What are you cooking today?

4,537 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

It is pretty easy to get a couple of tablespoons out of the jar but the more organised would probably freeze overnight on a plate, and then transfer to a jar. 

You can also freeze in icecube trays then transfer for easy portioning.

Well this paper towel thing is all news to me.

My bags of leaf salad become slime with a particularly gross stench after a very short time (especially since I'm big in the habit of buying reduced ;)) - tbf stuff doesn't need a long shelf life because we have teenagers, but I'm going to re-read the precise dessa instructions and my loose leaf life will be transformed :)

Every day is a school day! Thanks chaps.

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You can also freeze in icecube trays then transfer for easy portioning.

That is the even more organised who can find their icecube trays.

This is also a reason to eat Pizza and forget fresh veg....    :o

Himself buys celery sticks and puts them in the veg drawer without anything. Then he uses them every day in salads, soups and sauces. Gone in a week. We like celery but not the German kind - the big, hard root thing.

When I used to be the head cook, I would cut up lettuce (iceberg, Romaine, etc.) and wash good in my salad spinner. Then I would put a paper towel in the bottom of a big ziploc bag and put the lettuce in. It stayed fresh and crisp and didn't brown for a week.

OK, time for a recipe again. I cooked an own version of  polpette. This is the Italian version of Fleischpflanzern. Mixed minced meat (half porc, half beef) with classic herbs like salt, pepper and nutmeg , fresh chopped parsley and garlic. Cooked 20 minutes on medium heat in real butter to get a nice brown sauce. 

Just by chance, my produce box arrived a little while ago, including information on storing romaine!

'Store romaine in a perforated bag or loosely sealed reusable container in the refrigerator to allow the lettuce to breathe.'

sometimes I take prepared items and jazz them up.  I like the new (to me at least) brand of spaghetti sauce from Felix.  It's not too sweet (keep in mind I'm American) and tastes nice.

I disassembled some also-new-to-me Edeka-brand Italian fennel sausage and sauteed the crumbles with half a huge diced onion and half a head of minced garlic.

When it was just about finished, I accidentally dumped about a quarter cup more fennel seeds into the pan.  Then I fished out as many as I could and added 2 jars of Felix sauce and let that simmer while I put water on to boil for the pasta.  I should have drained the sausage but oh well. 

I ended up tossing just over half the sauce with 250g (dry weight) of pasta.  Freshly grated Parmesan on top and it was pretty darn good for minimal effort. 

4 hours ago, katheliz said:

Just by chance, my produce box arrived a little while ago, including information on storing romaine!

'Store romaine in a perforated bag or loosely sealed reusable container in the refrigerator to allow the lettuce to breathe.'

I usually use up my romaine pretty fast, but I also prep it before using.  I do just throw it in the fridge in its plastic and it doesn't look great after a couple days but it doesn't matter much because I always pluck the leaves I want, then soak them in the salad spinner for an hour before I want to use them.  Not ideal for a spontaneous salad but an OK option if you know beforehand that you want one.  I also toss the arugula in there too so everything is plump and knackig, in better shape than when I found it!

1 hour ago, CincyInDE said:

Felix sauce

Well, as you know, I am a huge fan of your work in the kitchen, but Felix? :o

The cat food?:lol:

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I also prep it before using

Gosh. All of you are real lettuce pros. I buy it, dump it on the side, then when it is required, open the bag, pick off the nasty bits, chop it if needed, and Bob's your wotsit.

Major re-think required. Am clearing out the fridge first....

8 hours ago, kiplette said:

Well, as you know, I am a huge fan of your work in the kitchen, but Felix? :o

The cat food?

Don't shame me.  it's specially formulated to keep my hairball problem to a meownimum. 

If you have a garden space or even a sunny balcony, grow some lettuce. Markets also sell plugs of young sprouts, for your convenience. We've grown romaine and buttercrunch the most. It's an easy sprouter, and if you stagger planting, you will buy minimal lettuce in the summer (depending on the space and your salad habits). We have salad of some kind every night, either lettuce or cucumber based, and have gone several weeks without needing to buy them.

I made Philly cheese steaks last night.

400g thinly sliced and lightly chopped rib eye
1 medium-large onion
250g mushrooms (next time I will use more, so go with 400g if you like mushrooms)
1 package sliced provolone
bottled red jalapenos (optional)
Edeka brand finish-baking-it-yourself ciabatta
salt and pepper

BREAD

Prepare the bread ahead of time.  We don't want it crusty because that makes a lousy sandwich.
Put a casserole dish full of hot water into the bottom of the oven.
Bake the bread according to the package.  Do preheat properly.
When it's done turn off the oven and prop open the door a little bit.  Leave the bread in there until you need it.
If it's getting soggy obviously pull it out, but I didn't have that issue.  

VEG

Set a skillet to medium-high
Slice the mushrooms and sautee in neutral oil for about 5 minutes
Dice the onion and add that to the mushrooms
Don't forget salt and pepper
Sautee until the mushrooms and onions get like you like them
It's kind of important that they are not too wet at this point

When they're ready, remove the onions and mushrooms from the skillet and set aside

MEAT

Set the heat to medium low and let the skillet cool a bit
Add the sliced/chopped steak to the skillet. Do not salt it yet!
Move the steak around a lot and break up any big chunks.
Cook the steak until it's no longer pink.  Do not brown the steak!  Weird, I know.  
Now add the salt and pepper

ASSEMBLY

Layer the cheese slices on top and cover the skillet
When the cheese gets all melty-melty add all the veg (don't forget the jalapenos if that's how you roll) and mix everything up
Cut the ciabatta from the side.  Leave it connected at the back like a hot dog.
Fill the slit with the guts.

Enjoy