What are you cooking today?

4,517 posts in this topic

I made corned beef and turned some of it into labskaus. I didn't use pink salt. It is delicious!

labskaus1.JPG

Tor鉂わ笍
聽You didn鈥檛 use pink salt? Verraeter! I hope you put it in the beer, though! We all need supplementary stuff in our diet as we age!!!

On 02/05/2021, 15:28:43, klingklang77 said:

@CincyInDE聽May I ask where you got your ribeye and provolone from?聽

Edeka (Hadern) of all places.聽 It was definitely not spectacular rib eye but then again it doesn't need to be with that preparation.聽 My Edeka only has provolone sporadically.聽 It's also not spectacular, but together with the rest it rounds out the sandwich nicely.

2 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

聽 It was definitely not spectacular rib eye

What it is called in German? What would be a similar German cut?

Thanks @Sannerl

I always have trouble figuring out which cuts I can use for which recipes.聽

4 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Edeka (Hadern) of all places.聽 It was definitely not spectacular rib eye but then again it doesn't need to be with that preparation.聽 My Edeka only has provolone sporadically.聽 It's also not spectacular, but together with the rest it rounds out the sandwich nicely.

Thanks! I have had some luck with Lidl of all places and their ribeyes. I had a really good steak from my local Rewe in Ramersdorf. It was from the fridge, too. It was one of those vacuum packed brands. I鈥檒l get the name next time. I鈥檒l have to keep my eye out for provolone now. I bet Edeka Simmel in Unterhaching has it.聽

I got a sous vide stick to make my steaks nice and tender, and I鈥檓 quite happy with it. It still lacks a little bit, but it will do. It saves money, too.聽

Thank you @Tor.
I have a jar 'rollmops' in the fridge.
Meant for fish bread rolls, now i have an additional idea. :-)

35 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Thanks! I have had some luck with Lidl of all places and their ribeyes. I had a really good steak from my local Rewe in Ramersdorf. It was from the fridge, too. It was one of those vacuum packed brands. I鈥檒l get the name next time. I鈥檒l have to keep my eye out for provolone now. I bet Edeka Simmel in Unterhaching has it.聽

I got a sous vide stick to make my steaks nice and tender, and I鈥檓 quite happy with it. It still lacks a little bit, but it will do. It saves money, too.聽

I've had better luck with the rib eye from the supermarket butcher than the vacuum-packed supermarket stuff from Ireland.聽 I also have a sous vide but it's self-contained and basically doubles as a crock pot.聽 I am hopelessly bad at sauteing steak to medium rare, so yeah, sous vide.聽

The provolone at my Edeka is found near the butcher and cheese counter -- not with the cheese that's by the yogurt.聽 FYI.聽

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

I am hopelessly bad at sauteing steak to medium rare,

When this goddamn Covid crock is over, I'll invite you over to my little BBQ event and show you. We might have to do *several* test runs. ;)

8 hours ago, Metall said:

When this goddamn Covid crock is over, I'll invite you over to my little BBQ event and show you. We might have to do *several* test runs. ;)

And I could prepare some pork belly on the side - the recipe I found聽https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/red-braised-pork-belly/ is pretty close to that from the Yan You. No potatoes and spicier, but similar else.

Yum, pork belly! That鈥檚 another one I can鈥檛 get quite right. It also comes out chewy. The cracklings comes out great, but I actually prefer the meat part more and can never get it perfect.聽

I have some ramen stock in my freezer that I need to use up soon. I鈥檒l have to try that above recipe.聽

6 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Yum, pork belly! That鈥檚 another one I can鈥檛 get quite right. It also comes out chewy. The cracklings comes out great, but I actually prefer the meat part more and can never get it perfect.聽

Looks like you will need to confer with Sannerl at a future (safe, Covid-free) event. :)

21 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I have some ramen stock in my freezer that I need to use up soon. I鈥檒l have to try that above recipe.聽

Have you ever tried simmering it in Kraut?

Or keeping the meaty part submerged in vegetables while it's in the oven?

Or a R枚mertopf?

Slowly does it.

On 2.5.2021, 20:05:47, tor said:

I made corned beef and turned some of it into labskaus. I didn't use pink salt. It is delicious!

I was brought up on Labskaus... in Manchester.

We called it corned beef hash back then.

And certainly didn't聽tart it up with herrings or gherkins.

Truly flummoxed when I saw it in Hamburg (Old Commercial Rooms)

as an expensive delicacy. Thats obviously the tarting up that makes it special.;)

Now I know what I'l make for dinner.

Thanks @tor