What are you cooking today?

4,176 posts in this topic

Vegan fried eggs and baked beans on toast.

Its not a gross as it sounds, and I'm not a vegan by choice, I've been hit with a mystery allergy or ailment in the last three months that's using my pancreas as a punch bag, so no animal protein for a while.

I can recommend the vegan eggs though, I've perfected the yolk but I'm still working on the whites, the beans and toast are regular bread and baked beans.

if anyone is interested I can hand over the recipe for the yolks, it works pretty well as a dip too for falafel or...  you know, whatever.

11 hours ago, DaringD said:

Vegan fried eggs and baked beans on toast.

Its not a gross as it sounds, and I'm not a vegan by choice, I've been hit with a mystery allergy or ailment in the last three months that's using my pancreas as a punch bag, so no animal protein for a while.

I can recommend the vegan eggs though, I've perfected the yolk but I'm still working on the whites, the beans and toast are regular bread and baked beans.

if anyone is interested I can hand over the recipe for the yolks, it works pretty well as a dip too for falafel or...  you know, whatever.

What are vegan eggs made from? Is it a DIY thing, or from a container? To date, I have not been much impressed by vegan alternatives... my wife is forever-vegetarian (luckily eggs and dairy are OK), so we're open to trying these products.

We recently tried the "sensational burger" from Garden Gourmet (Nestlé!) made mostly of soy protein. Supposed to be more "meat like" in texture, taste and appearance. It's a pinkish granular patty in approximation of ground beef. Meh. Made a truly god awful metallic liver stench as it hit the pan, and then it cooked funny... blackened too soon even on med-high heat, and wanted to stick even on or good non-stick pan. No mistaking that it was a veggie burger, but it tasted OK. I bought it on sale and definitely wouldn't pay full price. Homemade dinkel bratlinge or falafel in patty form are better, IMO.

Regardless, I hope things improve health-wise! Health scares have a funny way of shifting attitudes and tastes pretty quickly. 

@DaringD can you post your vegan fried eggs recipe please. I'd be interested - and I guess a few other vegans who are still in the closet might like it too. ;)

Tried the Impossible Burger, it was weird, very meat-like once in a bun with salad, etc.  Downside was it smelled pretty nasty while cooking.   Silken tofu scrambled eggs with sulphur salt and nutritional yeast is not my favourite, but it is okay.  Anyone here tried the REWE insect burgers yet?

35 minutes ago, Jonny said:

@DaringD can you post your vegan fried eggs recipe please. I'd be interested - and I guess a few other vegans who are still in the closet might like it too. ;)

Sure thing

The bas I got from an online recipe, but I did move away form it as I found it to be a bit weird.

250 ml of cooked, pureed pumpkin - about half a crystal ball sized pumpkin (I cook it for about 15 mins so it's nearly falling apart and then belnd it  until its completely free of lumps, you can add a little water to help the blend, but no too much, maybe a tablespoon)

45ml  olive oil

45ml plant milk of your choice - I use almond milk

25g corn starch/flour

10g - 12g of Kala namak (sulphur or black salt)

I whip this up until it's the consistency of of ketchup and stick it in the fridge, it seems to last for just over a week, you could freeze it too if you want.

As for whites, I currently use a mixture of

60ml plant milk

60ml plant yogurt

40g rice flour

Though I really don't like it, it's nothing like normal white so I'm experimenting with other things until I get something I like.

That should do four eggs, you just pout it into the pan when its hot and leave it until its starting to lose its shine, then I take a teaspoon that I dipped in oil and scoop about one and a half of them into the middle of each one, I let this sit on a medium heat covered for about 2 minutes, enough to warm the yolks and crisp up the edges of the whites.

the yolk doesn't develop a membrane, so if you put beans on top or something, it will squidge out, just keep that in mind.

I find that they don't really taste exactly like eggs, but they do the same job, if that makes sense, don't go expecting this to slip down just like its egg because you'll be disappointed, but I think if you go into it expecting an egg alternative you'll be ok with it. Its like getting out of a Ford Mondeo you've driven all of your life and into an Opel Astra of the same year, it's all a bit different but it does the same thing.

This recipe will give you yolks that are pretty salty and sulphury, if you want to you can reduce the amount of Kala Namak, but play around, if you come up with anything cool I'd love to know,

D

35 minutes ago, Jonny said:

1 hour ago, alderhill said:

What are vegan eggs made from?

here we go

The bas I got from an online recipe, but I did move away form it as I found it to be a bit weird.

250 ml of cooked, pureed pumpkin - about half a crystal ball sized pumpkin (I cook it for about 15 mins so it's nearly falling apart and then belnd it  until its completely free of lumps, you can add a little water to help the blend, but no too much, maybe a tablespoon)

45ml  olive oil

45ml plant milk of your choice - I use almond milk

25g corn starch/flour

10g - 12g of Kala namak (sulphur or black salt)

I whip this up until it's the consistency of of ketchup and stick it in the fridge, it seems to last for just over a week, you could freeze it too if you want.

As for whites, I currently use a mixture of

60ml plant milk

60ml plant yogurt

40g rice flour

Though I really don't like it, it's nothing like normal white so I'm experimenting with other things until I get something I like.

That should do four eggs, you just pout it into the pan when its hot and leave it until its starting to lose its shine, then I take a teaspoon that I dipped in oil and scoop about one and a half of them into the middle of each one, I let this sit on a medium heat covered for about 2 minutes, enough to warm the yolks and crisp up the edges of the whites.

the yolk doesn't develop a membrane, so if you put beans on top or something, it will squidge out, just keep that in mind.

I find that they don't really taste exactly like eggs, but they do the same job, if that makes sense, don't go expecting this to slip down just like its egg because you'll be disappointed, but I think if you go into it expecting an egg alternative you'll be ok with it. Its like getting out of a Ford Mondeo you've driven all of your life and into an Opel Astra of the same year, it's all a bit different but it does the same thing.

This recipe will give you yolks that are pretty salty and sulphury, if you want to you can reduce the amount of Kala Namak, but play around, if you come up with anything cool I'd love to know,

D

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Anyone here tried the REWE insect burgers yet?

Funny you should ask, I have a pack in the freezer waiting for kid#1, who is theoretically very pro insect protein, to try.

Covid has kept her in the UK since last Christmas, and now one of her flatmates has actual Covid (he is a doctor on a Covid ward) who knows when she'll get back over....hey ho.

The rest of us are not queuing up to give it a try, I must say :lol:.

26 minutes ago, DaringD said:

Kala namak (sulphur or black salt)

Ha! Have some of that in the pantry, bought on offer - finally a use for it - the only time I tried it they all complained it smelled of rotten eggs!

Sorry- but the vegan eggs sound very unappetising!  It seems a lot of work to create something that resembles an egg, without the taste and nutrition of eggs.  I eat much less meat( fish and eggs  for me)  these days, and get extra protein from  beans like chickpeas,  protein smoothies etc.  

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Sorry- but the vegan eggs sound very unappetising!  It seems a lot of work to create something that resembles an egg, without the taste and nutrition of eggs.

On the bright side they are nice, and though they don't have the protein, they also don't have the cholesterol of eggs, so you could eat a dozen of these a day and not have to worry about that, the mix will do about about 24 yolks, for three table spoons of olive oil, you could even cut that down to two I suspect without too much of a problem, but it's a nice way to have something that feels naughty but isn't, especially if you're in the position I am of finding myself an involuntary vegan.

14 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Anyone here tried the REWE insect burgers yet?

No, I'm not sure if I can eat that, but I have used cricket flour before now and had insect pasta too, I'm not that grossed out by it, I've always suspected that if ants were giant they would taste great, Imagine cracking open a leg that's been propped beside the fire for 20 minutes and scooping out the meat, it'd be a bit like lobster I guess, but probably tougher.

Also, contrary to common belief, if ants were the size of us, they wouldn't be amazingly strong, that would collapse under their own weight, strength doesn't scale up very well, just in case anyone was hypothetically scared of my hypothetical giant ants.

7 hours ago, DaringD said:

just in case anyone was hypothetically scared of my hypothetical giant ants.

:lol:

Made a big batch of goulash, for tomorrow and freezer. Used pork, smoked paprika, tin of tomatoes, chilli , red peppers, onions, tarragon and sage, caraway seeds, beef stock.  Will serve with noodles and dish of sliced gherkins, and a dish of sour cream.

Nachspeise- ice cream of choice.

Simple salsa

5 garlic cloves

1 onion  (pre-sliced in quarters) 

2 jalapenos  (pre-slice, leave seeds in for more spice, exclude for less spice)

6 tomatoes  (pre-sliced in quarters)

1.5 cups cilantro  (pre-chopped) 

1.5 teaspoon salt  

2 teaspoon cumin  

1 squeezed lime juice

a pinch of love  (this is VERY important!)  

In a blender, combine garlic, onion and jalapeno, give it a few pulses.

Add tomatoes, cilantro, squeeze lime juice in, add cumin & salt, pulse a few times, keep it chunky, don't let it get mushy

pre-taste, stir..  add more cumin and salt if needed, 

Add more love as needed.

Sauté in a pan until the sauce takes on a 'reddish' look, serve while warm.

Use chips or celery or whatever you want to dip with  (please don't use your fingers!)  unless you are a single lonely person who has no friends)

I'm a big fan of cumin. A good way to start a pot roast is to lavishly rub the meat all over with half kosher salt and half ground cumin: sear on all sides and then braise as you'd usually do. I expect you could do the same with roast beef or roast pork, or with fowl.

4 minutes ago, katheliz said:

I'm a big fan of cumin. 

a cumin/lard combo make all the difference when making an awesome carne guisada recipe.  such an easy additive, yet elusive to so many.

8 hours ago, katheliz said:

I'm a big fan of cumin. A good way to start a pot roast is to lavishly rub the meat all over with half kosher salt and half ground cumin: sear on all sides and then braise as you'd usually do. I expect you could do the same with roast beef or roast pork, or with fowl.

On 14.8.2020, 20:19:49, Sannerl said:

Never understood the allure of Kosher salt, is it somehow saltier than normal salt? 
Anyway kosher or not, my favorite at the moment is to slice and big dice pumpkin, leek, onion, celery, carrots and anything else I can find that is not quite compost mix it in a bowl with tomato sauce, pesto and a few lashes of soysauce and bake under cheese.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Never understood the allure of Kosher salt, is it somehow saltier than normal salt?

In a way, it is...

It's the kind of salt you use to draw out the last remains of blood of a piece of meat to make it kosher. In that case, you remove it afterwards afaik.

It's neither coarse nor extra fine - just the kind you usually put into your salt shaker.

Since it dissolves faster than coarse salt, the same amount would taste saltier at the first moment.

But you need much less to cover something evenly with a thin layer of salt. And it's easier to rub any amount in.

No description available.

Short ribs braised in Malaga Dulce, preiselbeere sauce, rosemary, sage, and garlic. Roasting at 100 degrees for the rest of the day because good food is self-care.

9 hours ago, slammer said:

It's actually less salty than table salt, and that has something to do with its crystalline structure, I think. As far as I'm concerned, salt's salt; but this is an Alton Brown technique, and he uses kosher salt.

I had to do the google, seems that kosher salt is "flakier" if that can be applied to salt and there is no iodine added to it. However it may not be the best choice in south Germany, as well as parts of Austria and CH where people tend to suffer from iodine deficiency.

7 minutes ago, slammer said:

do the google, 

Haha..  there should be a new dance for doing the google.  I propose this one for the slow googlers..  despacito