What are you cooking today?

4,040 posts in this topic

On 21.3.2020, 15:18:58, CincyInDE said:

are they black yet?  They need to be just about if not completely black.

Well, our Lidl has started a shelf by the tills with half price stuff, and I bought some bananas (week ago? two? not sure) and forgottem.  

Having secretly peeled off the mouldy skins - way past black - the dead-cat insides were super easy to mash and I am proud to say that we have just had the most delicious banana bread from the recipe in cincy's post above, and I got to use up the rest of some buttermilk from when we had cornbread and some yoghurt scrapings, as well as the mouldy bananas - thrifty housewife, me. And I cooked it in our amazing holzofen which was burning wood to warm us up anyway, so win, win.

Thank you cincy for the great recipe.

Oh, I forgot to remove the insect life from the flour this time, and couldn't find a sieve and had to use one of those weird flour sifting devices, and only noticed the broken animal bodies a bit too late. Hey ho. And I used some brown sugar which had gone oddly melty in the bottom of the bag. 

And yet it still tastes brilliant, so if that's not a recommendation, I don't know what is. This 'going through the pantry to see what we might need to hamster' thing is working out great!! :)

The reason I like that recipe is because it has such a small amount of flour.  Less bready; more banana-y. 

I have a paper bag full of bananas that are going to be ready in a day or two... :)

So today I have made Veg Stew in the slow cooker and homemade wholemeal bread

My veggie stew- assorted chopped veggies,  wrinkled tomatoes ( soaked and peeled), sweet potatoes, tin of chick peas,(drained and rinsed), stock, seasoning, and then mashed  a couple of spoons of veggies to thicken,

Had some whole-wheat rolls in the freezer.

Yellow peas curry!

Remember my visit to the (stripped bare) Metro last week? I took along a large bag of yellow peas, the last bag of anything in the beans and rice shelves, and a large can of tomatoes. Nicely spiced up with frozen habaneros from last year's balcony crop, served on basmati rice from the Turkish store. We good. :)

(I'm pretending I'm on a boat equipped with phone and Internet, it's kind of fun.)

Do what you must, @kiplette!

I went out to the garage pantry this afternoon to take stock, because I might need to buy flour. Happily, there was a 5 lb sack of flour and a 4 lb sack of sugar. That was a relief, because stores here in the US are short of both. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us that the spate of buying will calm down in a month or so.

On topic, I made chiles rellenos for supper. They were very tasty - I added a couple sprinkles of ground chipotle pepper.

Mr Metall taught himself to bake German style bread! Classic Mischbrot (mixed wheat and rye), very good. :)

Pizza. Yes, we have flour and yeast. And lots of Mozzarella, tomatoes, the works.

I used too much water, but the dough looks lovely. 1-2 grams per pound of flour are enough.

7 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Pizza. Yes, we have flour and yeast. And lots of Mozzarella, tomatoes, the works.

I used too much water, but the dough looks lovely. 1-2 grams per pound of flour are enough.

Pretty good! I made pizza margherita.

From  @sarabyrd

Image may contain: food

'Today's fine (checks ingredients) vegan food: Marinated pan-fried asparagus with fried potatoes and zucchini topped with pan-fried cherry tomatoes and pan-fried Pugliese bread - all done with olive oil. It may sound greasy, but you drain the asparagus after frying and parboil and drain the vegetables before frying them in a mix of a small amount of olive oil and margarine.'

On 28/03/2020, 18:28:50, Sannerl said:

Pretty good! I made pizza margherita.

If you didn't have the items to make the pizza base, you can use Pitta Bread instead.. good size for individual ones.

Today's Dinner was Gammon cooked with Maple syrup and rosemary in the slow cooker, with roasted Potatoes, Parsnips and carrots.

Also earlier this week I made Grapefruit Jam and pickled courgettes to use up items that would have gone out of date.

On 22/3/2020 2:09:04, Sannerl said:

Don't throw away the seeds - they are edible. Spicy.

what do you mean? you can eat them?

On 29/3/2020 20:54:22, Missysx said:

Today's Dinner was Gammon cooked with Maple syrup and rosemary in the slow cooker, with roasted Potatoes, Parsnips and carrots.

Also earlier this week I made Grapefruit Jam and pickled courgettes to use up items that would have gone out of date.

post some pictures...

On 22/3/2020 2:09:04, Sannerl said:

Don't throw away the seeds - they are edible. Spicy.

what do you mean? you can eat them?

Today was Hamburger Massacre time

You dont even need a Burger Bun but just a very nice Baguetta, cut two slices, toast them

- Feldsalat

- Jalapenos

- fried onion

- also slice onions and fry them, add some honey while frying = caramelized onions

- some burger sauce

- of course some small burger patties

- tomatoes

- mini mozarella cheese

It's a sin but just soooooo good!

P.S. tried to upload the picture but did not work, saved it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hbel5hycnmkppw/burger.jpg?dl=0

weird, can somebody tell me how I make a picture that small so I can upload

Tagliatelle with chicken livers and fresh bell pepper, onions, garlic, tomatoes,...

A little bit of self-cured pork fat is involved, too.

I made a large batch of the ragù and will freeze half of it.