Crazy political correctness in the UK

75 posts in this topic

back home kindergardens are no longer allowed to sing "ba ba black sheep" instead they have to sing "ba ba rainbow sheep"...

my response when i heard this?

"is the sheep gay now??"

Janx, I'm dancin' if you're askin'.

Well crusoe it is Friday ;)

And on that note I'm outta here! Have a good weekend folks...

this is honestly true - we were going to publish some literature for a client that included the term 'brainstorm' and we had to change it to 'thought shower' in case we offended someone with epilepsy. Would a person with epilepsy really be offended by the term??? sometimes this world just seems absolutely bananas

Yeah, the ba ba "rainbow" sheep one i'm aware of.

Oh and "chalk-board" not black-board.

And my own fav after a first-aid course a few years back - "individually wrapped, self adhesive, sterile dressing = plaster. :rolleyes:

Fairytale of New York: BBC Radio 1 will not play original version  (BBC, 19.11.20)

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality. It will instead play an edited version with different lyrics sung by MacColl.

But Radio 1 has decided younger listeners who are unfamiliar with the track would find some of the words stark and not in line with what they would expect to hear on air.

What. On. Earth! 

What they gonna do next?   

Ban 'White Christmas' cos it's racist! 

You couldn't make it up! 

23 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Ban 'White Christmas' cos it's racist! 

Well, not Christmas, but "white list" and "black list", widely used in Software, and with no racist background, is now being considered racist.

Same as "master" and "slave". And for some reason now I have idiots on my team saying I can't use "man-month" and can't use terms like "resources" when it involves people!

32 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Well, not Christmas, but "white list" and "black list", widely used in Software, and with no racist background, is now being considered racist.

Same as "master" and "slave". And for some reason now I have idiots on my team saying I can't use "man-month" and can't use terms like "resources" when it involves people!

If you cried racism during the George Floyd controversy to ingratiate yourself with the mob and seem progressive (you did ;) ) then i hope you don't enjoy the ride.   

🤡

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

If Christians can be offended by "daemons" and "abort" in Linux, why someone cannot be offended by "black list"? 

It's just a fucking list, rename it and move on. 

This cry about "political correctness" actually irritates me much more than political correctness itself, because it is so loud. I don't like many changes in the language that are happening now, but I also don't think it worth my time discussing them. Also, if it makes whoever happy to rename "White House" into "Unicorn House" name me even one reason why not to? 

26 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

happy to rename "White House" into "Unicorn House" 

Paint it bright unicorn colours first though. It would make a nice change. :) 

12 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Paint it bright unicorn colours first though. It would make a nice change. :) 

I thought unicorns were white, ( oops-meaning white coloured, oh no not that word, I mean like coffee creamer), ah figured it since they are somewhat horsey perhaps it is better to say grey, oh no maybe being called horsey is a derogatory  term for any unicorns out there!:)

16 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Same as "master" and "slave".

Oh God yes, we are gonna have to rename a bunch of fields in the high availability stuff, and everybody is meddling with the nomenclature *groan*.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

This cry about "political correctness" actually irritates me much more than political correctness itself, because it is so loud. I don't like many changes in the language that are happening now, but I also don't think it worth my time discussing them. 

If only someone had told FA Chairman Chairperson Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman after apologising for saying 'coloured footballers'  (SKY News, 11.11.20)

Greg Clarke has resigned as FA chairman in the wake of referring to black footballers as "coloured" while giving evidence to MPs.

Clarke used the phrase when answering a question around the difficulty of gay players in the men's game coming out because of social media backlash during a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee meeting on Tuesday.

The former FA chairman said: "If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media... social media is a free-for-all."

A few minutes later, DCMS committee member Kevin Brennan MP asked Clarke if he wished to withdraw the use of the outdated word "coloured".

Why is ‘coloured’ offensive? History of the term after Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman over comments  (ITV News, 11.11.20)

Experts say the word “coloured” has been considered unacceptable in the UK since the 1960s and 1970s as language evolved and it became commonplace to say black.

However, it may still be used today among some older generations who believe saying black sounds impolite. It is also still used in South Africa.

57 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I thought unicorns were white, (oops-meaning white coloured, oh no not that word, I mean like coffee creamer), ah figured it since they are somewhat horsey perhaps it is better to say grey, oh no maybe being called horsey is a derogatory  term for any unicorns out there

Maybe they are, but if you google unicorn colour, a lot of nice bright colours appear. I'm sure they can stretch to a few cans of coloured paint over there. 

Barely any skin is actually black or white anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about avoiding these words. 

I know someone of mixed race who said to me theirs was mocha coloured. From then on I've always thought of mine, being British, as tea-coloured. :) 

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I thought unicorns were white, ( oops-meaning white coloured, oh no not that word, I mean like coffee creamer), ah figured it since they are somewhat horsey perhaps it is better to say grey, oh no maybe being called horsey is a derogatory  term for any unicorns out there!:)

Ah!  Yes, unicorns!  That's a very nice link. 

Apparently, Gammons are white, too, which must mean it is a racial slur, or?

On 9/28/2020, 11:34:03, murphaph said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the looks on their big gammon faces when awful white immigrants from Poland are replaced with (in their racist eyes only!!) even worse: Brown people!!!!

There's a lot of subtle justification going on in this thread, seeking to excuse racists from their vote. Perhaps if no excuses were made for those sorts of people in 1933 tens of millions of people wouldn't have paid with their lives.

On 9/2/2019, 1:52:39, Wulfrun said:

A leaver on FB asked me why we refer to them as gammon...

I thought this was a suitable reply - Since leavers are so looking forward to the disaster that is brexit, we just assume they would be happy to sacrifice themselves when food shortages become critical, and I understand that human flesh tastes a lot like gammon QED

Gammon (insult)

Gammon is a pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions, as compared to the type of pork of the same name.

In 2018, it became particularly known as a term to describe either those on the political right or those who supported Brexit.[1][4] There is considerable debate over whether, due to its origins as a reference to skin color, the term is racist.

Murphy banging on about racism while using racial slurs. 

You couldn't make it up! 

It´s interesting to speculate how far this PC could go. Think about it...

Classical music is white, the sciences are white, mathematics a tool of oppression for the dumbed down of society.

In my opinion PC has created a nation of pampered and imbecile peasants clamoring for society to stoop down to their level. We have at last achieved what Marx only dreamed about, true communism, a dictatorship of the proletariat, with a lot noise and no brains and by looking at Johnson, the rule of the unfit.

I for one don´t see why I should be ashamed of being white.