What are you cooking today?

2,985 posts in this topic

Ok so this is what I'm not cooking, but wish I was: silverside. Or corned beef. I have never seen this cut of meat in a supermarket here in Germany... Brisket I think the actual cut is called, in English. Sliced corned beef, liberally spashed with mum's home-cooked tomato sauce, sandwiched between toasted multigrain bread. Hmm, thinking about it makes me sad for home. So, can anyone tell me where it might be possible to find this boiling meat, and/or what it might be called in German?? Thanks in advance!! :)

Rinderbrust or Hohe Rippe and have it boned by your butcher. And I love it with plum sauce.

A much better alternative to this (and often free) is home made stock. It's as simple as taking all left over bones, skin, whatever from a chicken or other meat and boiling them for an hour or two in 1-2l of water. If you bought a decent chicken with giblets (liver and heart) provided then boil these too and when done mash them into your soup. If you get vegetables in the cupboard that go a bit old and soft then these can be used to make vegetable stock by the same recipe - just boil them gently in water for about an hour, then discard the vegetables and keep the stock. It can, of course be frozen, or flavoured before boiling by adding aromatic spices like peppercorns, cardamoms, star anise, cinnamon sticks and similar.

Generally, this is what I would have done (see Two-Crust Chicken Pie). But yesterday I used Klare Gemüsebrühe from Knorr.

Thanks for your reply Katrina - will visit the butcher! Never tried it with plum, but I'll take your word :) Incidently, I have noticed that plum sauce isn't a popular condi here...but I love it with chicken. Again, mum makes the best...

hey steph, Bj's Ma sometimes has corned beef/silverside in her fridge. I'm not a fan so i didnt really take notice - but she calls it "corner-ed beef", but then again, she calles quiche "kwitsch-ie". So the butcher/deli people might know what you mean if you say "corned beef" or "cornered beef".

fenugreek chicken curry, murg lentils with tomato and spinach, chana masala, rice and parathis. All cooked in a bit of a hurry but it worked out quite well. It was however a bit spicy for my dad, but everyone went back for seconds and thirds so it seems as though it did taste alright. :)

Just wolfed down on Kassler in Port and cream with sage and majoram, Shupfnudeln with cheese, nuked broccoli with sesame oil on a layer of grilled zucchini marinated in balsamic and Bärlauch (wtf it's called in English, by the Queen or her buddies overseas).

too be honest dinner was more like breakfast today, had fried egg, bacon and a roll

didnt had beans nor tomatoes no mushrooms or sausages but it was good nevertheless :D

Had a great home made modified saag gosht with beef instead of lamb for dinner (which was actually a veeery late lunch). It's supposed to be with lamb, but didn't have any so used beef.

Absolutely fantastic!

Girabaldi, I'm having something very similir to your Mars bar on toast. Here's a pic of my famous Chocoburger that I've made for lunch today. Yummy, Yum, Yum!

post-14005-1208073795.jpg

P.S: I think it's quite appropriate an alien being like yourself would love Mars bars on toast :P . Btw, as you can see I didn't bleed to death when I got my wisdom teeth out.

Home made fish nuggets with home made garlic mayonnaise and hot chip salad. Trying not to feel guilty about the mars bar on toast breakfast I had this morning. The wife and kids are still lying in bed groaning under the weight of having to work,rest and play before 9.00.

Roast beef (rib roast) yorkshires, roast pots, peas & brussels.

take roast out of fridge couple of hours before cooking, season with salt, pepper & garlic, crank up oven really hot, pop in roast & turn down the oven straight away, cook roast for 40 mins, let stand for 20/30 mins before serving.

It was yesterday now, but it was still the first Spargel of the year. Spargelkartoffelauflauf mit Schinken. Yum.

andy M