What are you cooking today?

3,552 posts in this topic

Pork schnitzel cut in strips, canned peaches, chilli and feta cheese. It needs some fine tuning but definitely has potential.

pork with a bread and marmite crust and a light ale sauce

Kind of made up as I go along.

No shit.

I'm cooking something quick and easy. A red lentil soup using frozen organic soup vegetables. It's done in 30 minutes.

I´ll be on mozarella and tomatoes this evening - that´s about my level of "cooking"!!

Saturday I got in the cooking mood so I cooked up some ground beef, with dried bread crumbs, onion, garlic, freshly crushed cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and some 'wild game fond'. Hacked the top off a couple peppers and cleaned them out. layered the meat into the peppers with freshly grated Parmesan and plonked them into the oven, next to some veggies I had roasting. I fried up some eggplant that I had cut into strips with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic. just after they came out of the pan I grated some parmesan onto them and let them cool off.

It worked out pretty well, although next time I might try covering the peppers with tin foil and cooking them for longer and only taking the foil off about ten minutes before taking them out.

Just finishing up a orange-ricotta cheesecake.

* Sorry, you'll have to convert the oven degrees to celsius. It's a US recipe (originally from the joy of cooking, but adapted a bit).

Graham Cracker crust

9 full-size graham cracker sheets

6 Tbsp. butter, melted

3 Tbsp. sugar

Prepare crust:

Place graham cracker sheets in a large Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs in to a small mixing bowl. Add the sugar and melted butter. Toss together with a fork until all the crumbs are moist.

Press crumbs into a 9"springform pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Prepare filling while crust bakes. Cool completely before using.

Filling:

1 cup sugar

finely grated zest of 1 orange

4 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

3 cups (22 ounces) whole milk ricotta (don't use skim, it won't be as good)

Have all ingredients at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the sugar and zest in a large bowl. Rub the zest and sugar between your fingers until the sugar looks wet and sandy. Add the eggs and beat on high speed until thick and pale yellow, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix well. Stir in the ricotta cheese.

Scrape the batter into the prepared crust and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F, and bake until a knife inserted about 2 inches from the edge of the cake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes more. The center will be softer and the cake will seem to jiggly, but it will set after it has cooled. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack before unmolding. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, preferably 24 hours, before serving.

To unmold:

If the cake has pulled away cleanly from the pan, simply release the spring and carefully remove the pan side. Otherwise, slide a thin knife blade around the sides of the cake to detach it from the pan, pressing the blade against the pan to avoid tearing the cake, before releasing and removing the side. Serve the cake directly on the pan bottom, or chill it thoroughly before attempting to transfer it to a serving platter of cardboard cake circle.

We liked this served with orange curd as the sauce drizzled over each slice...

Orange Curd

Juice and zest of 2 oranges

2/3 cup granulated white sugar (you can cut back a little on this if the orange is very sweet)

4 Tbsp. butter

2 large whole eggs, lightly beaten

dash salt

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. In separate bowl, grate orange peel and squeeze juice from oranges. Add sugar and egg. Whisk to combine. Add the melted butter to bowl, and pour everything back into the pan. Over medium heat, whisk the orange curd constantly until it thickens--sort of like a thin pudding--about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Strain orange curd over a clean bowl with a fine mesh strainer. (I find this removes the white things from the whole eggs as well as the zest. I prefer a smooth orange curd. But, if you would rather skip this step, it's totally okay.) Enjoy warm or cold!

I'm cooking something quick and easy. A red lentil soup using frozen organic soup vegetables. It's done in 30 minutes.

care to elaborate? We are still in a Ferienwohnung with a very limited kitchen... this sounds do-able and something my 3 year old might actually eat. ;)

I need to find Mexican food staples... THAT is what my kid likes to eat, sigh!

I have decided that all the "weird" vegetables I am missing from California (e.g. okra), I am just going to have to grow. Now if I can find the seeds... going to check some of the English online seed companies now. ;)

At least most of the stores seem to carry avocados! But boy, fresh produce is expensive here!

"weird" vegetables I am missing from California (e.g. okra),

Okra is pretty easy to get your hands on here. Larger Asian shops often get some in.

EDIT: Ah, you're in Hamburg. Dunno what your asian shops are are like. I'm also quite proud to say that my knowledge of geography is so shite, that I don't even know where Hamburg is on a map, and I sincerely mean that.

here is what i am cooking today for dinner... i am having a late dinner lol...

1. Beef - 1/2 kg ( cut into small pieces)
  2. Chilli powder - 2 tablespoon
    Pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
    Turmeric powder - 1/2 teasponn
    Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
    Meat Masala - 1 teaspoon
    Coriander powder - 2 tablespoon
  3. Ginger - 2 big pieces
    Garlic - 1 pode
    Onion - 1
  4. Curry leaves
    salt - accordingly
    Coconut pieces - 1/2 cup
    Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
  5. Coconut oil - accordingly
    Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoonClean & drain the water from beef pieces. Mix the beef with ingredients number 2,3 & 4. Cook with a little water.Once the beef is cooked take it off from stove. Heat oil in a frying pan. Splutter mustard seeds & add curry leaves. After that add the cooked beef & stir until it becomes dark brown colour.

Okra is pretty easy to get your hands on here. Larger Asian shops often get some in.

EDIT: Ah, you're in Hamburg. Dunno what your asian shops are are like. I'm also quite proud to say that my knowledge of geography is so shite, that I don't even know where Hamburg is on a map, and I sincerely mean that.

LOL, well Hamburg is ALL the way north. We are in the beautiful (but boring) boonies just south of there, and I have yet to see ONE Asian person, let alone a shop. I am going to try growing okra (and a whole bunch of vegetables from Italy!). I am quite the cook, and have found the selection here to be quite depressing compared to San Francisco CA! *insert crying emoticon*

a greasy kebab from a run down restaurant which does not use bio food and certainly does not use sustainable energy to cook the food. Do I also fit into this group?

yawn...

Caramelised pears :-) We're going out for the main course (having just moved, we're trying the local pubs&restaurants now), but dessert will be at home - two pears poached until tender, brown sugar and a little water in a pan, never stir, just swing gently until the sugar water becomes golden brown syrup, enter pears (cut them up to your liking, slices, pieces...) swing a little more until they are covered, then get out, serve with the caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream :-)