What are you cooking today?

4,504 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm big on wrapping other perishables in paper towels to store in the frig. Works wonders for lettuce, etc. 

same, I do it for a lot of things, fresh spinach, arugula... these also have their own containers in the fridge (basket in the crisper for spinach, ice cream tub for the arugula) rather than the original packaging which tends to speed up the decomposition process.

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm big on wrapping other perishables in paper towels to store in the frig. Works wonders for lettuce, etc. 

Wrap celery in aluminum foil. It lasts for months!

Excellent fresh mussels from Ireland. Pretty!

Steamed with juice and vegetables, served with Farfalle.

We have leftovers and still a lot of live ones (I've already sorted out the few damaged ones and cleaned the whole lot but left the beard on for now, of course).

If you wrap iceberg lettuce tightly in plastic wrap, it will last till kingdom come. I don't have the same success with other lettuces.

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

If you wrap iceberg lettuce tightly in plastic wrap, it will last till kingdom come. I don't have the same success with other lettuces.

I love Cos lettuce ( Romaine!). I have a large salad spinner, and keep the cleaned lettuce in there, with paper towel on bottom of spinner. It absorbs any moisture and keeps the greenies fresh. Seems to work with iceberg lettuce too.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

Good tip, klingklang! ( Shame I hate celery!😀)

I don’t like celery much either. I just use it sometimes for soups and egg salads. I got sick of it going off when I was only using like one or two stalks at a time. My mom gave me this tip. 

9 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

same, I do it for a lot of things, fresh spinach, arugula... these also have their own containers in the fridge (basket in the crisper for spinach, ice cream tub for the arugula) rather than the original packaging which tends to speed up the decomposition process.

I’m lazy and open the bag and throw in some paper towels with my greens in the bag. Works fine for me! 

8 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I’m lazy and open the bag and throw in some paper towels with my greens in the bag. Works fine for me! 

I did that for a long time too, but always found that the moisture built up and turned some patch into mush... especially with the spinach

Today's menu is beef and vegetable soup. I made beef ribs over the weekend to accompany some empanadas we picked up from a local restaurant. We have been trying to source in a way that minimizes our carbon footprint as much as possible, with most of our meat coming from the EU if not Germany. We are trying to eat meat only twice per week, etc. Unfortunately, German rib meat just is not what one would get in the US and the taste was ill-suited to being eaten as ribs. It is, however, perfect for soup. So, now it is soup.

So, just onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, smoked French garlic, the meat and some stock. Nothing to it. If it feels a little thin later, I may add some barley, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I did that for a long time too, but always found that the moisture built up and turned some patch into mush... especially with the spinach

How long are we talking here? I can get by for 1 1/2-2 weeks with this. 

Hmm, not sure anymore.  Maybe about that amount of time.  It's not that it was completely destroyed, just not great.  It doesn't matter. Both ways are fine. :) 

Everything in my produce drawer gets eaten in a week pretty much.

20 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Wrap celery in aluminum foil. It lasts for months!

Why not eat it? B)

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Everything in my produce drawer gets eaten in a week pretty much.

Why not eat it? B)

I could never eat it all in a week. I buy a broccoli, a cauliflower, some leeks, carrots and a turnip or a sweet potato most times when I go shopping.  I keep them in a drawer in the fridge and they last a few weeks. I take what I need to cook something that will last me for a couple of days, and the rest stays relatively fresh in the "crisper" drawer until I need it.

7 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Today's menu is beef and vegetable soup. I made beef ribs over the weekend to accompany some empanadas we picked up from a local restaurant. We have been trying to source in a way that minimizes our carbon footprint as much as possible, with most of our meat coming from the EU if not Germany. We are trying to eat meat only twice per week, etc. Unfortunately, German rib meat just is not what one would get in the US and the taste was ill-suited to being eaten as ribs. It is, however, perfect for soup. So, now it is soup.

So, just onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, smoked French garlic, the meat and some stock. Nothing to it. If it feels a little thin later, I may add some barley, but we'll see.

Great minds think alike! Have just seen your post! About 7 hours ago, we were in town and decided

spontaneously to buy the ingredients for a beef and vegetable soup!

( We did the shopping while waiting for the vet to complete an operation on a cat😂).

Only differences between your and our ingredients- NO celery😂 ( hate it!) and the beef here is local and of excellent quality.

Mind you, we’re both a bit knackered today and have postponed making the meal till tomorrow!

Just “ grazing “ today...

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I could never eat it all in a week. I buy a broccoli, a cauliflower, some leeks, carrots and a turnip or a sweet potato most times when I go shopping.  I keep them in a drawer in the fridge and they last a few weeks. I take what I need to cook something that will last me for a couple of days, and the rest stays relatively fresh in the "crisper" drawer until I need it.

Yes, exactly. I always buy too much. I’m getting better, though. But celery will last a while because I’m not going to eat a whole head of celery. 

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Hmm, not sure anymore.  Maybe about that amount of time.  It's not that it was completely destroyed, just not great.  It doesn't matter. Both ways are fine. :) 

No, I was just wondering. My family said I shouldn’t be keeping veg for longer than a few days, but it looks and smells fine for me for longer than a few days.

8 hours ago, AlexTr said:

It all sounds delicious. Barley is nice, but you could also add grated potato or crumbled bread, both of which will actually thicken the broth.

@klingklang77 you can totally keep any vegetable as long as it tastes and smells fine.  "A few days" is ridiculous.  

I dunno, arugula started to wilt after a few days with paper towel in its packaging.  Without paper towel it's useless after two days after the package is opened.  When I put it in its own container it retains moisture and stays fresh and I really don't have to worry about it.  That's why I don't know the exact amount of time, because I don't have to pay close attention anymore.  Ditto spinach. Since corona, no leafy vegetable stays longer than a week in the fridge, but I've already been so long in the habit of not wanting anything to be spoiled just because I came back to it two weeks later.  Like, I want it to be good for another two weeks after that, if need be.  But now I eat most of my meals at home so not really an issue anymore.  I guess I could start just throwing paper towels in the bags but I already have a system in place, it is like clockwork, and for me it works better, is cleaner and neater and keeps stuff fresh for... as long as I need it!  Can't get any more detailed than that, I'm afraid! ;) 

I chop and cook celery and freeze.  It is pretty easy to get a couple of tablespoons out of the jar but the more organised would probably freeze overnight on a plate, and then transfer to a jar.  When I am super organised I fry it with carrot and onion similarly as something to throw into a sauce when preparing.  Sadly, not always that organised.