What are you cooking today?

3,629 posts in this topic

Lamb- yummy! Tomorrow lamb casserole - layers of onions, carrots and lamb chops, stock, and all covered by sliced potatoes. In oven for about 1 1/2 hours, covered, then uncover so potatoes can crisp.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Oooh! Himself is making stock today from the lamb bone and scraps. That recipe sounds perfect!

What oven temp?

I should have added- quickly fry the lamb chops before putting in casserole!  And dab some butter on potatoes when crisping!

Temp-350f/ 180c.  

Real comfort food- my mum's version of Irish stew.

today I will make an incredible Spaghetti Bolognese. Sounds basic but the secret is to really use the best meat and fresh tomatoes + fresh pasta (for example from Kaufhof). and I always add Sellerie and a bit Chili and red wine to reduce. You will love it!

ok this was born out of forcing myself to eat something - anything - as the appetite is waning, and I sure as heck don't want to cook when I'm not really hungry:  congee (made with roasted chicken carcass stock - delish) + nürnbergers + sauerkraut on top.

much much better than I guessed.  Asian inspired german food?  German restricted asian food?  This is the food I have in the fridge so I'll just eat it?  Whatever.  It's good!  I might even do it again on purpose :)

Am thinking pizza made from scratch tomorrow:

- Just made a dough with little yeast, will let it rise overnight on the chilly balcony

- Got my fresh tomato sauce - cook it down a bit more so it'll be pasty, not soupy

- Collect toppings - mozzarella, aged gouda, black olives, fresh peppers in strips, salami, garlic oil, basil oil. Maybe some chillies.

Tomorrow I will heat my cast iron pizza pan to nuclear temperatures and bake as quickly as possible. Will report back. :)

39 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

ok this was born out of forcing myself to eat something - anything - as the appetite is waning, and I sure as heck don't want to cook when I'm not really hungry:  congee (made with roasted chicken carcass stock - delish) + nürnbergers + sauerkraut on top.

Congee is a really tasty dish, a common Asian breakfast and nice way to use up leftover rice. The long cooking develops a mild sweetness and creamy consistency that goes with almost anything, as proved by lisa13. Recommended!

I'm cooking a super-exotic dish.  It's called lasagna.  I misoverestimated the number of lasagna noodles in the house, and I was only able to do 2 noodle layers whereas I'd normally do 3.  So this may end up being a "you have to eat it with some bread" sort of affair.  

32 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

So this may end up being a "you have to eat it with some bread" sort of affair.  

omg the horror!!!!

:)

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

omg the horror!!!!

:)

all we have are American sandwich slices.  it worked out without the bread, btw. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

58 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

I'm cooking a super-exotic dish.  It's called lasagna.  I misoverestimated the number of lasagna noodles in the house, and I was only able to do 2 noodle layers whereas I'd normally do 3.  So this may end up being a "you have to eat it with some bread" sort of affair.  

I've seen some places pass that off as "pizza"!:)

Autumn has very much crept in. Time for soothing food and soothing company.

I am taking the time today to nicely poach a nice chicken with nicely cut up veggies and herbs..

Chicken soup with the brown meat, leek and barley will be portioned off for the freezer. The remaining carcass, fresh veggies, garlic and herbs will blip overnight for chicken stock. 

A chicken breast will go into a chicken ceaser salad. Homemade stuffing and homemade sourxdough bread will accompany the second chicken breast for lunch during the week.

A french apple tart is in the oven. 

Stir fried chicken breast with veggies for me ( spicey! ) and pork chops ( non-spicey ) for dogs tomorrow.

The cats had to make do with roast chicken today. I‘ve run out of caviar. And they don´t want to wait till tomorrow...they came to the office to hassle me.

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_7972.JPG.cddab3db9af38ab8ac94058c680

Most weeks, I make a big pot of soup that lasts a few days. Better for us as fruit smoothies are too sugary and don't keep more than a day.  This one turned out really well...even my husband likes it! It's super warming on a cold day.

Roast for around 30 minutes...200C fan oven, until lightly browned, turning a few time, drizzled with a little olive oil...

Half a cauliflower, 2 parsnips or parsley root, 2 carrots, 1 onion, 2-4 garlic cloves, 1 beetroot unpeeled.

In a big cook pot, heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, cover and sweat for a few minutes...

1 chopped leek, 2-3 stalks celery.  Add some cauliflower leaves...shame to throw them away.

Add all of the roast veg to the pot plus 1-1.5 liters of veg stock...enough to cover everything and simmer for around 5 minutes.  No salt was necessary as the celery is salty, the stock too. I added a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice, bit of ground black pepper and about half a teaspoon of cayenne chilli powder.  

Blend and serve with some toasted seeds, parsley and Creme fraiche. 

Pasta sauce- tin of plum tomatoes,  fried chopped onions, garlic, and some wizened courgettes, chopped.  Simmer slowly- mash up tomatoes, add seasonings of choice. Add sliced black olives, and  don't forget some Cayenne pepper!

Sauté Nuernburger sausages,  slice and stir into sauce.  Serve with  pasta of choice, and   be generous with  parmesan cheese. Plus crusty rolls on the side.

PS Any other veggies can be chopped and added. Bon Appetit.

A variation of pasta sauce:

Tomato paste, vegetable stock, dried onion slices (I have a whole bag), garlic, pepper, chili powder (I love my homemade chili powder), olive oil. Cook until creamy.

Chop a lot of "rucola"/rocket and stir in just before serving over pasta. Yum.

31 minutes ago, Metall said:

A variation of pasta sauce:

Tomato paste, vegetable stock, dried onion slices (I have a whole bag), garlic, pepper, chili powder (I love my homemade chili powder), olive oil. Cook until creamy.

Chop a lot of "rucola"/rocket and stir in just before serving over pasta. Yum.

This is why I love pasta sauces, casseroles- one can add so many veggies, seasonings.

Tomorrow, I am making  a pasta dish a la Gordon Ramsay-  assorted mushrooms and leeks sliced, plus onions, sautéed, add chicken or veggie broth,  simmer and reduce, and stir in seasonings  and  some cream/sour cream. Serve over  any pasta , and sprinkle with fresh tarragon, and chives.