What are you cooking today?

4,629 posts in this topic

Thank you everyone! I actually figured out how to link it through Imgur. They moved the button from the last time I posted a pic here. 

Let me try it with what I made tonight. French onion soup with an Appenzeller/Gruyère cheese mix. I didn’t have any wine in the house (Sober October challenge), so I used a splash of white wine vinegar with an equal splash of water. I prefer the wine more. 

zEK2c1o.jpg

8 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I made braised oxtail over egg noodles the other day. 

Trying to post an image, but it won’t work.

Here’s the link:

https://imgur.com/a/8AnbquI

And if anyone can fill me in on how to post an image, that would be great! 

Looks great! My mother didn’t cook much very often though she used to cook a great oxtail casserole.  I’m vegetarian now though have good memories.

Ha, emkay! I love boiled potatoes with parsley and always ordered it for over 20 years at a seminar hotel at the North Sea area in Germany  ( village of Dangast ) but my dearly missed Irish-American buddy Tom from da Bronx NEVER.

" My mother, Mary, was a lousy cook. Every f... day.. boiled f... potatoes."😂😇

2 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Let me try it with what I made tonight. French onion soup with an Appenzeller/Gruyère cheese mix. I didn’t have any wine in the house (Sober October challenge), so I used a splash of white wine vinegar with an equal splash of water. I prefer the wine more. 

It worked.

As for the wine: I usually substitute it with good apple juice.

4 minutes ago, katheliz said:

A good tool for resizing photos is PIXresizer, and it's free.

It's also possible with Paint which is included in Windows.

6 minutes ago, katheliz said:

A good tool for resizing photos is PIXresizer, and it's free.

I use the command "convert" (ImageMagick; Ubuntu) from a shell. Yes, it's free.

13 hours ago, Sannerl said:

It worked.

As for the wine: I usually substitute it with good apple juice.

Thank you for the apple juice tip! I have greatly reduced my alcohol intake this year and I am trying to find ways to cook without it because I simply don’t want it in the house (or I’ll drink it). Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy alcohol, but the pandemic made it so damn easy to just drink at home more often than I wanted to. It has also made my glass recycling so much easier! 

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

Thank you for the apple juice tip! I have greatly reduced my alcohol intake this year and I am trying to find ways to cook without it because I simply don’t want it in the house (or I’ll drink it). Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy alcohol, but the pandemic made it so damn easy to just drink at home more often than I wanted to. It has also made my glass recycling so much easier! 

I've started using apple juice in place of wine years ago because one of our best friends is an alcoholic.

Not former, because it's a constant struggle.

Most times - especially when there are tomatoes involved - you also need a good pinch of sugar.

Apple juice provides that. Case closed.

24 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

I've started using apple juice in place of wine years ago because one of our best friends is an alcoholic.

Not former, because it's a constant 

🎩 🧢 👒 off to you for acknowledging, and being so supportive of, your friend‘s struggle.  You really are a „best“ friend.  

27 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

🎩 🧢 👒 off to you for acknowledging, and being so supportive of, your friend‘s struggle.  You really are a „best“ friend.  

(sigh) Thank you for your kind words - but we still are mourning our other late friend where we're not entitled to get any information about the exact circumstances of his death...

Graupen (grob), pearl barley (coarse) from Brueggen of Luebeck. Cooked them yesterday, heated them up again today, lots of complex carbohydrates.

Brueggen makes lots of muesli products, the odors waft across town, I identified malty, honey, chocolate.

Just made one of my favourite dips: guacamole. One avocado, one clove garlic, half red onion, some cherry tomato w/o pulp, one small green pepper, the juice of a lime and some fresh coriander. Put it all in the mixer. 5 minutes of “work“.

I've been up since 6:30. My wife has been hounding me for my version of dal (based on a Hugh Acheson recipe) for the last few weeks. So, I started at 8:45 cooking the lentils.

I sautéed onions and many, many spices in ghee. Once that cooked up, I added carrots and diced tomatoes and let that cook up. Then, I add coconut milk and drain and add the lentils. It needs to simmer for a long time, but it is good. 

11 hours ago, Elljay said:

Lose the small green pepper and I'm in!

I could leave the seeds out 🌶.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I could leave the seeds out 🌶.

I'll take them.

Coq au Vin - every time a winner.   With lots of onion & this time peeled paprikas cut into thin stripes.

Served with noodles (for the ladies) & röstis (for me).  To drink: FUENTESPINA Crianza 2018 from Jacques Wein-Depot.

I did this recently with an old bird, not a cock as intended but a frozen bio Suppenhahn.   They are small, and have less fat than the stuff you normally get.  But with  the slow cooking and the red wine and bacon, usw did its magic.