What are you cooking today?

4,761 posts in this topic

Spicy Meatloaf

900g ground beef (I would have used 1kg but beef often comes in 300g packets these days)

4-5 smallish packets of "saltines" (the Italian kind you can get at Edeka, about 10 or 12 squares per packet).  I would have preferred bread crumbs or Paniermehl but I was fresh out.  The Saltines worked very well, though. 

400g mushrooms

1 medium onion

2 large carrots

12 or so lemon drop chilies from the balcony (very optional)

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

salt

pepper

1 Tbsp herbs de Provence

1 Tbsp garlic powder

100g or so Parmesan cheese

Glaze:

mix together

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup Dijon

even more Worcestershire sauce (many good shakes)

Grate the carrots and onion and sautee in vegetable oil on medium high heat.  Finely chop the chilies and mushrooms.  Add them to the skillet.  Continue to cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and the mixture is somewhat dry and slightly browned.  When it's done let it cool off. 

While the onions, etc. are sauteeing, mix the egg and add a half cup of milk to a large work bowl.  Crush up the crackers and dump the powder in and let it hydrate for about 10 minutes.  Once the onion mixture is cooled off, add everything except the glaze to the bowl and start mixing with your hands (I was gloved).  To taste for salt I nuked a very small portion.  To add salt you could add more cheese or Worcestershire sauce.  Or you could add salt.  Your call. 

I had to adjust the wetness (add more crackers and cheese).  This is reflected in the ingredient list already. 

For the glaze, I had spiked my low-sugar ketchup with 100% PAIN hot sauce (found it at Edeka), so that's also spicy. 

Form your meatloaf on a lined baking sheet.  I have a Silpat now, so I used that.  Backpapier would also work well.  I went long, wide, and low (2-3 cm high) to maximize surface for the glaze.  I applied half of the glaze towards the end, but I feel like I should have applied it at the beginning.  Maybe because the ketchup was low sugar it didn't brown up, although it did get thicker.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I baked with convection @ 150°C for about 40 Minutes, then applied the 1st glaze.  I stuck in the thermometer and saw that it was technically ready (70°C), so I lowered the oven to 130°C switched to broiler (oberhitze) and put it back in the oven.  @50 Minutes I added the 2nd glaze.  I left it in for another 10 minutes, and after I pulled it out, I moved it to a cutting board and let it rest for 15 Minutes. 

Despite cooking for too long it remained very moist, which made me happy. 

Serve with mashed potatoes and peas. 

58 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Spicy Meatloaf

900g ground beef (I would have used 1kg but beef often comes in 300g packets these days)

Serves 1 person, right 👻?

31 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Serves 1 person, right 👻?

Ha!  That's why you make 2kg of mashed potatoes to go with it!

Pro tip: if you have mashed potatoes without gravy, you really need to double-down on the butter. 

8 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Spicy Meatloaf

4-5 smallish packets of "saltines" (the Italian kind you can get at Edeka, about 10 or 12 squares per packet).  I would have preferred bread crumbs or Paniermehl but I was fresh out.  The Saltines worked very well, though. 

400g mushrooms

1 medium onion

2 large carrots

12 or so lemon drop chilies from the balcony (very optional)

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

salt

pepper

1 Tbsp herbs de Provence

1 Tbsp garlic powder

100g or so Parmesan cheese

Glaze:

mix together

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup Dijon

even more Worcestershire sauce (many good shakes)

Grate the carrots and onion and sautee in vegetable oil on medium high heat.  Finely chop the chilies and mushrooms.  Add them to the skillet.  Continue to cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and the mixture is somewhat dry and slightly browned.  When it's done let it cool off. 

While the onions, etc. are sauteeing, mix the egg and add a half cup of milk to a large work bowl.  Crush up the crackers and dump the powder in and let it hydrate for about 10 minutes.  Once the onion mixture is cooled off, add everything except the glaze to the bowl and start mixing with your hands (I was gloved).  To taste for salt I nuked a very small portion.  To add salt you could add more cheese or Worcestershire sauce.  Or you could add salt.  Your call. 

I had to adjust the wetness (add more crackers and cheese).  This is reflected in the ingredient list already. 

For the glaze, I had spiked my low-sugar ketchup with 100% PAIN hot sauce (found it at Edeka), so that's also spicy. 

Form your meatloaf on a lined baking sheet.  I have a Silpat now, so I used that.  Backpapier would also work well.  I went long, wide, and low (2-3 cm high) to maximize surface for the glaze.  I applied half of the glaze towards the end, but I feel like I should have applied it at the beginning.  Maybe because the ketchup was low sugar it didn't brown up, although it did get thicker.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I baked with convection @ 150°C for about 40 Minutes, then applied the 1st glaze.  I stuck in the thermometer and saw that it was technically ready (70°C), so I lowered the oven to 130°C switched to broiler (oberhitze) and put it back in the oven.  @50 Minutes I added the 2nd glaze.  I left it in for another 10 minutes, and after I pulled it out, I moved it to a cutting board and let it rest for 15 Minutes. 

Despite cooking for too long it remained very moist, which made me happy. 

Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.

Can I come over for dinner? Can I ?? Please! :D 

9 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Ha!  That's why you make 2kg of mashed potatoes to go with it!

Pro tip: if you have mashed potatoes without gravy, you really need to double-down on the butter. 

My favorite meal to make is my Mom's meatloaf recipe, mashed potatoes, and corn.  My local Kaufland sells frozen sweet corn and corn on the cob that is just like I remember it.

10 hours ago, JG52 said:

My favorite meal to make is my Mom's meatloaf recipe, mashed potatoes, and corn.  My local Kaufland sells frozen sweet corn and corn on the cob that is just like I remember it.

Next time I'm at Kaufland I'm going to look for frozen corn.  Canned is ok and better than nothing but frozen would be rather nice.  I occasionally buy fresh corn on the cob but 1 euro per ear for already-shucked corn triggers me.  Leave it unshucked so I can grill it, assholes. 

13 hours ago, Metall said:

Can I come over for dinner? Can I ?? Please! :D 

The topic title says "today," but I made the meatloaf days before the post.  ;)

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

The topic title says "today," but I made the meatloaf days before the post.  ;)

Well, you could cook it again and invite. Take it as a compliment. :D

6 minutes ago, Metall said:

Well, you could cook it again and invite. Take it as a compliment. :D

The next best thing to meatloaf fresh from the oven is cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day.  I used to make English muffin bread specifically for my meatloaf sandwiches.  The bread is also good on it's own lightly toasted.

Didn‘t feel like extensive cooking, so I sliced two sausages in small pieces, put it in a frying pan together with sliced pre-cooked potato, red onion, mushroom and tomato. Added cubic bacon pieces. Added créme fraîche and fresh coriander at the end. Quite tasty. 

OMG! We found American ribeye roast in Galleria Kaufhof yesterday. They had 2 other options that weren't American and therefore, not marbled. We got a couple of pieces cut for grilling. Himself marinated them today and put them on the grill. He served them with home made Pfannengemüse. I must say that I have never had such a good steak in Germany except for one grill party.

steak.jpg.89834f9386764362fcaeb1e9d4f726

Almost all of the Rewe stores in my area have a dry-aged beef section with primal cuts hanging on display.  These are for cut to order steaks, with the most popular being T-bone and Entrecôte (Ribeye).

The Germans don't appear to distinguish between Porterhouse and T-bone, so I have to be specific on which end of the shank I want my steak.  Most of the time I buy a 5cm thick Entrecôte for the grill.  When the Entrecôte is not available, I'll get a thick Porterhouse.

If you haven't tried dry-aged beef, you are missing out on a fantastic steak.  After you trim the manky parts away, which are a natural byproduct of the dry aging, the meat is a deeper red, almost burgundy, color and has more flavor.  The dry-aged beef is more expensive than regular beef, but for me it is worth it.  A 4-5cm thick Entrecôte is about €35.

Our corner Rewe doesn't have them.

I've never found Entrecote here that has proper marbling like the Ami ribeye. Also, they trim ALL of the fat off of the edges which takes away flavor.

We paid € 36 for those 2 steaks. Well worth it.

So what with gas prices going up (have gas cooker) found a pressure cooker recipe for dahl which is prettty good.  Fry up onions garlic ginger, chilli cumin and a coriander seed.. Them tomatoes and turmeric, add lentils plus x 3 water.    5 mins at full pressure, then slow release.  Added spinach.  It really was not far off the long one I usually do.    Going to buy trivet so can cook the rice on top in a bowl.  Also five minutes.   

Can always tweak and make more interesting by frying up some more chllli and garlic to put on top.  Coriander, tomato onion salad, raita.

But wow 5 minute cooking 

Anyone else have any pressure cooker recipes that work well?  I use mine mostly for cooking beans, and making stock from chicken and turkey carcasses.  Have never had much luck with meat though.  Tastes like tinned stuff.  

Beef hock on the bone. Sear it both sides in a slash of oil then add water and cook for an hour or so with a bay leaf. Depressurise, remove bone, the meat should fall off it easily, add carrots, potatoes, leeks OR mushrooms, a tomato or three for acidity. Pressurize, cook veg 5 mins. Salt and black pepper. Done. Tasty.

Next day if you have leftovers you can turn it into a couscous by adding crushed cardamom and cumin to the sauce. Bring to boil, add couscous, wait 5 mins for it to swell. Done. Tasty.

Impossible to get wrong.