What are you cooking today?

4,326 posts in this topic

Thanks for the correction. I haven't bought it yet. Waffle iron should arrive tomorrow.

Don't remember seeing Röstiteig. Is it in the shop along with Klossteig?

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Thanks for the correction. I haven't bought it yet. Waffle iron should arrive tomorrow.

Yep. Same area.

Today, I made a beef burger with melted manchego cheese, red onion, tomato, pickle and baked potato. Shashlik sauce.

It was on sale in my local Edeka. I take whatever I have in the fridge. Next time, I will try Old Amsterdam with the burger. I have that all the time. 

Tell you what cheese I was unexpectedly happy with today - an Irish 'cheddar' from Penny, which was 1,99 for 250g, good price, aged for 12 months and tasted absolutely OK. Not like the crystalline ones, but really OK. So much better than Kerrygold which is sad and disappointing.

Don't know about you guys, but around here 'free to take' boxes are very common, and that is how we acquired an apparently unused large non-stick quiche pan still in the box, with a little recipe book included. We use it at least once a month.

Tonight we had a (grated) pumpkin and leek quiche (also a small onion, a garlic clove and a handful of lemonbalm from the garden). Bit of emmentaler on top. Delicious. We used muskat pumpkin, soft, sweet, great colour. (I am not a huge fan of the ubiquitous Hokkaido pumpkins, whose flesh is often too hard, but any will do). Our lemonbalm bought last year ago exploded in size this summer, and the cold has still not harmed it. Gives a nice mellow lemony flavour in the background, without any sour. We also use it a lot in our salads.

Miso soup and brown rice!

I alwys slightly dry roast the brown rice in in the pot until it smells toasty, then prepare. A pressure cooker cuts cooking time to about 20 minutes.

5fbefb62c3300_Applepie2112520.JPG.2fb50c

Apple pie for tomorrow. Embarrassing confession - had to make the crust twice, because I shorted the shortening (lard) by 50%. 

Apple pie with ice cream and custard- double yummy!

I will be making apple struedl tomorrow- using filo pastry, lots of sultanas with Apple mix.  And vanilla ice cream.

On November 22, 2020 at 4:28:56 PM, snowingagain said:

We had roast hokkaido today, I like them particularly as no need to peel.  

Love Hokkaido , so easy, and cooks with peel.

On November 22, 2020 at 5:28:21 AM, fraufruit said:

How did the waffl iron perform?!