What are you cooking today?

2,985 posts in this topic

but anchovies tast good!!!

To be honest, you cant even taste them in the dish...but I think you could replace them with a nice strong dried sausage type thing...and then top with plenty of freshly grated parmasen hmmm lecker!

Creole curry

400 gms of chicken

1 big onion

3 garlic cloves

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

some potatoes

coriander

curry powder(2 or 3 tablespoons, the one I use is a special one from Mauritius)

Chop the onion and garlic and fry in some oil.

Add the chicken and fry for 6 minutes, then add the potatoes and the tin of tomatoes.

Mix the curry powder with some hot water and add it.

Add the coriander and cook slowly for one hour.

The creole curry is served with something called a Chatini of Pomme d'amour. Tomatoes are called Pomme d'amour in Mauritus...

Its basically a kind of tomatoe salsa made of onions, tomatoes, corinader, salt and pepper.

I brought some Chapaties called in Mauritius Faratas and will be having them with the curry.

post-6742-1200159429.jpg

Easy peasy and mighty tasty, I served this with a side of parmesan risotto and a mix of steamed zucchini and yellow squash.

Lemon Garlic Tilapia

Ingredients:

4 tilapia fillets

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon butter, melted (I use a little more)

1 clove garlic, finely chopped (little more here, too)

1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Rinse tilapia fillets under cool water, and pat dry with paper towels.

3. Place fillets in baking dish. Pour lemon juice over fillets, then drizzle butter on top. Sprinkle with garlic, parsley and pepper. (I sautee the garlic in the butter and mix in the parsley and pepper before drizzling it on top)

4. Bake in preheated oven until the fish is white and flakes when pulled apart with a fork, about 30 minutes.

It's also yummy to sprinkle some parmesan on top 10 minutes before it's done cooking.

Pizza Burgers :P

Basically just burgers we made with minced beef, bread crumbs and and egg or two. Then we made pockets in the burgers once we'd made them into burger shapes and placed in a mixture of gratedmozzarella cheese and Jack Daniels sauce. We half cooked them and then we placed them in a dish and added amixture of pizza sauce from a jar because I couldn't be bothered to cook some and also added a tin of tomatoes to that mixture. We poured it over the burgers and sprinkled them with cheese and cooked themin the oven for an hour on 180 degrees C.

Beef Cobbler this evening :)

Basically you make a rather fluid goulash & after cooking some time put into a casserole disk &...

Beef Cobbler

• 220g Self-raising flour (use plain flour & add baking powder)
  • 1 teaspoon Baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon Salt
  • 55g Lard
  • 1 teaspoon Mixed dried herbs
  • Milk to mix

Sieve flour and dry ingredients. Rub in lard and add enough milk to form a soft dough. Knead on floured board and cut into small pieces and lay on top of meat etc.

Cook at 180C for about 45mins.

My daughter refuses to eat it, wife & son love it...

It's still morning here, so I'm making some oatmeal pancakes for a late breakfast. When I found this recipe, they were an instant favorite. I normally do 1.5X the recipe for two people.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup quick cooking oats

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 egg

Today i just cooked rice with bratwurst and fried rice ... simple Thai dish at home and very cheap too :D

Crème de Champagne

Mix 3 eggs, 1/3 cup of sugar (very fine, if possible "Feinster Zucker" from Südzucker), 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring and the zest of 1 lemon (untreated) in a double boiler at boiling point until foamy.

Add 4 sheets of gelatine soaked in cold water and squeezed dry.

Let cool for app. 20 minutes until it begins to set.

Add 2 cups of champagne (I advise pouring this amount into a shallow bowl well beforehand and beating most of the bubbles out of it), pour into decorative glasses, chill until firm (well, sort of Jell-O like).

Serve decorated with a slice of lemon.

Salmon filet with mashed potatoes. One my favourite dish. Simple, healthy and delicious.

Fried Pita Bread

1 pita (flat, round Turkish bread sprinkled with onion seeds and sesame seeds)

2 cloves of garlic

1 large sprig of fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon olive oil

Crush the garlic with the side of a broad knife

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add garlic and rosemary

Cut the loaf of bread in half, save one half for tomorrow's breakfast (tzatziki or creamed cheese mixed with wasabi on pita bread garnished with spring onions, red peppers or tomatoes)

Cut the other loaf of bread in half horizontally

Cut these pieces into finger-length strips, app. 3 cm wide

Push the garlic and rosemary aside and put the pieces of pita face down in the pan, swirl each piece so the face is coated with oil

Let fry app. 3 - 5 minutes until the bread is crusty but not burnt

Lay face up in a low, shallow serving dish, salt lightly (I use salt from the mill myself)

We had this with lentil soup tonight but it goes well with just about anything hearty - grilled steak, BBQ chicken, vegetarian curry, grilled fish (I suppose).

Thank for posting the recipes. I wish I had more motivation to cook when my husband is away. But I just don't like leftovers. Nor do I like spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. One of my new year's re-soul-utions is to try to cook and bake more.

You'll love these leftovers and/or refuse to share when the husband is home! :ph34r:

I made this dish over the weekend and we couldnt get enough, so I remade more sauce and am making it again tonight. Delish and fully satisfies a mexican craving!

(was also a very easy recipe, despite the long looking post...)

Black Bean, Corn and Zucchini Enchiladas (from cookinglight)

1 teaspoon canola oil

2 cups diced zucchini

1 300g can of corn

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (you can buy this at the Mercado de Mexico store in Munich)

3 cups Enchilada Sauce, divided (see below for recipe)

Cooking spray

8 (8-inch) whole wheat or corn tortillas

200 grams shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I buy a cheese mix from Lidl that has 30% cheddar and works fine)

Preheat oven to 350°F (176 C). Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups zucchini and corn; sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in beans.

Spread 1 cup Enchilada Sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/2 cup zucchini mixture down center of 1 tortilla; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, and roll up. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, zucchini mixture, and 14 tablespoons cheese. Spread remaining 2 cups sauce evenly over enchiladas.

Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.

Enchilada Sauce (dont use canned sauce, this MAKES the dish)

1 teaspoon canola oil

1 small diced red onion

1 clove minced garlic

1/2 cup vegetable broth

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 400 gram cans crushed tomatoes, undrained

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups sauce.

You may think the filling sounds bland, but I'm here to assure you this was an amazing dish!! Not spicy though, so add some tobasco, jalapeno or chipotle chilis if you like.

I really shouldn't share this recipe without trademarking it, it was so breath-takingly delicious! There is some serious work involved what with (de-) boning the chicken but it's worth it.

Stuffed Leg of Chicken Mediterranean Style

Pureed Yam with Herb Butter

Chilli Rice

Stuffed Leg of Chicken Mediterranean Style

Bone (or de-bone) four legs of chicken:

Cut away the bit with the backbone, save it for stock. Slice around the thigh bone with a sharp boning knife until you can pull the thigh meat away from the bone. Separate the "knee" joint, pull away the thigh bone, feed it to the cats. Slice around the lower leg-bone until you can carefully pull the meat downwards without breaking the skin. Turn the meat down as far as possible, shaving along the bone

Firmly grip the lower leg-bone, pull until it pulls the outer skin inwards.

Leaving as much skin as possible, cut away the skin still connected to the lowest part of the bone. Remove any large sinews.

You now have an unsavory, floppy piece of boneless chicken leg complete with unbroken skin. Congratulations. Kick the cats out of the kitchen or they will drive you crazy.

Finely dice one medium onion, sautée in olive oil.

Mash 100g of feta cheese (the best kind is the one preserved in olive oil with herbs; even olives if you are parital to them).

Finely dice 50g of pita (you know, that Turkish flat bread with the sesame seeds and onion seeds).

Mix both with the sautéed onion, let stand for app. 15 minutes.

Generously stuff the filling into the lower leg cavity and the fold in the thigh. Close with skewers or baste closed if you want to, it doesn't really matter.

Baste with olive oil, sprinkle with minced rosemary, place in a pre-heated oven at 170°C on a grid in a baking pan over app. two cups of water.

Roast app. 45 minutes, turning twice and basting twice.

Pureed Yam

Peel and dice four yams, boil in water barely covering them, add some salt.

When soft, line a sieve with a dishcloth or two layers of cheesecloth, pour in the yams, wrap them and squeeze them well.

Add a dab (ok, about 1 tablespoon) of butter and some (1/4 cup) milk.

Mash and stir vigorously.

Add 2 teaspoons of ginger, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. And add, ad libidum, the zest of one lemon.

Herb Butter

Add to 1/3 cup soft butter: 1 teaspoon minced rosemary, 1 teaspoon minced marjoram, 1 teaspoon minced thyme, 1 teaspoon minced basil, dash of salt.

Chilli Rice

Cook app. 1 1/2 handfuls of rice in 1 1/2 cup of boiling, salted water.

Let cook until most of the moisture is gone.

Add 1 minced green chilli to 1 tablespoon of olive oil, stir into the rice.

I made these muffins by making lots of replacements for other ingredients in the muffin recipe on my soy flour package, and they turned out really tasty!

Blueberry Lemon Soy Muffins

Ingredients:

1/3 cup soy flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup corn meal

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup wheat germ

3/4 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup yogurt

1/3 cup apple sauce

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp lemon extract

2 tbsp grated lemon peel

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine liquid ingredients and blueberries and stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Fill oiled or paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake in preheated 350F/175C oven for 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Not cooking this today but made it on Saturday. Tis a very nice pasta carbonara (Rachel Ray's recipe). I had to omit the wine but it was still very tasty.

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 pound pasta, such as spaghetti or rigatoni

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)

1/4 pound pancetta (Italian bacon), chopped

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

5 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 large egg yolks

Freshly grated Romano cheese

Handful of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Directions:

1. Put a large saucepot of water on to boil. Add a liberal amount of salt and the pasta. Cook to al dente, about 8 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and pancetta. Brown pancetta 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Add wine and stir up all the pan drippings.

3. In a separate bowl, beat yolks, then add 1 large ladleful (about 1/2 cup) of the pasta cooking water. This tempers the eggs and keeps them from scrambling when added to the pasta.

4. Drain pasta well and add it directly to the skillet with pancetta and oil. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta. Toss rapidly to coat the pasta without cooking the egg. Remove pan from heat and add a big handful of cheese, lots of pepper, and a little salt. Continue to toss and turn the pasta until it soaks up egg mixture and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley and extra grated Romano.

Smashed potatoes with marjoram

750 g mealy potatoes

180 ml cold milk

30 g butter

a few sprigs of fresh marjoram

Cook the potatoes in salted water, drain, smash well with a potato masher*. It's ok to leave some chunks.

Add 2/3 of the butter in small bits, stir in the milk slowly with a large whisk.

Chop the marjoram, stir in.

Transfer to a bowl suitable for your oven, smooth the surface, dot with the rest of the butter.

Put into a heated oven at 160°C for app. 10 mins.

Stir vigorously before serving.

*post-4788-1201766513.jpg

According to Haggis Junior they taste as if they had cheese in them. I think that is the marjoram reacting with the milk and butter. Whatever it was, even when we had cleaned our plates we were dipping our forks into the remainder in the serving bowl for "just one more taste".

Get a nice recipe in your inbox free every day:

http://allrecipes.com:80/default.aspx?ARBM...1&ARFMTID=1

Recipes are submitted by normal people from all over the world, are rated by people who have tried them, and measuring units and portions can be adapted to suit you. They also have a handy search function.

What I got today:

Hidden Secret Burgers

Submitted By: gothlingbecka

Spicy beef burgers, which reveal a hidden centre of melted cheese, jalapenos, and peppers!

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Ready In: 35 Minutes

Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 pound ground beef

1/2 onion, finely chopped

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)

1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon dried parsley

salt and pepper to taste

1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 fresh red chile pepper, finely chopped

4 slices pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a bowl, mix the ground beef, onion, egg, hot pepper sauce, and bread crumbs. Season with paprika, parsley, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the cheese, red chile pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Form the beef mixture into 4 balls, and press a well in the center of each. Stuff with equal amounts of the cheese mixture. Press meat around filling to seal. Arrange on a baking sheet, and press gently into thick patties.

Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, turning once, until well done.

View nutrition, print, scale, or convert this recipe

Read reviews of this recipe

Add this recipe to your Recipe Box

I love Allrecipes! That's my favorite recipe site.

I improvised a recipe for granola bars the other day, and it turned out great:

IPJ'S GRANOLA BARS

INGREDIENTS

1 cup rice krispies

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup mini chocolate chips

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 cup peanut butter

3/4 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS

Mix rice krispies, oats, chocolate chips, coconut and wheat germ in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix peanut butter, corn syrup and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until fully coated. Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil, grease, and pat mixture firmly into pan. Bake at 350F/175C for 20-25 minutes or just until the edges start to brown. Remove from pan by lifting the foil and cut immediately. Allow to cool before breaking pieces apart.