What are you cooking today?

4,765 posts in this topic

A pressure cooker is great for chicken soup. When my son Vierling was in college 20 miles away he called me one night at 5 PM, barely able to talk, asking me what to do about his horrible new cold. I threw a frozen jointed chicken into the pressure cooker with the usual onion and carrot mixture, plus cloves, ginger, peppercorns, lots of garlic cloves, and a bottle of Dos Equis beer. When the soup was done I packed up a container and drove it down to him. At 8 PM, after two large bowls full, he was on his way back to the land of the living.

Before you ask, he didn't have a car or a driver's license.

Oh yeah, forgot the onion. Fry one with the meat before adding water. Superfluous if you use leeks.

5 hours ago, katheliz said:

Even if he had, it would have been suicidal to drive in that condition.

And homicidal to use public transport...;)

23 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I've never found Entrecote here that has proper marbling like the Ami ribeye. Also, they trim ALL of the fat off of the edges which takes away flavor.

We paid € 36 for those 2 steaks. Well worth it.

Have you ever tried a Turkish butcher? The one here at the corner has nice marbled ones with fat at the edges for a good price.

I think fraufruit actually mentioned a store called Oriental Bavarian (or Bavarian Oriental? ;) ) in Schwabing that had good meat, too.  ):)

On 20/11/2021, 04:54:33, katheliz said:

A pressure cooker is great for chicken soup. When my son Vierling was in college 20 miles away he called me one night at 5 PM, barely able to talk, asking me what to do about his horrible new cold. I threw a frozen jointed chicken into the pressure cooker with the usual onion and carrot mixture, plus cloves, ginger, peppercorns, lots of garlic cloves, and a bottle of Dos Equis beer. When the soup was done I packed up a container and drove it down to him. At 8 PM, after two large bowls full, he was on his way back to the land of the living.

Thats what my mother would do if I call her. But if it was my daughter i will drive to her with two  Aspirin400  vitamin c tablets. 

17 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Sure.  Aspirin on an empty stomach.  Great call.

Not in my  case.  my daughter will never call with empty stomach

Not actually what I have cooked today, but more a request for advice.

Schwieger-Tiger (aka MIL) is ill - can barely move, and is on the sofa just lounging around and waiting for her painkillers to help.

Since she managed to break off a part of her false teeth over the weekend, I need some good ideas for suitable food for her that doesn´t need chewing - her taste in food is terrible bland, so yesterday it was scrambled egg for breakfast and rice pudding for lunch.

Any good, bland ideas would be a huge help!

And yes, the doctor is coming round later to reassess the situation.

Add equal volume of hartweizen griess to salted boiling water containing some ginger and garlic. Add more water for desired consistency. Before serving soak it with mashed banana. 

53 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

scrambled egg for breakfast and rice pudding for lunch.

And pray what is wrong with these ?

1 hour ago, jubinjohn said:

Add equal volume of hartweizen griess to salted boiling water containing some ginger and garlic. Add more water for desired consistency. Before serving soak it with mashed banana. 

thanks for that one, but when I say bland, I really do mean bland! Nothing hot and spicey, and minimal salt and pepper!!!

@ Keleth - nothing at all, but I am not used to cooking for people without teeth, so my list of ideas is very short!

@ Fruity - yes, that sounds good, thanks!

For today I am doing a vegetable soup and pureeing it so that it literally just slides down, but I am very happy to receive more ideas, as the week is long!

Thankyou for your ideas so far!

Here are a few…. https://chefsforseniors.com/blog/10-foods-for-seniors-without-teeth

Maybe something like a bolognaise or chilli sauce that you can blend. Small type well cooked pasta or well cut up spaghetti.  Or even with bulgur as it’s smaller than usual rice. You could do the same blending with a shepherd’s/cottage pie meat/veg mix with mashed potatoes on top. Carrot/parsnip/sweet potato mash is also a good nutritious topping….a light sprinkling of grated cheese too.

Good luck!

No.

No semolina. No bulgur. No couscous.

Suffocation hazard. Believe me.

Don't puree too fine either. Same issue. And it takes the joy out of eating.

Cut/chop the food finely. And be patient.

Bouillon/stock from meat and bones are best in your case for the time being.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I think she wants more variety.

How about some vegetable puree with mashed potatoes. 

I agree, think baby food.  Pureed veg would be really good for her, or pureed lentil soup.

Good luck with it, can't be easy caring for her.

Chicken and rice is the bland but nutritious food we were advised to give our sick dog 20 years ago - maybe that would be good. You could blend it to whatever consistency you think is appropriate and maybe add veg for colour  - pumpkin or whatever.