What are you cooking today?

4,761 posts in this topic

On 14/12/2021, 13:50:00, CincyInDE said:

Hey, does anyone know if it's possible to buy poblano peppers and tomatillos in Munich somewhere?

Please stop laughing at my question. 

:)

I found tomatillos at Viktualienmarkt.  No dice on the polbanos.  The website that @Alexnf named has fresh poblanos for a reasonable price, but the timing didn't work for me. 

On 14/12/2021, 13:50:00, CincyInDE said:

Hey, does anyone know if it's possible to buy poblano peppers and tomatillos in Munich somewhere?

Please stop laughing at my question. 

:)

Try: https://shop.mitte-meer.de/mitte-meer-filialen

The Munich branch is near the bottom of the page. I spend far too much money in the Berlin-Schöneberg location.

wine smiley2.jpg

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They cook and taste the same to me. So at least a good substitute. Neither are spicy. 

The Bratpaprikas and Padron peppers have a few hot ones.   Though the ones I got a Kaufland are all boring, the ones I get in summer are more mixed.   I like the suprise factor.

5 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

I found tomatillos at Viktualienmarkt.  No dice on the polbanos.  The website that @Alexnf named has fresh poblanos for a reasonable price, but the timing didn't work for me.

Try Turkish supermarkets - i. e. "Istanbul", Harras - S-Bahn-side of the U6 (exit "Harras", not "Am Harras"), corner Albert-Rosshaupter-Straße/Marbachstraße.

Does the Turkish shop at "Haderner Stern" still exist? They were pretty good, too...

Thanks for the tips everyone,

The tomatillos ended up being rather expensive (3.50€ or so per 100g) so I unfortunately didn't make that much salsa verde.  I used pimientos and some mild, green Turkish chilis (Üçburun) as well as some spicy ones (the package says "Sorte:scharf" lol). 

Here's the technique I used for enchilada red sauce:

https://youtu.be/Un72M6UQDsI

We didn't stack the tortillas, rather dipped them in the sauce, filled them with chicken, refried beans, black beans, and cheese, then rolled them up in a casserole pan. 

Side note: cilantro has become fairly easy to find, which makes me happy. 

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You might like this one, Cincy.

I have indeed been sad at many Mexican restaurants.  All of them were in Munich. 

It's time for last-minute candy and cookie production.

Pan of stovetop chocolate fudge: 2 C sugar, 1/3 C cocoa, 1 C milk, 1/4 C corn syrup. Once you've got the candy to a simmer, there's not much to do until your timer rings. Bring to boil, turn heat to simmer for one hour. Stir occasionally. Cook until a teaspoonful dropped into a cup of cold water can be formed into a medium-firm ball. Take from heat and add 2 TBSP butter. After fifteen minutes add 2 tsp vanilla and begin stirring - in ten minutes or less the fudge will begin to tighten. Quickly smooth it into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. As soon as it hardens, cut into pieces. This was my mother's recipe.

61c2bf68e1932_Fudge122121.JPG.c293c3554d

I just put on 5 lbs looking at that fudge! Somethings just pull the heartstrings and the memories!  

Christmas has officially started for me!

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I just ran across these 36 cooking tips. I will be using some of them that I haven't seen before.

#4 Roll oranges/lemons/whatever on the counter forcefully. Same result.

Mousse au Chocolate - made yesterday - only this evening the whipped cream plus bits of chocolate added:

Mousse-au-C.jpg

Something from Xmas. I made a lobster roll salad and served it on top mashed avocado. You can do the same with shrimp, but Lidl had a lobster special, so I took advantage of that. 

I had filet mignon after that, but I didn’t get a pic. That was a HelloFresh meal kit for the filet. Not bad, but I probably could have done without it. The lobster salad was my own dish. I’m going to attempt homemade miso ramen today. 

H9SLXoT.jpg