What are you cooking today?

4,042 posts in this topic

Tuna noodle casserole

start boiling half a 500g package of egg noodles; don't forget to salt the crap out of the water

400 grams of white mushrooms - quarter and sautee in butter and oil; let them cook down a LOT; I added salt and pepper and garlic powder because why not?

add 1 package of Knorr mushroom soup mix to the mushrooms.  I think it was Waldpilz.  Also add 500 ml water like it says on the package.  Scrape the bottom of the pan.

bring the soup/mushrooms to a boil and let it simmer to reduce (or add 400 ml water in the first place I guess).  I added a nice amount of Parmesan to help with the thickening. 

drain 2 cans of tuna (I use tuna packed in water)

remove from heat and combine the noodles, soup mix/mushrooms, and tuna.

optionally add Röstzwiebel and/or frozen peas (add the peas in with the pasta when it's 1/2 way done)

23 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

add 1 package of Knorr mushroom soup mix to the mushrooms.  I think it was Waldpilz.  Also add 500 ml water like it says on the package.  Scrape the bottom of the pan.

Every time I read "mushroom soup", this comes to mind (German):

Lead up:

My next-door neighbor, after letting the common fence deteriorate, is finally replacing a 50-foot length, some of which has collapsed because of a tree he let grow next to it. The thing has roots like pythons reaching into my yard.

So last night I baked a banana nut loaf for him and his wife. I eyeballed increases to the recipe based on using three bananas instead of two, so it's a sizable hunk of bread. I wish I were eating it instead, but I want to encourage him to keep on until the job is finished - he's such a procrastinator.

Currently have a tomato and chickpea curry on the hob and a banana fruitcake loaf in the oven :) ( not sure how the curry will turn out as I've run out of Tumeric)

Salmon from the freezer, sauté with spices,  plus buttered carrots,   sweet potato fries.  Also have a pot of Broccoli soup (plus other wilted veggies) on simmer for tomorrow. Will blend  and add some cream- luxury touch in Ration time!

On 4/2/2020, 6:43:38, Missysx said:

( not sure how the curry will turn out as I've run out of Tumeric)

Please drop the other shoe and tell us how the curry turned out. :) 

I think I'd rather run out of turmeric than run out of fenugreek.

16 hours ago, katheliz said:

Please drop the other shoe and tell us how the curry turned out. :) 

I think I'd rather run out of turmeric than run out of fenugreek.

family didn't notice any difference :blink:

REUBEN SANDWICH

INGREDIENTS

• American Sandwichbrot -- couldn't find rye but whole wheat is fine; put some whole Kümmel (Caraway seed) on the bread if you like that awful stuff
  • mild white wine vinegar sauerkraut, all the liquid pressed out
  • Bergkäse -- something smelly enough to stand up to the sauerkraut
  • pastrami (couldn't find conred beef, so sue me)  "Österreichicsche Alpenküche" brand is often available at my Edeka these days
  • alternative to pastrami: Rewe often has "rosa gebratenes Rostbeef;" this would result in a Rachel sandwich -- also delicious
  • ketchup
  • mayo
  • pickles
  • butter

PROCEDURE

• non-stick skillet on medium-high heat
  • put a bread-shaped pile of DRY sauerkrat in the skillet towards the side; put a slice of cheese over it.
  • melt butter in the rest of the skillet.  Sop up the butter with 2 slices of bread and start grilling the buttered sides of the bread.
  • when the bread is nearly ready and the cheese is melty, move the sauerkraut and cheese to the unbuttered side of one of the slices.  It will fall apart, but that's ok.  It doesn't have to look pretty.  Just try to make it as even as possible.
  • move both bread slices to your plate
  • arrange the pastrami evenly over the cheese and kraut.  No, don't cook the meat; all you'll do is dry it out.  If you're using the roast beef it would no longer be beautifully rare, and you would be The Worst Person Ever. 
  • in a small bowl mix ketchup/mayo 50/50 and grate a pickle into it.
  • apply the 1000 island dressing you just made to the remaining slice of bread. 
  • ASSEMBLE!
  • put a pickle spear on the side unless you are a pinko commie
  • have a napkin ready as your hands will be greasy from the grilled bread. 

I made salad plates for lunch today.

So mein noodles with lemon, tahini, soy dressing

Cucumber radish salad with sour cream horseradish dressing

Mushrooms and chickpeas cooked, cooled, and marinated in ginger sesame sauce

Arugula and asparagus salad with balsamico creme

Cole slaw 

I arranged it on a plate,  crumbled feta over it, and served.

Enough left for tomorrow's lunch by a long shot.

5 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

REUBEN SANDWICH

INGREDIENTS

• American Sandwichbrot -- couldn't find rye but whole wheat is fine; put some whole Kümmel (Caraway seed) on the bread if you like that awful stuff
  • mild white wine vinegar sauerkraut, all the liquid pressed out
  • Bergkäse -- something smelly enough to stand up to the sauerkraut
  • pastrami (couldn't find conred beef, so sue me)  "Österreichicsche Alpenküche" brand is often available at my Edeka these days
  • alternative to pastrami: Rewe often has "rosa gebratenes Rostbeef;" this would result in a Rachel sandwich -- also delicious
  • ketchup
  • mayo
  • pickles
  • butter

PROCEDURE

• non-stick skillet on medium-high heat
  • put a bread-shaped pile of DRY sauerkrat in the skillet towards the side; put a slice of cheese over it.
  • melt butter in the rest of the skillet.  Sop up the butter with 2 slices of bread and start grilling the buttered sides of the bread.
  • when the bread is nearly ready and the cheese is melty, move the sauerkraut and cheese to the unbuttered side of one of the slices.  It will fall apart, but that's ok.  It doesn't have to look pretty.  Just try to make it as even as possible.
  • move both bread slices to your plate
  • arrange the pastrami evenly over the cheese and kraut.  No, don't cook the meat; all you'll do is dry it out.  If you're using the roast beef it would no longer be beautifully rare, and you would be The Worst Person Ever. 
  • in a small bowl mix ketchup/mayo 50/50 and grate a pickle into it.
  • apply the 1000 island dressing you just made to the remaining slice of bread. 
  • ASSEMBLE!
  • put a pickle spear on the side unless you are a pinko commie
  • have a napkin ready as your hands will be greasy from the grilled bread. 

Looks good but is no way a Reuben sandwich. Have to go to the U.S. for that.

8 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@fraufruit If it's not exactly a Reuben, does that mean it's reubenesque? :lol::lol::lol:

No - but if one eats enough of those,...

8 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I'll see myself out.

Hold the door!

today's dinner was homemade vegan lasagne cooked for 7 hours in the slow cooker with a side of potato wedges spiced with a sprinkle of jerk seasoning and store brought garlic bread.

@Sannerl 

Yup. I just bring in a diagram and they can usually figure out what part I want. I’ve had no luck on getting good Chuck steak, though. It’s apparently Bug, but it still doesn’t taste the same because it usually is aged a bit. 

I made Schnitzel Wiener Art with Jumbo Fries (Lidl) & Buttergemüse (either Lidl or Aldi).  The raw meat came from EDEKA.

All got eaten.

Mince pies !

Clearing out the cupboards brought a jar to light.

So made some pastry and had some non seasonal treats with the coffee this afternoon.