What are you cooking today?

4,453 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, HEM said:

...and for this evening: roats leg of lamb with Apricot stuffing.   Lecker!

My wife admits that she had never had roast lamb until we shacked up together 35+ years ago & its now one of her favourite dinners.

She even ate the gravy I made with it!

Same here- O/H had never had lamb, till my Mum made her roast lamb and lamb hotpot dishes!

Mmm!

Somehow the Germans - unless they go to a Greek restaurent - have an aversion to lamb.

Must be a similar genetic problem to the "we don't eat raisins" syndrome.

42 minutes ago, HEM said:

Somehow the Germans - unless they go to a Greek restaurent - have an aversion to lamb.

Must be a similar genetic problem to the "we don't eat raisins" syndrome.

It’s expensive. Pork is cheaper.

And if I mention mint sauce to Germans, they grimace and think I’m talking about spearmint/ chewing gum etc!😂

Tonight, I had ostrich steak with fresh rosemary, baked potato and sautéed aubergine, champignon and carrot topped with crème fraîche and black pepper. Side lollo rosso salad with mozzarella, cherry tomato, big green olives, cucumber and large shrimps. Rioja crianza as wine. Crème brûlée as dessert. 

I am getting old, Luke! I would fall asleep after the fresh rosemary and maybe one baked potato!😂

Definitely!😂

That is one of the reasons I avoid red wine like the plague!

( The other reason why I avoid red wine has to do with an evening on Crete about 15 years ago when Nicole and I were visiting and I had some cheap red wine and we left the taverna and then I ended up doing a walkabout / falling asleep in the pitch dark somewhere and only found our holiday house several hours later)..

We had left the taverna hand in hand! And I disappeared and no memory of why and how.

That scarred me for life!😂 And, erm , it still pops up in conversation!!! Grrhhh...😀

5 hours ago, HEM said:

Often I'm lazy & omit the crosses.  But this time I included them & they worked really well.

After cutting the stripes of cross-pastry I dunked them in a saucer of water before laying on the buns.

This seems to have made them stick really well.

As we're not religious, one year we made them with smiley faces instead of crosses:

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

(Was a bit easier to do the curved mouth as we use a piped flour/water/sugar mix rather than strips of dough) 

We had hot cross buns today, but with subdued crosses; just made the cross-cut slice and after baking, painted the buns with melted butter. My little granddaughter spread lemon glaze over them.

The Fuenflings were here, bringing a magnificent lamb pot pie.

Fuenfling and Soehnchen606a501a1c216_AnthonyandAugie040421.JPG.

We had duck, chicken and pork neck; all sliced and “grilled” on a teppan. Plus mushrooms and vegetables (garlic and garlic stems - hard and chewy when raw, tender and sweet when grilled). All served with rice, garlic, ginger and dipping sauces.

NepMoi (Vietnamese "vodka") as digestive.

Seedless grapes and poppy seed cake for dessert.

Today: "Blumenbrot" (7 buns put together to form a flower) from our Turkish super-market with self-made gravlax.

We were three people on Sunday at Sannerl's place for the teppan. We hadn't eaten all day. :D

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Wait. How many people are you feeding? No leftovers from yesterday which made my mouth water, BTW.

As Metall said... One household plus one further person; more weren't allowed yesterday.

Meat: From a 2.4 kg duck one of the two breasts, 2 medium de-boned chicken thighs (all skin on), 4 small pork neck steaks (we ate 3).

About 200-250 grams meat per person.

A good handful brown champignons, one small bunch garlic stems.

Made pizza in a normal oven with grill and pizza stone method. Used cold fermented dough that I fermented in the fridge for 4 days! Tastes great. Here's one I made earlier. Not very good at the shaping yet  - it was supposed to be circular.

pizza.jpg.142d9a3a5aae642f026d1b895c6aa1

2 hours ago, clickety6 said:

Not very good at the shaping yet  - it was supposed to be circular.

No worries, your stomach doesn't care 👍.