somehow prefer incoherence. Therefore, praise the tool and all its great imperfections!

Written without irony by someone who is fully supportive of police state tactics to control the population through an exaggerated health scare.   🤡

You think you are Galileo when you are actually amplifying the message of the Church.   UFB.    Please point me to a single passage on TT where you make an argument which is not a regurgitation of conventional wisdom. 

What would Hitler,  Stalin or an autocratic Pope from the middle ages do?   Open up society OR use the situation to enact arbitrary lockdowns under the guise of protecting the sheep?

There truly is nothing new under the sun.   

2 hours ago, jeba said:

They wouldn´t since blacks have privileges over coloureds in South Africa, such as lower hurdles to get into university. Unless that has changed since I left the country in 2011.

The colourds are quite proud of their race and so are the blacks. But, you're right. It was that way when I left in 2018 as well. Perhaps worse than in 2011.

Crazy "far-right", er no left wing guy Nick Cave on this subject, which actually appeared in the Guardian:

Dear Valerio and Frances,

Mercy is a value that should be at the heart of any functioning and tolerant society. Mercy ultimately acknowledges that we are all imperfect and in doing so allows us the oxygen to breathe — to feel protected within a society, through our mutual fallibility. Without mercy a society loses its soul, and devours itself.

Mercy allows us the ability to engage openly in free-ranging conversation — an expansion of collective discovery toward a common good. If mercy is our guide we have a safety net of mutual consideration, and we can, to quote Oscar Wilde, “play gracefully with ideas.”

Yet mercy is not a given. It is a value we must nurture and aspire to. Tolerance allows the spirit of enquiry the confidence to roam freely, to make mistakes, to self-correct, to be bold, to dare to doubt and in the process to chance upon new and more advanced ideas. Without mercy society grows inflexible, fearful, vindictive and humourless.

Frances, you’ve asked about cancel culture. As far as I can see, cancel culture is mercy’s antithesis. Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world. Its once honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) — moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption. It has become quite literally, bad religion run amuck.

Cancel culture’s refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas has an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society. Compassion is the primary experience — the heart event — out of which emerges the genius and generosity of the imagination. Creativity is an act of love that can knock up against our most foundational beliefs, and in doing so brings forth fresh ways of seeing the world. This is both the function and glory of art and ideas. A force that finds its meaning in the cancellation of these difficult ideas hampers the creative spirit of a society and strikes at the complex and diverse nature of its culture.

But this is where we are. We are a culture in transition, and it may be that we are heading toward a more equal society — I don’t know — but what essential values will we forfeit in the process?

Love, Nick

PC is a bad religion. It makes people miserable, and leads to them ending up in therapy.

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/what-is-mercy-for-you/

Allo Allo Gif GIFs | Tenor

I am making an executive decision to put a moratorium on any and all discussions on both the use of the term Neger and the tern Negerkuss/Mohrenkopf.  (In case you are wondering where your post(s) went.)

It has been done to death on TT and there is no convincing one side or the other to change their minds.  All it does is sow disharmony and bad feelings.  

Everyone has made their point a thousand times and it serves no purpose except to make us hate each other.  No one can win.

Any and all references to it will be removed on sight.  This is not an issue up for democratic debate.  It is done.  If you don't like it, die mad.

End PSA.