What are you cooking today?

4,088 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, john g. said:

A friend of mine in Hamburg had Xmas dinner at his girlfriend‘s mother‘s house yesterday- turkey stuffed with rabbit! The mother is Russian. I have no idea if that is traditional there.😃

Crazy Russians, but what about a turducken? A chicken stuffed into a duck which is stuffed again in a turkey, also known as a three bird roast: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

I've ordered/cooked turduckens a few times in the U.S. They are delicious but are very difficult to carve. Just one big,yummy mess. The best ones come out of Louisiana and you can order what type of stuffing you want. Oh, they are huge.

22 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Crazy Russians, but what about a turducken? A chicken stuffed into a duck which is stuffed again in a turkey, also known as a three bird roast: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

"Duck season!" - "Wabbit season!" - "Duck season!" - "Wabbit season!"  - "Wabbit season!" - "Duck season!"

Chicken in blankets.. Pigs in Blankets.. Carrots in Blankets... a few onion rings servered on a bed of Bacon!

Lemon and pepper roast spuds and a generous serving of Chicken gravy..

Will probably have the same to tea too!

Normally I make a Turkey Roast, but this Christmas I am serving-

Smoked salmon in a rich creamy sauce, served with potatos and runner beans.

Roast chook yesterday. Today- slow roast beef fillet( low temperature), with garlic, onions tomatoes, beef covered with mustard, pepper, herbs.

Serve with mashed potatoes and a peppery sauce!

Trifle for dessert!

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Smoked salmon in a rich creamy sauce, served with potatos and runner beans.

I'm not a big fan of runner beans since it gives me the runs:  to pass waste from the body very frequently and in liquid rather than solid form. Bon appetit.

We had turkey etc at a Greek taverna. Then, back home, I fell asleep and dreamt for what seemed like an eternity I was raiding a cupboard for basmati rice, which I KNEW was in the cupboard.

But I couldn‘t find it and then I woke up😊.

I made oxtail stew to freeze for a surprise dinner for a special person that I won't have time to make later (since takes 6 hours) because I have plans and had a small portion to sample for dinner. It was delicious! For dessert, a couple pieces of Belgian chocolate that I gave myself for Christmas.

Here's the recipe I used to adapt my version of oxtail stew.  I added a small amount of cubed white potatoes. No red wine, flour, or leeks were used and I cooked mine on the stovetop instead of oven.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Genau. Weisswurst after 11:00 is illegal in Bavaria.

We are lawbreakers in my house.

I will give Metall the benefit of the doubt, also because it's X-Mas, but it's indeed illegal and can be reported to the Bavarian division of the Deutsche Hausfrauen Bund (yes, it exists) whose goal it is to keep up Bavarian tradition in households.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I will give Metall the benefit of the doubt, also because it's X-Mas, but it's indeed illegal and can be reported to the Bavarian division of the Deutsche Hausfrauen Bund (yes, it exists) whose goal it is to keep up Bavarian tradition in households.

Weißwürscht mustn't hear the "Mittagsläuten" because they feel ashamed then and blush... not kept cool after making, they do that really fast... don't ask...

Nowadays, it's interpreted as they have to be eaten before noon - on the other hand, it's always before noon or even 11 AM somewhere...

And "Weißwurschtbrotzeit" is a traditional both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve meal.

2 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

I made oxtail stew to freeze for a surprise dinner for a special person that I won't have time to make later (since takes 6 hours) because I have plans and had a small portion to sample for dinner. It was delicious! For dessert, a couple pieces of Belgian chocolate that I gave myself for Christmas.

Here's the recipe I used to adapt my version of oxtail stew.  I added a small amount of cubed white potatoes. No red wine, flour, or leeks were used and I cooked mine on the stovetop instead of oven.

I'll prepare this tomorrow: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sokkoritang

I assume the butcher at the Turkish supermarket gave me the thin parts for free because I volunteered to buy them, too...

Sannerl, your recipe looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing it.

Here's a Hong Kong style oxtail recipe I've made before and is really good. I still use her cooking method no matter what recipe I use for oxtails. In this recipe, she soaks them in cold h20 for an hour  then the the cook quickly boils the oxtails, pour the water off and I repeat the boil again and drain. This process actually helps clarify the stew/soup by removing blood and impurities. After I boil and rinse twice, I pat them dry with paper towel then Iightly braise the oxtails in oil to start the recipe.

Heres the recipe:

Oxtail Soup, Hong Kong Style Borscht

We had an eclectic menu of mushroom & spinach polenta, Italian soup, mashed red potatoes & salad; finishing off, as always, with cheesecake.

16 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I'm not a big fan of runner beans since it gives me the runs:  to pass waste from the body very frequently and in liquid rather than solid form. Bon appetit.

In the end I made peas instead :P