What are you cooking today?

4,765 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

@Metallmany thanks.

Yo're welcome!

And no, you can't use the brine for cooking afterwards, way too salty. But it will make meat in danger of drying out tender and moist, with a hint of salt.
Brine a few hours, overnight, or up to 24 hours in a cool place (or keep in a cooler with ice/chill packs added).

I started brining turkey at Christmas many years ago.  It means I cook stuffing separate but not a problem for me.  

The brine I use has quite a lot of sugar in it, as well as salt.  Does not require any faffing around with foil or anything.  Just baste now and then, when I remember.   Turkey cooks faster, and does not get dry.  

I had fresh filled pasta with basil. Topped with Frutti di Mare and sprinkled with Grana Padano. The Frutti di Mare was cooked in olive oil and garlic. My Greek side salad had olives filled with garlic (yes) and feta. 

34 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I had fresh filled pasta with basil. Topped with Frutti di Mare and sprinkled with Grana Padano. The Frutti di Mare was cooked in olive oil and garlic. My Greek side salad had olives filled with garlic (yes) and feta. 

What are we having tomorrow???

Well, I have a Turkish wine tasting with different meze (Turkish appetizers), so I stay Mediterranean.

“Raw” vegetarian lasagna. I say “raw” because I used roasted nuts because I couldn’t find raw nuts in my supermarket and wasn’t about to drive around looking for them with gas prices the way they are. It also has olive oil and I’m not sure if it was cold pressed or not. Almost vegan, but I used Parmigiano cheese instead of nutritional yeast. The ”ricotta” is made from macadamia and pine nuts. The “ricotta” was my favorite part. 

It was pretty filling actually. I will be trying more raw foods as I didn’t have to use an oven or stove. Limits using so much electricity. 

And, yes, this was inspired by the documentary Bad Vegan, lol.

Recipe: http://dailydoseofgreens.com/2016/07/05/zucchini-tomato-lasagna/?fbclid=IwAR2uit-h4YMxgNqMl6feKIeK71I0e53pSHlSxAZBY-PBlXKbi_kaVygVq0g

qI1zm7q.jpg

Does anyone in Munich have a source of halfway decent hamburger buns?  Automatically disqualified are any with stars-and-stripes packaging. 

The best I have found were in France at e.leclerc and are marketed as brioche hamburger buns.  This is decidedly too far from Munich. 

58 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Does anyone in Munich have a source of halfway decent hamburger buns?  Automatically disqualified are any with stars-and-stripes packaging. 

The best I have found were in France at e.leclerc and are marketed as brioche hamburger buns.  This is decidedly too far from Munich. 

Edeka have Brioche Burger Buns

1 minute ago, theGman said:

Edeka have Brioche Burger Buns

I was just going to say this. These are the only hamburger buns I use if I can't get to Metro. Metro has good buns in the freezer section next to the frozen burgers, but you have to buy too many.

In the picture the Edeka buns look dry, lol. 

I don't have a metro card -- you need a card to shop there, correct?

From the Edeka page:

• aus extra dickem, weichem Brioche-Teig
  • mit Butter verfeinert
  • das perfekte Brötchen für den perfekten Burger
  • 4 Stück, vorgeschnitten
  • mit Eiern aus Bodenhaltung

So maybe they're not so bad?

2 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

In the picture the Edeka buns look dry, lol. 

I don't have a metro card -- you need a card to shop there, correct?

From the Edeka page:

• aus extra dickem, weichem Brioche-Teig
  • mit Butter verfeinert
  • das perfekte Brötchen für den perfekten Burger
  • 4 Stück, vorgeschnitten
  • mit Eiern aus Bodenhaltung

So maybe they're not so bad?

Yes, you need a card to shop at Metro, but you can get one with your freelancing Anmeldung forms. The brioche from Edeka are better anyway. I don't know what goes wrong with the normal hamburger buns in Germany, but they mostly seem to crumble. The brioche do not.

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich (it's not a burger)

Chicken + Brine

Mix the brine up and add the brine and chicken to a ziplock bag.  I let it sit in the fridge for about an hour or two.  Minutensteaks are 1.5 - 2 cm thick and thus cook evenly.

1/3 c water
3 tbsp fish sauce (yes, do it)
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 packages (8 pc total) chicken breast Minutensteaks

Blue Cheese Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
120 g blue cheese
2 tbsp minced parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
fresh ground pepper to taste
salt to taste

I like Chef John's trick of freezing the blue cheese and grating it fine.  I also like to add it in chunks.  I also like to add way more than is called for.  You do what you feel is necessary, unless you think adding Bavaria Blu is a good idea.  Use a good cheese like Saint Agur.

Breading

3 stations: plain flour --> buttermilk --> seasoned flour  

• Pat the breasts somewhat dry with paper towels.  
  • Coat everything well at each stage.  
  • Use tongs once you get it in the buttermilk.  
  • Let the breaded chicken sit on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before you start frying.
  • I found that in the original recipe the amounts for the breading were too high, and there was a lot of waste.  So I'd try going with 100g of plain flour and maybe one quarter bottle (500 ml bottle) of the buttermilk.  You can always add more if necessary.
  • The amounts for the seasoned flour might very well be not enough.  This was enough for 4 breasts and there was a good amount left. 

In the seasoned flour:

mix the dry stuff...
150g flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more)
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
...and then mix in 1/8 cup buttermilk to make the outer coating shaggy.

Frying

I fried the breasts 2 at a time in about 3cm of Rapsöl @175°C.  They only took a 3-4 minutes per side.  Let them cool on a wire rack which lacks raw chicken juice.  

Assembly

Get some decent hamburger buns (see previous discussion) and toast the inside surfaces in butter in a nonstick frying pan.  

Drench (yes, DRENCH) the breasts in your favorite wing sauce.  I like Frank's Wings Sauce (not their regular hot sauce!), which you can get at some American shops as well as via the biggest douche in the world's famous website.  

Add a layer of lettuce and even a tomato slice between the bottom bun and the bird if you feel like you need to eat healthy.  The toasted buns should prevent sogginess due to the blue cheese dressing and wing sauce.  

Bought 'fish in batter' shaped as you might expect fish fillets. When I tried, it was fish cakes. Actually very nice fish cakes, but certainly not fish fillet!

I found these at V-Markt.  Taste test coming soonish.  They both feel nice and soft, but the Ibis brand already feels better.

IMG_20220510_203245.jpg.a13d8d406569554e

16 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich (it's not a burger)

Chicken + Brine

Mix the brine up and add the brine and chicken to a ziplock bag.  I let it sit in the fridge for about an hour or two.  Minutensteaks are 1.5 - 2 cm thick and thus cook evenly.

1/3 c water
3 tbsp fish sauce (yes, do it)
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 packages (8 pc total) chicken breast Minutensteaks

Blue Cheese Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
120 g blue cheese
2 tbsp minced parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
fresh ground pepper to taste
salt to taste

I like Chef John's trick of freezing the blue cheese and grating it fine.  I also like to add it in chunks.  I also like to add way more than is called for.  You do what you feel is necessary, unless you think adding Bavaria Blu is a good idea.  Use a good cheese like Saint Agur.

Breading

3 stations: plain flour --> buttermilk --> seasoned flour  

• Pat the breasts somewhat dry with paper towels.  
  • Coat everything well at each stage.  
  • Use tongs once you get it in the buttermilk.  
  • Let the breaded chicken sit on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before you start frying.
  • I found that in the original recipe the amounts for the breading were too high, and there was a lot of waste.  So I'd try going with 100g of plain flour and maybe one quarter bottle (500 ml bottle) of the buttermilk.  You can always add more if necessary.
  • The amounts for the seasoned flour might very well be not enough.  This was enough for 4 breasts and there was a good amount left. 

In the seasoned flour:

mix the dry stuff...
150g flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more)
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
...and then mix in 1/8 cup buttermilk to make the outer coating shaggy.

Frying

I fried the breasts 2 at a time in about 3cm of Rapsöl @175°C.  They only took a 3-4 minutes per side.  Let them cool on a wire rack which lacks raw chicken juice.  

Assembly

Get some decent hamburger buns (see previous discussion) and toast the inside surfaces in butter in a nonstick frying pan.  

Drench (yes, DRENCH) the breasts in your favorite wing sauce.  I like Frank's Wings Sauce (not their regular hot sauce!), which you can get at some American shops as well as via the biggest douche in the world's famous website.  

Add a layer of lettuce and even a tomato slice between the bottom bun and the bird if you feel like you need to eat healthy.  The toasted buns should prevent sogginess due to the blue cheese dressing and wing sauce.  

Annndddd saved.

I've made many buffalo wings before but never thought to make buffalo fillets and turn them into a burger...this is gonna be banging. I just picked up loads of wing sauce on my last trip to Ramstein. I like my blue cheese dressing really chunky, but I usually thin it out with a little buttermilk. I'm obsessed with panko breadcrumbs right now so they'll probably make an appearance on the chicken.