What are you cooking today?

4,035 posts in this topic

@Metall Haha! No, I described it wrong. It puffs like it should. You know, makes the bubbles, but it doesn't tear properly when it's cooked. It stays soft inside. Maybe I'm just not rolling it thin enough?

Yeah, thinner, cook at slightly lower temparature. Sounds like you need higher gluten flour, and also let it rise well.

Tuna fish cakes- leftover mash, drained tin tuna, spring onions chopped, seasoning, egg. 

Mix well, form cakes,  roll in breadcrumbs , chill for 1/2 hour.

I usually fry quickly in oil, but can also bake in oven- 20 minutes.

Served with horseradish sauce, and salad.

Leftovers from the best Chinese restaurant in town! Dim sum, seaweed salad, pork and veggies, good rice.

On 28/02/2020, 22:30:01, Metall said:

Leftovers from the best Chinese restaurant in town! Dim sum, seaweed salad, pork and veggies, good rice.

in Munich? which restaurant?

2 hours ago, Lotzo said:

http://www.yanyou.de/

Open every day from 11:30 am to 3 pm and 5:30 pm to 11 pm.

The Chinese dishes (with a "C" in front of the number) are out of this world.

There's also a menu in Chinese, but most of the dishes are on the regular menu now except for the brand-new ones. Just ask what's new.

Weekdays, they also offer lunch for 6 Euro per plate; no refill!, but large plates.

Help yourselves from a small warm buffet.

That's more Vietnamese-ish, but not bad at all, either.

I recommend to book your seats in advance if you plan to go there with a party of more than three because it often is pretty crowded.

If you plan to go there spontaneously with less people, you may have to wait a few minutes. But it's worth it.

2 hours ago, Sannerl said:

http://www.yanyou.de/

Open every day from 11:30 am to 3 pm and 5:30 pm to 11 pm.

The Chinese dishes (with a "C" in front of the number) are out of this world.

There's also a menu in Chinese, but most of the dishes are on the regular menu now except for the brand-new ones. Just ask what's new.

Weekdays, they also offer lunch for 6 Euro per plate; no refill!, but large plates.

Help yourselves from a small warm buffet.

That's more Vietnamese-ish, but not bad at all, either.

I recommend to book your seats in advance if you plan to go there with a party of more than three because it often is pretty crowded.

If you plan to go there spontaneously with less people, you may have to wait a few minutes. But it's worth it.

On 28/02/2020, 22:30:01, Metall said:

Thanks alot for the info I will try it

2 hours ago, Lotzo said:

Thanks alot for the info I will try it

Why don't you join us? Send me a PM. :)

37 minutes ago, Metall said:

Why don't you join us? Send me a PM. :)

Yes please!

Just fish & simple: buy a whole fish, e. A dorade. Ask them to clean it and cut it in half so you can fold it up like a book. Now preheat your oven (Ober unter Hitze) to 190 degrees. In a pan or whatever heat proofed thing you have you put now some olive oil, sliced raw potatoes (yes we German like our Kartoffeln) and onions. Add some salt and pepper and if you like it hot some chilis and also some tomatoes. The. Put the whole fish on top and put on the fish also tomatoes sauce for. Fresh tomatoes (not too much), garlic if you like, Petersilie and very important lots of lime (Zitrone). Leave it in the oven 15-20 min. Done

1285298E-F706-42D1-92D6-71E0440CB89A.jpeg

MY Quick lentil soup: chop onions, garlic, carrots and spinach, and some chopped potatoes, sauté in oil till softened.  Season- with pepper,  touch of chili powder,  and stir in some beef or veggie stock. Then drain and rinse a tin of brown lentils, and add to this. Add as much  chopped fresh herbs as you like. Simmer for 1/2 hour. If you want to thicken this- remove a cup of soup and blend, then return to soup. Check for flavour, and either chop Wieners and add to soup, or serve them on the side.

I’ve never baked much though this New York cheesecake turned out brilliantly...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/new-york-cheesecake

A few tweaks...I only added 150g brown caster sugar (just used a small electric grinder to make normal brown sugar finer) to the cheese mix instead of 250g.  No extra sugar added to the biscuit base.  1 teaspoon extra lemon rind and juice. The recipe is a bit confusing re adding the sour cream.  I mistakenly added 284ml instead of 200ml so added an extra teaspoon of flour. Didn’t bother with the topping. Turned out great!  

Just a small chuckle for today:  from a famous author whose emails pass by my desk. She's making fried mozzarella sandwiches, and the recipe starts:

"Make sandwiches out of the bread and mozzarella, leaving a little margin around the edges unfilled with cheese, and press the edges together with your fingers to help seal. (One of the advantages of plastic bread is that it is easily wodged together.)"

("plastic bread" meaning Toastbrot)

We got some fresh Semmelnknödeln, so my husband asked me to make Hungarian Goulash/Pörkölt. I have all the ingredients necessary, and it turned out yummy.

I ground some fresh turkey meat and made turkey burgers with lots of homemade exotic hot sauce (canned mango pulp cooked with cumin, garlic, salt, habaneros). Very good.

Have plenty of frozen and tinned veggies, so using up wilted fresh vegs.

Roast chicken carcass , and making chicken and rice soup. Spicy soup- almost Thai flavour.

Mother's Remedy.

reheating some beinscheibe with cheesy potato bake and roasting white asparagus and courgettes

the beinscheibe didn't turn out quite like osso bucco (it's a grown assed cow...not so tender) but the sauce - holy hell the sauce - basically you braise the shanks with nothing but wine, bay, garlic, carrot and onion.  I added tarragon and a healthy dose of tomato paste for fun.  Then when it's done after 4 or 5 hours, blitz the veg and thin as needed with stock.

the sauce is simply decadent.  SO good.  I plan to eat it on everything til it's gone :)

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

reheating some beinscheibe with cheesy potato bake and roasting white asparagus and courgettes

the beinscheibe didn't turn out quite like osso bucco (it's a grown assed cow...not so tender) but the sauce - holy hell the sauce - basically you braise the shanks with nothing but wine, bay, garlic, carrot and onion.  I added tarragon for fun.  Then when it's done after 4 or 5 hours, blitz the veg and thin as needed with stock.

the sauce is simply decadent.  SO good.  I plan to eat it on everything til it's gone :)

If this corona stuff goes on and restaurants go out of business for a while and we all become great cooks at home, then the restaurants will go out of business again!

:lol:

right?

I've been baking bread, making soup, eating better (and more healthily) than I have in ages.  Loving it.