What are you cooking today?

3,408 posts in this topic

Aldi lamb fillets are edible enough, if you are into lamb fillet - like Katrina, I've not risked the marinated ones. The ostrich is also OK, if you like ultra-lean meat. They'll both dry out super quickly if you overcook them though.

I like the Aldi ostrich and the marinated lamb steaks are fine too, but the fillet is new and I hadn't tried it yet. Thanks K and M, sounds like tomorrow's dinner is sorted.

And if it's good enough for don_riina, it's good enough for me.

How is ostrich typically prepared and served? I've never tried it but am curious.

My mom puts it in the oven and grills it for a while (covered with aluminum, if you want to know the exact time, I'd have to ask her, can't remember), and last Christmas we ate it with potatoes and beans. Like this:

http://flickr.com/photos/faithhopelove/213...57603534829496/

@crusoe: I think it might have been the steak then that I've had before. Seeing as it has at least been 10 months or so that I had it (before I moved to Spain).

Gordon Ramsay was talking about Ostrich recently. Supposed to be very healthy and is of course free range. One bird produces a huge amout of meat, so you almost feel that if an animal must die to feed us, why not 1 big honkie Ostrich (that can literally feed 100 people), than 50 chickens?

I sear it then bung it in a medium oven in tinfoil with a handful of herbs and/or a gloop of herb oil (or chili oil, or garlic oil...). Takes longer than you think to cook, being quite a thick chunk.

How is ostrich typically prepared and served? I've never tried it but am curious.

I suppose you bury it in hot sand :rolleyes:

How is ostrich typically prepared and served?

As a rule of thumb, most people will say treat it like fillet of beef - it is almost without any fat atall, and has a really soft texture so does not need a long cooking time to break any fibres down. Unlike chicken, you can eat ostrich quite rare, but it is best done to a medium/medium rare finish. Not much flavour to it really, so you can use quite strong flavours with it.

If you're a first timer, just go with something simple and classic where you'd normally use beef fillet - green peppercorn sauce maybe. Season the ostrich well, rub in a bit of oil, and sear in a hot pan. Wrap in foil with a squirt of lemon juice, put into a warm oven. Empty any excess oil from the pan, chuck in a knob of butter and some green peppercorns, toss it about for a few seconds, then chuck in a goooood glug of brandy, scrape up any pan residue, then set it alight to burn off the alcohol, and your eyebrows. Finish with a load of cream, and another knob of butter if the sauce looks a bit thin. Check for seasoning, then pour over the steaks.

I wanna see places selling ostrich eggs. That would be awesome. Omelette for 50 people.

Thanks Don and everyone else for your ostrich instructions. I'm intrigued now -- will have to give it a go and report back.

Meatloaf made with beef chuck, carrots, day-old parisienne bread, garlic, chilli and onions with a mixed salad including home-grown red radishes.

750g beef chuck

50g day-old bread

50g carrots

1 medium onion

2 cloves garlic

1/2 red chilli

75ml milk

Pre-cook the sliced carrots, mince the onion, garlic and chilli, dice the bread, put all in a large mixing bowl

Warm up the milk until lukewarm, pour over the mixture, let stand app. 10 mins, mix well by hand

Add the meat, mix well by hand until you have a homogenous mass

Grease an oblong casserole (e.g. brush it with olive oil), press the meat mixture lightly into the form

Grease the surface as above

Shove into pre-heated oven at 180°C for app. 35 - 45 minutes

Serve with ketchup

Use any leftover for meatloaf sandwiches!

Ostrich is lovely! I think sushi is on tonight's menu though, but need to pick up some salmon first. Yum. With gyoza (you can buy it frozen).

I buy the chicken & vegetable ones. But yes, there are other types such as squid, pork etc. I don't know where to buy them in Berlin though, only in Munich and London; from Japanese supermarkets! 1 bag costs ca. €5 which is enough for 3 x starters for 2 people. Just think how much you pay in restaurants for it!

Thats what I thought it is from Japanese supermarkets as I have not found them here in normal Asian markets! Anyway enjoy (not that I am jealous!)

In lieu of tackling the ostrich, I did steaks last night. The man needed some cheering up after his team lost and I needed something to do while he was shouting at the television.

Two Rinderfilets from Rewe, marinated for two hours in a mix of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, freshly ground black pepper, a touch of cayenne pepper, dash of garlic powder, and three big cloves of fresh garlic. Seared them well on both sides for a couple of minutes, served them medium-rare with mashed potatoes mixed with horseradish and crème fraiche and a red wine demi-glace. I also did sautéed prawns in a butter, white wine, garlic and herb sauce over fresh greens with warm goat cheese rounds.

Posole ( Pozole).. I am not handing out the recipe its a family secret.. LOL

yesterday was lasagne..

Blimey GG. That is some cheering up you did there. If I ever need cheering up, my wife gets me beer. Works every time.

I am loving my cooking tonight - Roast Chicken with stuffing and roasted potatoes (regular and sweet potatoes).

This was all about the stuffing, I made it on the fly and am SOOO happy with it.

Sauté and onion and a clove of garlic until soft and add this to approx 2 cups fresh bread crumbs. Then add some marjoram, rosemary, parsley (all dried versions, but I'm sure fresh would be great too) salt and pepper and an egg. Now squeeze the insides out of two fresh bratwurst and add this to the mix. Stuff the chook. Cook the chook. Eat the chook. YUM.

For Indian food lovers!

Chicken 65

Make a marinade of the following dried herbs/spices - each in small pinches though...

Chilli

Salt

Cinnamon

Cloves

Garlic

Ginger

Cardamon

and ground-nut (peanut) oil - or olive oil works good too!

Stir a few times before going to bed & during the next morning.

Leave small cubed pieces of chicken breast to marinate overnight and the next morning (or if serving for dinner in the evening, do all this in the morning instead).

Deep fry for about fifteen minutes, or until you start to see the chicken pieces beginning to turn a tiny bit brown (only slightly mind you, or it will be spoilt)

The way I do rice here in India is to put two cups of water in a PRESSURE COOKER (best way in my estimation to cook rice and VERY quick) to ONE cup of rice. Let it hiss two to three times and then turn off quickly and let the rest of the steam out fast. Undo lid and serve the whole meal at once.

This is a favourite with us for Sunday lunch... (as we don't have an oven to make a roast (boo hoo) and it's very yummie!)

If you want the chicken not as spicy, then marinate for only a couple of hours.

Enjoy!