What are you cooking today?

2,985 posts in this topic

One horribly unhealthy burrito was cooked today. I'm looking to empty the fridge before heading to A-Land for a nice visit to the soon to be in-laws so I'm doing some interesting things in the kitchen. I picked up some Kasekrainer in Austria over the weekend because they are one of my true vices in life. I sliced one up added it to a pan which had a bit of chili oil and cooking oil in it. The sausages cooked quite quickly and I added chopped onion. Once that seemed cooked but not fully sauteed I moved everything to one corner of the frying pan and added two eggs and quickly scrambled them. Once they were almost cooked I mixed in the onion and the sausage added some hot sauce and this 'mexican' cheese Tenglemann is selling right now (chedder with peppers in it, very nice and spicey) which I had grated. Cooked it for a quick little bit and then wipped it out of the pan onto my last large tortilla topped with a bit of iceberg lettuce wrapped it up and chomped away. I am now very full and very happy man.

Tonight I will be making this standby:

Creole dish, lentils, salted fish in tomatoe sauce and fresh mango chutney.

Roasted pork with plums, roasted potatoes with fresh herbs, some courgette and a green salad served with freshly made cheese and herbs croutons...

I will make a Risotto tonight and serve it with some beef filet.

None of you are any good at cooking. You talk too much about it to be of any use atall atall. Empty vessels etc...

I could cook you all under the table.

another one who woke up in a bad mood today ... anyway have a nice day...I for sure will have one!!! ;)

It's OK alimess, he was only hungry. One fridge-raid later, he's fine - traditional post-Christmas banquet of vast ham, turkey and stuffing sandwich.

Spicy Chicken Wings

aka my first fling with cooking Asian style from scratch

15 chicken wings

1 large clove of garlic

pinch of salt

1 teaspoon whole ginger root

1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes

1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander

1 tablespoon honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

Mince the garlic (sprinkle the chunks with salt before you mince the hell out of them)

Grate the ginger root

Mix both with the honey, add the chilli flakes and coriander

Add olive oil, mix vigorously

Coat the chicken wings with the marinade, let stand for 1 to 4 hours

Roast in the oven at 170°C for app. 40 - 50 minutes, basting the chicken wings twice

Turn on the overhead grill for the last 5 minutes

Serve with deep-fried potato twirls and buttered carrots and spring onions

Verdict of my part-time vegetarian daughter: There wasn't much meat on the wings but it was juicy. Most of the flavor was on the skin and I don't eat that.

Verdict of the cats: Bones, pleeeeeeze! Let us pick the bones!

Verdict of Scogs: There wasn't enough potatoes

Ovenight Egg Thing

5 slices of white or wheat bread

1 can light evaporated milk

1 cup milk

2 eggs

4 egg whites

10 oz. thawed spinach, chopped (I used most of 450g box though and it was perfect)

1 cup shredded cheese

1 packet of the chopped bacon/ham pieces (you know, the little clear packaged stuff)

some of each- garlic powder & onion powder (coz I'm lazy), paprika, ground mustard, basil, salt, pepper

Mix all ingredients in big ass bowl (minus bread and some of the cheese). Assemble bread on the bottom of a large rectangular dish (I used a 13x9 and sprayed with Pam first). Pour on the egg mixture, top with remaining cheese, cover and refrigerate overnight. It definitely needs a good chunk of time in the fridge, so I did it last night before I went out and had a great breakfast to entertain guests this morning!

Bake on 180 for 45 minutes. Went over very well when consummed by two fairly hungover dutchman :)

C'mon, you know they would eat anything in that condition.

But it does sound good, too bad it's full of eggs and I can't try it out. Healthy, too.

Venison casserole : lots of onions, peppers, mushrooms, a wee touch (honest :P ) of red wine served with baby potatoes and broccoli !! Ahhhh Perfect Winter food ... :lol:

Fish curry served with some dhall chapaties and a fresh mango salad. Just enjoying the food at home as I will be back in Wurst Land in 2 days.

My favourite dish

Orecchiette with broccoli

post-22654-1199894789.jpg

- 200g orecchiette pasta

- 10 anchovies in oil

- 500g fresh broccoli

- 1 garlic clove

- 4 tbsp olive oil

- 2 dried small chili

- Salt as needed

How to:

1. Rinse the broccoli quickly and cut out the flowers. Discard the remaining part of the broccoli.

2. Boil the pasta with the broccoli until ready in salted water.

3. In the meantime, chop the anchovies and stir fry them with the oil, the garlic in one piece and the broken chili.

4. Once ready add the past to the stir fry for 1’ more. Serve immediately.

@EMIC: You might hate this idea, but...

Is there any substitute for the anchovies, OR alternate method for making this dish (sans anchovies)?? Am not a huge fan of the A's, but your dish sounds great otherwise!

Discard the remaining part of the broccoli.

This blatant sin will surely be accounted for in some next world.

I will be making Nicey Spicey Ricey again, this time with a dab of fresh ginger as well. I chopped everything this morning, it has been marinating since 7am. And I washed my hands about 10 times, with soap etc. and still irritated my nose when I blew it on arriving at work at 9am. Darn chilli.

Oh, and tomato salad with buttermilk dressing.

Did you try one of those metal soap-bar like smell disposers? Works wonders with garlic traces, might do some good to the Capseicin.

@EMIC: You might hate this idea, but...

Is there any substitute for the anchovies, OR alternate method for making this dish (sans anchovies)?? Am not a huge fan of the A's, but your dish sounds great otherwise!

I reckon I'll give this a whirl with Schwarzwalder Schinken instead of the evilness that is anchovies.

You could use some of the old schinken, but if you are thinknig broccoli, garlic and bacon/ham then it HAS to be finished with cream. Classic, works brilliantly.

Anyway, don't be scared of anchovy. Sure, eaten straight from the jar they are not to everyones taste, but seriously, chooped up anchovy in a sauce does not really taste of anchovy atall. Just creates a more complex flavour. Think thai - fish sauce on its own might be a bit too much for some, but in a dish? Don't notice it being fishy. Worcester sauce? Loads of anchovy in it.

Basically anchovy is a wicked seasoning. Chopped up fine, it just melts into oil. Soooo many dishes are improved by the addition of some anchovy. Really. Beef stews, the ubiquitous "bolognese", all can handle some anchovy without the finished dish tasting or smelling fishy. It just adds a depth of flavour, an almost elusive taste that makes your food stand out from the crowd.