What are you cooking today?

4,765 posts in this topic

I really don't get why outside of Italy, in italian-ish receipts where garlic is required, people think we use that astonishingly huge amoung of garlic :lol:

If the recipe is called 'How to cook 1 clove of garlic', I still cook 2 :)

2 hours ago, tor said:

I like the way you think. :)

2 hours ago, tor said:

I cook tapas like gambas in olive oil or pimientos (small green peppers) in olive oil with 3-4 cloves of garlic. Yeah!

Omelette for one-  fry sliced courgettes, remove. Beat 2 eggs,  season, ( I like to add some curry powder!) add courgettes, and some dicke Bohnen. 

Heat butter in pan, pour in egg mixture, and cook .  Very quick, tasty, and serve with salad or toasted muffin! Oh, I love  mango chutney on the side.

On 3/25/2022, 8:46:16, tor said:

You do mean the Whole Garlic?!

I slow roasted duck the other day to an excellent result. :)

Key points:

- Don't get a cheap Polish duck. Instead buy the more expensive but superior in all ways French Barbary duck (darker tastier meat, less fat).

- Brine the bird: Add 1/2 salt to 4 liters (or approx 1 gallon) of water, add some orange juice&orange peel. Soak the bird in the the brine overnight in a cool place.

- Slow roast 3-4 hours at 160° Celsius on a rack over a pan with water in it until inserted thermometer shows at least 85°C and the legs become somewhat loose.

- Make sauce: Fry some flour in collected duck grease until lightly browned. Add water from roasting pan (lats of flavor dripped in there), as well as a bottle of beer, thyme, pepper, marjoram, bay leaves. A shot of orange liqueur makes it even better.

Pour any leftover drippings in a jar and chill to collect the duck fat - wonderfully tasty for frying anything.

8 hours ago, RedMidge said:

You do mean the Whole Garlic?!

Roast garlic is very mild flavoured.  And no need to skin.  Can even do whole bulbs.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

I slow roasted duck the other day to an excellent result. :)

Key points:

- Don't get a cheap Polish duck. Instead buy the more expensive but superior in all ways French Barbary duck (darker tastier meat, less fat).

- Brine the bird: Add 1/2 salt to 4 liters (or approx 1 gallon) of water, add some orange juice&orange peel. Soak the bird in the the brine overnight in a cool place.

- Slow roast 3-4 hours at 160° Celsius on a rack over a pan with water in it until inserted thermometer shows at least 85°C and the legs become somewhat loose.

- Make sauce: Fry some flour in collected duck grease until lightly browned. Add water from roasting pan (lats of flavor dripped in there), as well as a bottle of beer, thyme, pepper, marjoram, bay leaves. A shot of orange liqueur makes it even better.

Pour any leftover drippings in a jar and chill to collect the duck fat - wonderfully tasty for frying anything.

I can definitely confirm this suggestion. It was the best duck and sauce in my life!!!

6 hours ago, Metall said:

please explain salt to idiots like me ?

1/2 Kg in 4 litres water ?

or 1/2 tablespoon ?

cups ?

Don't want to ruin a good bird... 

Here's hoping it's just half  a teaspoonful or tablespoonful, HH😀

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

or 1/2 tablespoon ?

cups ?

Preface: I’m just guessing!

A 10% brine solution is often used for chicken. So if we extrapolate from there and assume a duck is a chicken that doesn’t cluck, then for 4 litres of water, 10% would be 400g of salt. But since Metall wrote “1/2”, then perhaps she meant 500g, making it a 12.5% brine solution.

Don’t cook my goose if I’m wrong!😃

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Like these, right?

A0AA2816-3A17-45D7-B298-B2C0590CE59C.jpeg

Exactly- I cannot see the point of only using  1 mini , clove!

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Like these, right?

A0AA2816-3A17-45D7-B298-B2C0590CE59C.jpeg

Interesting life lines on your hand, Luke😂
Similar to the way I cut an avocado yesterday! 

But I hope you live a lot longer than my avocado yesterday!❤️😂👍

I borrowed the picture using google. This is an elephant garlic. Enormous, but still 1 garlic 🤓

0A53EE0F-E8F1-46B8-9B48-7FCDDEBB87E2.jpeg

6 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

or 1/2 tablespoon ?

cups ?

The brine was 1/2 cup salt to approx a gallon (3.5 - 4 liters) of water for the brine. I couldn't edit the post any more.