What are you cooking today?

4,061 posts in this topic

Middle East and Indian mix today:

Lebanese sesame chicken, mutabbal, raita and garlic naan.

Should be decent.

Beef Stroganov- with beef strips, onions, garlic, pepper, mushrooms, paprika and sour cream.   Noodles and salad.

Dessert- baked nectarines- cut in half, place in buttered dish, add a dab of butter to each, plus a swish of masala or sherry, plus cinnamon and chopped nuts.

Bake for about 15 mins at medium heat- I use a toaster oven. Vanilla ice cream completes this dish- thanks Delia Smith!

Avocadoes on sale, so here is my guacamole:

- 2 ripe avocadoes

- 1 medium-sized tomato

- 1/2 red onion

- 1/2 lemon/lime

- 1 garlic clove

- 1 green chili pepper (optional)

- 1 ts of natural yoghurt

- fresh coriander

- salt/pepper

Remove the flesh from the tomatoes and cut the rest into small cubes. Cut the onion, garlic and optional chili pepper into small pieces. Cut the fresh coriander small. Put the flesh of the avocadoes into a bowl and add the tomato cubes, onion, garlic and chili. Mix it well. Sprinkle the juice of the lemon/lime and add the yoghurt to make it creamy. Use another spoon of yoghurt if necessary. Add the fresh coriander, then salt and pepper to one’s liking. Mix it well again. Goes well with tortilla crisps or crackers.

Must use broccoli- so an Auflauf.  Lightly steam the greenies, place in dish . Sauté chopped ham , onions and mushrooms, season with paprika, garlic and herbs of choice, and mix into greenies. Make a Bechamel/ white sauce, and stir in grated cheese of choice. I use cheddar and Parmesan. 

Pour over dish, then sprinkle more grated cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Cook for about 30 minutes at 350F/ 180C.

Chinese - three dishes: pork belly, squid, green beans. I'll post the recipes if it's worth it. ;)

On 21.6.2020, 15:35:00, Sannerl said:

Chinese - three dishes: pork belly, squid, green beans. I'll post the recipes if it's worth it. ;)

I was at your place for dinner and had the pork belly (surprisingly good) and squid. Do post the recipe, please. :-)

15 minutes ago, Metall said:

I was at your place for dinner and had the pork belly (surprisingly good) and squid. Do post the recipe, please. :-)

You make it sound like you broke in after she went to bed.  Like, cool if you did.  But maybe a bit weird.

Edit  Very weird.  Also, were there a lot of people there?  Or was she off her head on something that you have to explain to her that you were there?  Gosh, my life is so dull.  And why was it "surprisingly" good?  Is she normally a lousy cook.?

Sorry @Metall Very bored at the moment.

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

You make it sound like you broke in after she went to bed.  Like, cool if you did.  But maybe a bit weird.

Edit  Very weird

What else? ;)

7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Edit  Very weird.  Also, were there a lot of people there?  Or was she off her head on something that you have to explain to her that you were there?  Gosh, my life is so dull.  And why was it "surprisingly" good?  Is she normally a lousy cook.?

3 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

What else? ;)

I'm a Chinese food burglar!

14 minutes ago, Metall said:

Let's see -

Pork belly: about 1 kg of organic pork belly (skin on), 1-1.5 kg potatoes, soy sauce, sugar, one onion, Sherry (medium dry), 1-2 gloves garlic.

Cut up the pork belly into cubes (about 5 cm) and put the cubes in cold water for 1/2 to one hour.

Cook the belly with 2-3 Tbs soy sauce, the same amount of sugar, a little water and the onion and garlic cut into strips until tender.

Do the same (with the same proportions of soy sauce and sugar) with the peeled and cut into halves quartered potatoes. Add the juices from the pork belly, too.

Reduce the resulting sauce until syrupy. Mix everything and serve with rice.

28 minutes ago, Metall said:

Squid: Clean and wash about 250 grams of squid tubes. Cut them into strips lengthwise. Mix them with 1/4 ts of baking soda. Let them stand for about 1 hour.

Rinse and drain. Cover them with boiling water and let them stand for 30 seconds. Rinse under cold water, drain and dry thoroughly.

Julienne one thumb of ginger. Cut 3 spring onions into 2 cm length.

Heat up 2 Tbs of vegetable oil, add the squid, stir-fry for 5 seconds, add the onions and ginger, a pinch of sugar and finally a dash of Sherry. Stir and serve.

I used garlic stems instead of spring onions, no sugar since they are pretty sweet, and added one julienned fresh Habanero.

31 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Metall had invited us over for a Bbq on short notice. I had to decline because I already had thawed out said pork belly and squids.

Instead, I invited Metall over to our place. Plus another friend who works nearby.

I thought I overcooked the pork belly, that's why "surprisingly good" since it "settled" and was firm enough again to eat it with chopsticks.

And no, I'm not a lousy cook. :D

And it was a really nice, feucht-fröhlicher Abend.

FYI - at Lidl you get fresh Coconuts for cheap. Best thing in my opinion during this hot weather

IMG_2737 (450 x 600).jpg

was lucky to get to know the north of Germany during the last week. Close to the Island Femahrn there is a little village where they bake bread in a original old oven. It's obviously a tourist attraction but I really liked it because it is still authentic, Mühlenstraße 8, 23974 Boiensdorf -  http://www.muehlenverein-stove.de/Backen/backen.html

I think you can even learn how to bake there.

bake (255 x 335).jpg

here some more pictures of this place. had no clue that the north of Germany can be so pretty

bake2 (261 x 353).jpg

35 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Salad Nicoise. Love tuna, but leave out the anchovies.

I like anchovies but have problems here finding good ones.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Some in the jars taste rancid, and are not cheap. In London could get good ones, also France.  Aldi do some assorted anchovies, plain or wrapped round capers, and others that taste good.  Edeka and Rewe ones where I am are nasty.

On 03/07/2020, 18:38:38, snowingagain said:

I like anchovies but have problems here finding good ones.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Some in the jars taste rancid, and are not cheap. In London could get good ones, also France.  Aldi do some assorted anchovies, plain or wrapped round capers, and others that taste good.  Edeka and Rewe ones where I am are nasty.

Your local Turkish supermarket (Eurogida et al) likely have frozen whole or filleted anchovies. Any decent Italian/Spanish/Greek deli will have them packed in oil or vinegar. Forget the chain supermarkets.

9 hours ago, sobyrne said:

Forget the chain supermarkets.

Weirdly though, Aldi do occasionally have jars of anchovies in olive oil that are pretty good.  But you are right, most taste sour or near rancid.