What are you cooking today?

4,551 posts in this topic

I made Asian turkey meatballs, but with chicken. Made a big batch and froze some. So good and a diet recipe. For some reason my local Lidl has a regular supply of chicken and turkey mince. 

https://www.skinnytaste.com/asian-turkey-meatballs-with-lime-sesame/

I also made Greek chicken burgers. Just mixed the mince with frozen spinach, feta, garlic, an egg, and breadcrumbs. Made 6 patties from 600g of meat. 

Leftovers again- cooked salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, mix. Together with chopped spring onions. Sseason with S&P, garlc,chili, oregon, lemon juice ( and mix and match seasoning!), throw in some breadcrumbs and an egg- form cakes. Roll in breadcrumbs- chill and then fry.  Whatever salad you like- I make a green salad with avocados. Lemon slices, horseradish on the side.

I just need to get some garlic, Tor! That perfect Geistersuppe is not yet perfect😇! 

Vegetarian avocado & white bean sandwich  (makes 4 sandwiches)

2 avocados  (med size)

1 15 oz can of white beans or chickpeas or black beans

2 tablespoons of lemon juice (fresh squeezed preferred)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 clove garlic, grated

1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

8 slices whole-wheat bread toasted (or whatever bread you desire)

1 cup chopped roasted peppers (rinsed)

8 thin slices sharp cheddar cheese

4 cups baby or romaine lettuce

Mash avocados, beans, lemon juice, oil, garlic, thyme and ground pepper in a bowl until well combined but a tad chunky (not mushy)

Divide amongst 4 slices of toasted bread, top each with roasted red peppers, 2 slices of cheddar cheese, lettuce and top with another slice of toasted bread.

Vegans: Omit the cheese (but you know that!)

Carnivores:  Include a few thin slices of roasted turkey breast or ham if you desire some additional protein

5 Risky Refrigerator Mistakes to Avoid Recipe | EatingWell

Marinated chicken pieces- spicy tikka masala,. Then baked in oven yesterday. Served today with home made coleslaw and

lemony lentil salad. 

34 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Will I eat mushrooms again?!

Ah, we had " magic " mushrooms back yonder!😂

On August 24, 2021 at 2:45:37 PM, john g. said:

Ah, we had " magic " mushrooms back yonder!😂

I seem to recall an invasion of "Travellers" to the New Forest in search of the magic mushrooms some years ago.

The local police were out in force. 

This week I will make plum jam. 

I make jams a few times a year: cherries from my garden, pumpkin because it's fun, and plums when they are cheap from the discounter.

So bought a few kg of plums, 1.49 eur/kg at Aldi, looking forward to fun later in the week... 

The whole thing takes like 3kWh of electricity, which is a lot, hope it's sunny so the electricity needed for the cooking comes "free" from my PV...

With the raspberry plants I have now, I get daily just a little handful to add to  yogurt etc. Absolutely perfect.
But I'm greedy, and I still free space in the garden. So let's say my daily harvest next year doubles, this will be too big to consume daily fresh, and still too little to make jams.
Can I freeze raspberries for a few days/weeks, so once I accumulated plenty I thaw them and make a large amount of jam?

Should I wash them before freezing? Or after? Or no need at all since with jam making they will cook at high temperature for a long time?
Or any other suggestion?

Thanks,

I'\ve used frozen raspberries and blackberries before. They tend to be a bit mushy after thawing but they're fine for jams or sauces where you're going to cook them down anyway.  Can also be used straight from the freezer to make frozen smoothies  - but that's  probably nicer in the summer months than winter ones :)   

Do you strain the seeds out before making raspberry jam?  I made some prickly pear chutney  but forgot that the pears have quite large seeds in them so I end up having to pick them out of the chutney before eating.