TT Paddlers - canoeing and kayaking group

350 posts in this topic

On Sunday we talked about the possibility of a trip to the Ammer on the 11th November. To turn this in to reality we need to:

1) Ensure there are enough people willing and able to tackle this class 2/3 river with sufficient cars available for the shuttle.

2) Check access - there was some talk that the river might have a closed season.

3) Check water levels are sufficient.

Dealing with each in turn:

1) Please post here to indicate your interest and whether or not you can drive/take boats

2) The guide book that I have suggests seeking up to date advice from the "Surf und Kajak Hutte in Peissenberg" on access - any German speaking volunteers for this?

3) The guide book indicates that 8 cumecs is the minimum required (as measured at the take out) - I believe this is the gauge at Peissenberg which is currently indicating at almost 9 cumecs but with a downwards trend. Obviously we'll have to make a call on this closer to the day.

This TT paddlers group sounds great. Unfortunately, being stuck in Frankfurt, I'll not be attending too soon. I wonder if there is anywhere near Frankfurt that this could be done? Ok, the Main but it's big and flat and not so clean. Anyone got any ideas?

@bobD and Frankfurt Paddlers

Perhaps you could get a car-load of Frankfurt based paddlers together sometime and come and join us, maybe the journey south wouldn't be so dire with some company. There are enough options for paddling down here to fill a whole weekend if you were interested in making a slightly longer trip. This coming weekend for example, in addition to the Ammer on Sunday, I think some of the guys are also looking to go to the Eiskanal at Augsberg on Saturday.

Also, if you come up with some trips around Frankfurt I'm sure we could get together a few people to join you there once in a while.

Having reread the access info it looks like the Ammer will be out-of-bounds :(

Found this on www.drkayak.com

Summary of access agreement is;

• Paddling restricted to between 1st May and 15th October
  • No paddling below 68cm on the gauge at Ammermuhle
  • Max group size of 5 people
  • No egress onto river banks except at designated points.

Polar and I were thinking that 15 October actually read 15 November. Wishful thinking!

BTW I'm picking up the RPM-Max today and I aim to have it rigged in time for the weekend, this means that the H3-255 could be available* should anyone fancy their chances in the big bouncy boat.

*It's only the boat though and a spare PFD - I don't have a spare deck, paddle or helmet to lend.

Yep the Ammer is out of bounds

www.kajak-channel.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=460&&POSTNUKESID=923f16903b8a1f29e990f51ecba138d6)

I`d be up for Augsburg Saturday or Sunday...or both :D

Okay, we can't paddle the Ammer this weekend but for future reference...

• Max group size of 5 people

I wonder how this restriction is interpreted?

How is a group defined; what happens if your group happens to bump into another group on the water; what is the accepted/required interval between groups; ...

Think the "rule" is to stop commercial groups. I`m sure if ten of us "bump" into one another, it would be ok. Plus they godda catch us first!

The full trip looks like a good shoulder loosener in the touring boats and maybe a good opportunity to get Jon's open boat back on the water (maybe we could rig a sail and try a spot of canoe sailing too?). If we go with the shorter boats then I'd guess we'd have to cut down on the distance.

Either way I'd be interested.

I'd be up for that on Sunday.

Looks a long way. Any idea how much time we would need?

the whole route 31 km according to google how long it takes depend on slowes paddler

The full trip looks like a good shoulder loosener in the touring boats and maybe a good opportunity to get Jon's open boat back on the water (maybe we could rig a sail and try a spot of canoe sailing too?). If we go with the shorter boats then I'd guess we'd have to cut down on the distance.

Yes!!! Like it.

Bring the mast and asymmetric from the ISO and fit it to the Canadian. Lash on the wings and a trapeeze, or two. 31km ?!!? whad'ya reckon Dave about an hour? Then we wait in the bar at the bottom for the others :D

The end to end distance for the route illustrated between Pulvermuehle and Ebermannstadt looks to be ~28km (~17.5 miles). How long that would take depends on a whole lot of variables: speed of flow; number of portages (looks like 10 weirs on the full stretch); number of rest stops; stamina/speed of the weakest paddler; type of boats; etc.

Personally, I'd feel reasonably comfortable to cover that sort of distance in my touring boat in half a day (3 - 4 hours) and probably a bit less if there were little or no difficult portages involved on a river with a reasonable flow. The same distance in a short boat would be an altogether different proposition though and given that as a group we haven't done any trips over any real distance I would suggest that we consider starting with something rather shorter than the full distance so that we can assess, as a group, what our range is.

Just from the flyer I would suggest that we might try the Muggendorf/Beru to Ebermannstadt in the first instance. I suggest this because:

1) There's carparking at both ends.

2) There's only one weir to negotiate.

3) The total distance is ~8.5km which I think is easily manageable in short boats.

4) There's the option for anyone not feeling comfortable to opt out at Streitberg which is approximately half way.

That said I've no idea whether or not this stretch is good/bad relative to the rest and I don't have the necessary German skills to figure very much out from the flyer either.

This trip was an invitation from a paddler Graham & I met last week at Ismaning, seems to know the area well and suggested it as a fun float and there will be some other local paddlers to. I would happily paddle the open C with the beer :P

This trip was an invitation from a paddler Graham & I met last week at Ismaning, seems to know the area well and suggested it as a fun float and there will be some other local paddlers to. I would happily paddle the open C with the beer

In that case let's simply say yes and defer decisions on the logistics to the local expert... ;)

Where and when do we meet?

Dave, I'm on for an afternoon trip to Augsburg.

Sunday sounds very interesting. We should definately take the locals up on their offer.

Following info on Wiesent from "local" paddler.

Coming up to your suggestion in your forum to paddle the Wiesent on Sunday some more information from my side as I am “very local