What are you cooking today?

4,829 posts in this topic

Chicken fricassee with rice

(serves two with leftovers or four if you add a salad)

2 medium onions

2 chicken legs (drumstick and thigh)

olive oil

salt, pepper, paprika, ground rosemary

50 ml white wine

150 ml water

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

50 ml milk

150g frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)

100 g rice

Chop the onions, sautee them in olive oil, add the chicken legs and fry until brown on both sides

Add wine and water, season, cover and simmer for app. 30 minutes

Drain, retaining the broth

When the chicken is cool enough to touch shred the meat from the bones, give the bones and skin to the cats

Cook rice (2 parts water to 1 part rice, I used basmati and did not add salt to the water because I overlooked it)

Make a basic roux with the butter, flour and milk, season

Add broth, stir until smooth

Add frozen vegetables

Add chicken meat and onions

Let simmer for app. 15 minutes

Serve with rice

Take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day

How was the lobster westvan? Haven't bought it (or much seafood) here yet.

We had frozen lobster tails from Metro and they were really good. The Canadian lobster from Aldi is also not bad.

I made Pad Thai with prawns (from the freezer). It was very yummy although the prawns were Okay, just can't compare with fresh prawns.

I broke out my slow cooker today for the first time since I bought and made an amazing beef stew. Here's the recipe as I adapted it.

Slow Cooked Braised Beef with Mushrooms

1kg beef cubed

500g mushrooms

Peel of 1 orange cut into slivers

1 onion finely chopped

1/2 thumb sized piece of ginger sliced finely

250ml beef broth

250ml red wine

125ml sherry

75ml cup balsamic vinegar

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp chines 5 spice

2 tbsp corn starch

olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Place beef to slow cooker

Use a vegetable peeler to peel orange and cut peel into slivers

In a sauce pan combine orange peel, onion, beef broth, wine, sherry, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, thyme, ginger and 5 spice and bring to a boil.

Pour mixture over beef in the slow cooker and cook on high for 5-6 hours.

Preheat oven to 200

Cut mushrooms in half and add to a pan with oil on high heat

Pour one cup of the excess liquid from the slow cooker over the mushrooms and stir until mushrooms are brown and liquid has boiled off

Remove meat from slow cooker and lay in a single layer in a casserole dish

Pour mushrooms over meat and bake for 10-12 minutes to brown meat (I'm not sure how much this step actually adds, may leave it out next time)

Pour remaining liquid into a sauce pan, bring to a boil add corn starch to thicken

Pour sauce over meat and add salt and pepper to taste

Serve over potatoes

I've finally "got" how to make proper Thai green curry. Mmmmmmm.

I made Pad Thai with prawns (from the freezer). It was very yummy although the prawns were Okay, just can't compare with fresh prawns.

Okay, wasn't going to share this 'cos I'm a prawn gourmand but anyway. My B-i-L is a shellfish fisherman off the west coast of Scotland, so usually we have a very nice supply of prawns and live lobster courtesy of UPS. However, believe it or not, several times a year LIDL has in varying special weeks (Spanish and French for sure) a deep frozen bag of king prawns in their gourmet range. It's a white and black pack and costs €9.99 for 1Kg. They are headless and deveined, with an easy-peel shell. If you defrost these slowly, i.e. overnight in the fridge, these get VERY close to the real fresh taste and texture. I certainly have never tasted, not even from the Metro, deep frozen prawns that come even close. Now, if the Lidl in Sittensen is sold out of this article next time its on offer, I shall be most upset. You have been warned. Guten Appettit!

is everyone getting their Irish on???Its all green in NYC for the St. Patrick's Day Parade...Corned beef and cabbage, Irish lamb stew or shepherds pie????

Right in the stock pot all day have been 3 litres of chicken stock from two old carcasses I bought for 4 Yoyos at the market yesterday. Haven't made this is ages - been a beef stock man using free bones I get from the farm.

It may be used to make a tasty Jamie Ovula Mushroom Risotto, with white wine in it. Shall I dig up the link?

It's definitely a soup day. I'm doing a small broccoli and cheddar soup to keep the cold out.