What are you cooking today?

3,772 posts in this topic

Share the recipe, Alex! Share the love.  ;)

Is this the wrapping in rice paper variety?

Yes, the entire thing couldn't be easier, but I cheat with how I prep the wraps. 

Cook rice vermicelli first by setting it in boiling water. Trust me when I say one package is more than enough for two people. Shred carrots. Wash and remove stems from cilantro and mint. Julienne cucumbers. Wash and DRY bean sprouts and lettuce leaves. You want to do all the veggie and rice thread prep a few hours before so that it can dry out a bit. Throw a bunch of peanuts in your food processor or your blender and chop them up. Slice pre-cooked tofu into long, thin slices.

To prep the wraps, I like to use two serving platters and a spray bottle. I put warm water in the spray bottle and spray down one side of the wrap, then flip it and spray the other side.

While that one soaks up water, I prep the second wrap.

As I fill the wraps I continue to have one getting ready as I am working with the other one.

On a very flat, very smooth cutting board, lay out the wrapper. Lay in lettuce, rice thread (just a handful, really), and all veggies and herbs. Lay a piece of tofu on top and sprinkle with peanuts. Fold like a traditional burrito - sides towards middle first and then roll from one end. Set aside on a plate so it can dry out a little bit.

Sauce: 3tbsp. hoisin, 1 tbsp. sweet soy sauce, 1 tsp. sweet chili sauce, 2 tsp. dark sesame oil. Increase based on those proportions. Stir well. garnish with more crushed peanuts.

You can put chives or thai basil or really any veggies you want in them, too.

On the wraps, brand matters. Most grocery store chains carry the Lien Ying wraps. I don't like those. They are too thick and hold too much water making it hard to get them to stay closed for long enough to dry a bit. Ricefield or the brand that is in a burgundy colored paper wrapper are better, but those are both 22 cm. Naturally, the best idea is to get to an Asian food shop and buy 24 cm wraps. They are easier to work with.

Fresh olives are to be had at markets now. Saw some beautiful ones, and bought a (very) large handful.

Other than brining ("pickling") them or putting them in oil, anyone have any new and different ideas on what to do with them? Or how to cook them? I've cooked them with chicken and a tomato sauce (eintopf), don't want anything with beef, but lamb is welcome. Anyone?

I cook sliced green olives with chopped garlic, onion, green bell pepper and a little boiling water for five minutes, then mix in some basil pesto, deboned tinned sardines and cooked brown rice or pasta (I prefer fusilli) and serve with a dark leafy salad.

I imagine that you could do something Moroccan with lamb and olives and... Google Google... here's one: http://www.mymoroccanfood.com/home/lamb-potatoes-and-olives-tagine

@Lorelei: thank-you, but this recipe uses already pickled olives. I'm looking for something to do with raw ones. Does look good though.

On 9/30/2019, 8:54:06, food mom said:

Fresh olives are to be had at markets now. Saw some beautiful ones, and bought a (very) large handful.

Other than brining ("pickling") them or putting them in oil, anyone have any new and different ideas on what to do with them?

I thought olives needed to be brined to make them edible. Whether you then store them in oil is a personal preference.

Dunno if this counts as "cooking" per se, but I finally managed to get my apples from my tree juiced! 35 litres of still warm juice to drink

Frischer Saft für Alle - Gotzing presst für die Nachhaltigkeit

now I'm in a pickle.

I made pea soup AND spaghetti sauce, and I don't know which one to eat tonight

pea soup is the standard version, with wieners to be added later, and the spaghetti sauce is made with fennel sausage, and lots of peppers and mushrooms.  

both will taste better tomorrow...but I'm hungry NOW!  What to do?  What to DO?!

If really hungry, go with the spaghetti.

Himself is making chicken soup with fresh chanterelles tonight.

Last night he made veal strips in a cream sauce with chanterelles and a little white whine. Fresh Semmelknödel on the side. He calls these dishes geschneltetes (?).

We're having Chicken thighs with fennel cooked in a slightly spicy creamy sauce. Best with a Brown or whole grain Rice

Today I made canneloni with fresh home grown tomatos. My husband planted the tomatos and made the sauce. It was scrumptious!

I made the bolognese sauce by  frying beef mince in olive oil until it was dark. Spiced with paprika, curry powder (yes really, it adds a zest), garlic, onions. Mixed in the homemade tomato sauce which had been mixed with dill, chives, garlic, and onions.

I greased the lasagne dish with bechamel sauce (Milk, flour, pepper and salt)

Stuffed the canneloni tubes with the bolognese sauce. Poured more bechamel sauce over the tubes until they were covered, then topped it with freshly cut tomatos. Finally topped off to perfection with grated cheese!

Cooked in the oven for 45 minutes at 200 degrees centigrade until the cheese was crispy and melted on top!

Served with a glass of red wine! Delicious :)

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

If really hungry, go with the spaghetti.

Himself is making chicken soup with fresh chanterelles tonight.

Last night he made veal strips in a cream sauce with chanterelles and a little white whine. Fresh Semmelknödel on the side. He calls these dishes geschneltetes (?).

Whining about the geschnetzeltes??? I use pork strips and chopped onions with stock, cream and paprika for the sauce.  Served with  Roesti and sprouts. This seems to be the northern version.

I think the original was maybe Swiss.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Whining about the geschnetzeltes???

Hell no! It was delicious!!!!

The chicken soup was also excellent.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

now I'm in a pickle.

I made pea soup AND spaghetti sauce, and I don't know which one to eat tonight

pea soup is the standard version, with wieners to be added later, and the spaghetti sauce is made with fennel sausage, and lots of peppers and mushrooms.  

both will taste better tomorrow...but I'm hungry NOW!  What to do?  What to DO?!

This belongs in the First World Problems thread! :D