What are you cooking today?

4,187 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Nope. That's gyros.

Is gyros not commonly made with pork? 

It is all just seasoned meat on a stick to mw though. 

On 9/27/2019, 12:56:46, katheliz said:

If you have access to fresh figs, here's a recipe for fig & lemon jam.

FIG LEMON JAM

2 1/2 lbs. fresh figs (13 figs)
1/2 c. light raisins
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 (2x1/4 inch) lemon peel
7 1/2 c. sugar
1 (3 oz.) pouch (1/2 of 6 oz. pkg.) liquid fruit pectin

Wash figs; remove stem ends. Remove excess white membrane from lemon peel. Grind figs, lemon peel and raisins through food grinder using coarse blade. Measure 4 cups fruit mixture into a 8 to 10 quart Dutch oven. Add sugar and lemon juice; mix well. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, uncovered, 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in fruit pectin. Skim off foam with a metal spoon. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal with metal lids and screwbands. Make 8 half pints.

You can tell this is an old recipe.  Feel free to use a food processor for the chopping, or even just use your knife skills.  I leave the raisins whole.  And I use powdered pectin.

Shawarma (/ʃəˈwɑːrmə/; Arabic: شاورما‎) is a dish in Middle Eastern cuisine consisting of meat cut into thin slices, stacked in a cone-like shape, and roasted on a slowly-turning vertical rotisserie or spit. Originally made of lamb or mutton, today's shawarma may also be chicken, turkey, beef, or veal.[4][5][1] Thin slices are shaved off the cooked surface as it continuously rotates.[6][7] Shawarma is one of the world's most popular street foods, especially in Egypt and the countries of the Levant and the Arabian Peninsula and beyond.

From Wiki

11 hours ago, AlexTr said:

And here I thought you said you had spent significant time in the mid-east.

I didn't realise thar sumac was widely used in the Ohio region to season chicken.

Ohio region? You mean where I was born? Weak D considering I talk about it all the time. I'll say hi to the Licavolis for you if you want. You need to get better at this ominous thing.

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

I didn't realise thar sumac was widely used in the Ohio region to season chicken.

14 hours ago, AlexTr said:

And here I thought you said you had spent significant time in the mid-east.

I didn't realise thar sumac was widely used in the Ohio region to season chicken

2 minutes ago, food mom said:

Then J2 is even more broadly travelled that I previously though. 

The Mid- East # travels with jeremy

:lol:

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Is no thread sacred any more? Asshattery on the cooking thread? Sheesh!

Nope you have lost me. :wacko:

We are talking chicken with either middle eastern or mid east spicing on a skewer or baked, either whole or jointed, with onions on bread.

Your contribution is*?

* Greek pork perhaps?

So, my loving wife asked for Vietnamese summer rolls tonight, so I have bought all the fixings and will spend part of the day prepping ingredients. So, that will be fun. She loves them and she loves not having to make them.