What are you cooking today?

2,985 posts in this topic

I just modified the above recipe last night by adding 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, and they came out perfect! The flour made them nice and chewy. They were definitely some of the tastiest granola bars I've ever had, if I do say so myself.

I just took all my frozen turkey leftovers out of the freezer from Christmas and am making turkey soup :). It smells really really good!

Chicken-carrot curry. Acutally, I cooked it yesterday around 10pm and will warm it up today. Haggis Junior overdid the spaghetti yesterday so we will warm them up to eat with the curry. All curry purists: Blame her, not me.

EDIT: I wrote the recipe down for a friend so I may as well share

Two chicken legs with backbone

1 onion, chopped but not diced

20 ml olive oil

fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme)

1/2 l water

Part one:

Cut off the part with the backbone

De-bone the legs (not necessary but makes life easier later on)

Heat oil, add chicken parts, herbs and onion, braise well

Remove the backbone parts, let cool and feed the meat to the dogs cats

Add the water, let simmer for app. 45 minutes

Remove the chicken, strain the liquid, cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces (that's why de-boning them is easier in the long run)

10 ml olive oil

3 carrots

2 spring onions

1 red pepper

2 cloves of garlic

1 can cocoanut milk

Dashes (generous) of curcuma, tumeric, ginger, ground cloves, jerk and a few flakes of dried chilli

Part two:

Slice the spring onions

Peel and slice the carrots

Slice the pepper in long strips

Mince the garlic (remember to sprinkle it with salt)

Heat oil, add the onions, the peppers and the carrots, last of all the garlic, sautée them

Add the chicken liquid, bring to a boil

Add the cocoanut milk

Add the spices

Add the chicken bits

Let simmer app. 2 hours, serve with rice

EDIT II: After eating and mostly enjoying this I recommend using only the solid part of the cocoanut milk in the can, the curry was a little runny and a tad too oily. But even my resident part-time vegetarian liked the flavor.

If you enjoy slaving away in the kitchen for three hours, read on. If you don’t enjoy slaving in the kitchen for three hours but like to read about others slaving away in the kitchen for three hours you are a sadist and will probably read on as well.

Today’s dinner was a Two-Crust Chicken Pie with everything made from scratch. You don’t have to be a brilliant amateur cook but it does help if you have some experience with simple pastry and a basic roux.

Two-Crust Chicken Pie

Broth:

300g chicken wings (they don’t have to be very meaty)

Two medium onions

Three cloves of garlic

Pepper corns, savory, thyme, paprika, salt, fresh rosemary if you happen to grow it on your window sill

Cooking oil

Heat the oil

Chop the chicken wings once through with a cleaver to expose the bone and fat

Cut the onions in quarters

Crush the garlic

Fry all in the heated oil, adding the spices, rosemary and salt

When the chicken is a light brown add 500 ml of water

Let simmer for app. 1 hour

Drain, retain the broth, feed the chicken pieces to the cats

Filling (Chicken, Vegetables and Roux):

500g non-mealy potatoes (I used Moorsieglinde)

300g fresh carrots

500g chicken breast filet

1 large onion

50g butter

50g flour

250ml heavy cream (Schlagsahne)

1 teaspoon hot mustard (Löwensenf, scharfer Senf, other)

Dice the potatoes finely (1/4" cubes)

Slice the carrots the same width, cut larger slices in half

Cut the chicken in bite-size pieces

Cook the potatoes and carrots together just until they lose their firmness

Roux:

In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter until bubbly

Dice and sauté the onion

Add the flour, stir vigorously

Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the heavy cream

Return the saucepan to the heat, stir in about ¾ of the broth

(This is the tricky part: You want this roux to be fairly thick, almost like pudding/blanc-mange. Err on the side of caution and use less fluid than you think is required)

When this mixture is nice and bubbly add the hot mustard and the chicken pieces

Cook app. 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through

Drain the vegetables, add to the roux

Pastry:

400g flour

120g butter

2 teaspoons baking powder

Dash of salt

100 – 150 ml cold (really cold) water

Mix the dry ingredients

Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like meal, sort of grainy

Add about half of the water, mix until the pastry begins to form a ball

Carefully add just enough water for the pastry to hold together

(This does not happen immediately, always stir in the water completely before adding more, watch your dough for the right consistency as it absorbs the water)

Separate the dough roughly 2/3 to 1/3, set the 1/3 aside in a covered bowl (to prevent its drying out)

!Preheat the oven to 180°C!

Roll the dough on a floured board with a floured roller until it fits your pan (I used an oblong 20x13x5cm), carefully transfer it into the pan

Putting it all together:

Carefully ladle the filling into the pan, pour the rest of the roux over it

Roll the rest of the pastry dough to fit over the top

Carefully fit the top crust over the filling

Cut a few air vents

Pop the pan into the oven

After app. 25 mins increase the temperature to 200°C so the crust browns nicely

Cook for another 15 mins

Haggis Junior (the part-time vegetarian) while carefully pushing the meat aside, had seconds. Scogs said that any Brit pub would be proud to serve it as Sunday Dinner.

I got this recipe for Pumpkin Protein Cookies off of Allrecipes, and it turned out great with a couple modifications. IMO, the original recipe was a little too dry and cakey and had a strong Splenda aftertaste. I added 1/2 tsp of vanilla, reduced the amount of Splenda to only 1/4 cup and replaced the oil with applesauce. I also added 3 additional tbsp of applesauce to moisten the cookies and make up for the sweetness lost by reducing the Splenda. They came out great. I did add the optional flax seeds (milled).

Very important: The recipe says not to overbake. Make sure to follow this and bake them for EXACTLY five minutes.

Pumpkin Protein Cookies

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup Splenda Granular

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup soy flour

1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1 tablespoon canola oil

2 teaspoons water

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon molasses

1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, whisk together Splenda, oats, wheat flour, soy flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in pumpkin, canola oil, water, egg whites, and molasses. Stir in flax seeds, if desired. Roll into 14 large balls, and flatten on a baking sheet.

3. Bake for 5 minutes in preheated oven. DO NOT OVERBAKE: the cookies will come out really dry if overbaked.

post-1036-1203198218.jpg

I had some chicken that needed to be consumed before it went off so I just treated my self to a fried chicken sandwich very healthy I know, but I have been craving it for some time and I think it was the reason I bought the chicken in the first place. I Cut the chicken breast fairly thin and had two bowls one with beaten egg and one with flour, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, tony coachers louisiana spice mix. coated with egg then coated with flour mixture and then through it in a pan with about to start smoking oil flipping once. Served it to myself on toast with a slice of processed cheese , chili sauce and a bit of ketchup. Very healthy slice of heaven it was. :)

Just thought I'd add that my pumpkin protein cookies above taste pretty good, even though they look like poo, but they don't keep very well. Back to the drawing board...

I've been making chocolate rabbits for Easter.

No recipe - just melt the chocolate, pour it into the mould and leave to set...

The pics were too big for TT... but I've got them on my blog if anyone wants to see how they came out...

For lunch I'm making Protobello mushrooms topped with onions, tomato, cheese and basil. And after that Linguini with chicken and Alfredo sauce.

Chicken stock will be gurgling away all day, homemade chicken soup this evening. :)

For Easter dinner I made a kick ass pork tenderloin and I have to share the recipe:

- 2 1/2 Pork Tenderloin (nice and lean, trim to remove excess)

The Marinade

- 1/2 cup maple syrup

- 1 tsp ground mustard

- 1 tsp ground gloves

- 1 tsp ground ginger

- 1 tsp salt

- 1/2 tsp cumin

- 1/2 tsp black pepper

- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Toss everything into a large ziploc-type plastic bag (seasoning, syrup, pork), toss to coat, smush a bit until spices are mixed. Throw in the fridge overnight.

Turn on oven to broil temp (220 or so). Place pork on baking sheet, pour excess marinade on top. Broil for about 6 minutes on each side (could take longer depending on your oven). Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving. You end up with a nice crust on the pork and the inside is a nice pink in comparison. Enjoy!!

This was really delicious. Got rave reviews. I served it with a potatoe gratin and some roasted asparagus.

fillet steak with oven roasted sweet potatoes, peppers and gren beans in a sundried tomato vinagrette. on a bed of ruccola and parmesan. wont do the recipe as it explains itself, only dont let the sweet potatoes dry out while roasting.

Blue Cheese pie

100 gms blue cheese

1 egg

200 ml cream

Puff pastry

Mix all the ingredients. Lay the pastry in a form and pour the mixture. Bake for 45 mins on 180 deg.

For Easter dinner I made a kick ass pork tenderloin and I have to share the recipe:

- 2 1/2 Pork Tenderloin (nice and lean, trim to remove excess)

What cut of meat should I be buying in Germany to make this? (So, I know what to ask for if I can´t see it). Sounds delish!

I am making some healthy soup for the family now which they can eat with some baguette and salted French butter, so I can go out without feeling too guilty!

Creamy Vegetable Soup

50 ml cooking oil

500 g potatoes

150 g carrots

150 g leeks

150 g green beans (in this case from a can)

50 g flour

Broth cube or similar

1500 ml water

Heat the oil in a large, high saucepan

Peel the potatoes, chop in bite-size pieces

Add to hot oil - use a splash-guard to protect your fingers and the wall behind the stove -, roast the potatoes app. 3 minutes while shaking the pot so they are covered with the hot oil

Add flour, stir well

Add peeled and sliced carrots, leeks and green beans

Add 1500 ml water

Add broth cube or similar

Stir well

Bring to a boil, then let simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally

(6 helpings)

TIP: Sex this up with fresh marjoram, fried bacon strips, salmon, mushrooms fried with garlic, meatballs etc.

splash-guard/Spritzschutz:

post-4788-1206947702.jpg

Broth cube or similar

A much better alternative to this (and often free) is home made stock. It's as simple as taking all left over bones, skin, whatever from a chicken or other meat and boiling them for an hour or two in 1-2l of water. If you bought a decent chicken with giblets (liver and heart) provided then boil these too and when done mash them into your soup. If you get vegetables in the cupboard that go a bit old and soft then these can be used to make vegetable stock by the same recipe - just boil them gently in water for about an hour, then discard the vegetables and keep the stock. It can, of course be frozen, or flavoured before boiling by adding aromatic spices like peppercorns, cardamoms, star anise, cinnamon sticks and similar.