TT Paddlers - canoeing and kayaking group

350 posts in this topic

post-16-1192613447.gif
TT Paddlers is a loose collection of English-speaking kayakers and canoeists who regularly meet up for paddle sessions in and around Munich.

Check this discussion for updates about forthcoming outings.

See also the related discussion: General chat about kayaking and canoeing around Munich.

Plus, photos of recent outings:

I seem to recall that a number of us (myself included) won't be able to paddle this weekend. So looking ahead to the following weekend I'd like to propose a trip to Ismaning Bridge.

DATE: Sunday 28th October

TIME: 11:00 - ???

PLACE: Carpark on the east side of the river, and on the north side of the main road

About this location:

• The Isar at Ismaning bridge provides a good introduction to moving water and for practicing basic maneuvers such as breaking in/out of eddies and ferry glides.
  • Parking is close to the river but space is limited - although at this time of the year this shouldn't be a problem
  • To the south of the bridge the river is wide and quite slow moving with some big eddies behind the bridge supports - there's also a nice spot for seal launching down the bank (something like a 2 - 3m slide down the bank with a 30cm drop into the water at the end).
  • To the north of the bridge there is a short section of reasonably benign rapids with the main water channel being through the center, left and right channels are only runnable at high water levels.
  • Dependent on water levels there's a bit of a wave for the more intrepid beginners and intermediate paddlers at the bottom of the main channel.
  • As the river widens out again the water slows and in this section there are natural eddies on both sides of the river which provide good opportunities for eddy hopping practice for the novice white water paddlers.
  • There is usually sufficient slack water along the east side of the river to paddle back upstream and make the eddy hopping section a circuit.
  • For the outdoor dining fans the location offers good potential with some wide gravel banks - I'll bring the BBQ's along.

NB Despite the spot being relatively friendly please be prepared to get wet - please dress accordingly.

Won't be able to make this one as I'll be in South Africa...

Could someone take a long a camera and get some more shots for the photo album ?

Cheers

If I wanted to turn up with camera (and not paddle) is there any public transport near there?

I just saw this thread and was thinking of coming along with my camera too but Pootle seems to have that covered.

So my next scroungy question is: Is there anyone who will have gear/kayak to lend to someone who wants to give it a go? All I have is water shoes and a shorty wetsuit(Brrr). pretty please? :)

Hi Tom17,

There's usually opportunity to borrow boats and paddles - not everyone will want to be on the water all day.

If you get the opportunity you might look at getting a rash vest to wear with your shorty, it's not essential but it's a relatively cheap way of keeping yourself warm whilst on/in the water.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

JG

OK then I come along and decide what to do when I get there. I will bring my shorty but not buying anything else as I am leaving Munich in a month or so. I will just freeze me nuts off, or not bother :)

I just came back into town so would be up for a paddle at Issmaning Bridge tommorrow if anyone else is up for it. It looks like some of the river levels are up from the snow last 24hrs, so the Loisach or Ammer might be ok if anyone feels like venturing further afield..Dave

Jon & I will be at Issmaning bridge after 2pm for a couple of hours if anyone wants to paddle in the snow...good spring training opportunity! :P

Dave

FYI, Jon & I paddled at Issmaning bridge yesterday. The water level was the lowest its been all summer, although the wave is still surfable and its still a fun and easy spot. As for next weekends meet there, be warned that the water temp has dropped a lot since last week. Being upside down is unpleasant and swimming downright miserable. If you are planning to paddle with us at the weekend, be prepared for the cold. I will dig out what extra neoprene I can muster. It is essential to have a full set of dry and warm clothing to change into and some hot liquid. Yesterday it was snowing while we were on the water. While paddling its possible to stay quite warm but once you swim you need to be able to get warm and dry quickly. If its snowing or raining next weekend, we can bring a warmup tent and set that up on the bank there. Just be warned and be prepared! Also consider not paddling and just eating! :P A good venue to discuss our winter ski program around the campfire...yes we WILL build a fire!!! :)

@WK: I could pick you up from Lohhof at 10:30ish when I travel over to PQ's to pick up boats*

* I'm thinking that I might take the tourers along (as well as my ww boat) to explore the river up and downstream of the bridge should the prevailing conditions make playing in the moving water not so appealing. These boats could also be available for anyone wishing to try kayaking for the first time with concerns about getting wet and cold at this time of year.

I'll also bring both BBQ's and something to eat - probably a chili or a stew.

Is the fire being lit when it gets dark, or as soon as we set up base camp?

Is it legal to have an open fire? Do we even care if its legal or not?

Madax...you worried about gettin cold!? I´d light the fire right when we make base camp, n feed it til we´re done. Legal? I´d call it community service...all that untidy drifwood lyin around...lucky theres folk like us to clean it all up. I´ll bring real beer this time to wash down the food.

Might even bring my Yak. ;)

I just like the notion that a MaxAxeMurderer would be concerned about the legality of anything...! :blink:

A PC madaxemurderer could only happen in Germany! After what Dave told me about the place, may need the fire for protection. What's on the menu for this weekend JG?? Large meatballs in gravy?