What are you cooking today?

3,606 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Kommentarlos said:

Ideally but when in Rome and all that. Smashed frozen with a little fresh chilli also hit te spot.

You mean there's a chippy in Rome? is there no part of the world with a bit of the Empire in it? 

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

Well, none of that looks crazy at all.

Different strokes 4 different folks and all. 

History here, jeremy! Personal history! It was February 1974 and I was penniless in Peru in some Altiplano town and I actually saw a Chinese restaurant!!! I had no money to go in there but, fuck, I wish I had had money! A Chinese restaurant in the Andes! Probably normal these days but I was flummoxed!!

Nice. John did you ever go to Ecuador? I wanted to go there as a scientific Expedition to climb a volcano but ended up in the Himalaya instead!

Unfortunately not, Jeremy. Ecuador, Venezuela and Cuba are the only Latin American countries I have never visited.

Venezuela: because they demanded a  minimum 10 dollars a day you had with you..and I didn´t. Cuba: for obvious reasons..no money, no way to fly there from a South American country and hell-to-expect if you had a Cuban entry stamp.

Ecuador: was in Iquitos, Peru ( Amazon ) and got onto a free flight to Lima ( flight carrying animals and I hung around for about three days to cadge a ride..turned out it was a military flight )- but an Australian oil businessman I got talking to was on there and he put me up for the night in his posh place in Lima but warned me.." tonight, yeah, and then you fuck off.". So I did.

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

and got onto a free flight to Lima ( flight carrying animals and I hung around for about three days to cadge a ride..turned out it was a military flight )- but an Australian oil businessman I got talking to was on there and he put me up for the night in his posh place in Lima but warned me.." tonight, yeah, and then you fuck off.". So I did.

Oddest flight I ever made was a small passenger flight to this village in the Himalaya, called Marpha. The bloke sat next to me had a quiver of arrows - he was off to an archery festival!

Image result for marpha

it had er...great food, er trying to keep the thread about food...! Don't wanna get moaned again!

26 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Nice. John did you ever go to Ecuador? I wanted to go there as a scientific Expedition to climb a volcano but ended up in the Himalaya instead!

Youdon'tsay.jpg

If you have access to fresh figs, here's a recipe for fig & lemon jam.

FIG LEMON JAM

2 1/2 lbs. fresh figs (13 figs)
1/2 c. light raisins
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 (2x1/4 inch) lemon peel
7 1/2 c. sugar
1 (3 oz.) pouch (1/2 of 6 oz. pkg.) liquid fruit pectin

Wash figs; remove stem ends. Remove excess white membrane from lemon peel. Grind figs, lemon peel and raisins through food grinder using coarse blade. Measure 4 cups fruit mixture into a 8 to 10 quart Dutch oven. Add sugar and lemon juice; mix well. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, uncovered, 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in fruit pectin. Skim off foam with a metal spoon. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal with metal lids and screwbands. Make 8 half pints.

3 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Did you never visit the capital when you lived in this part of Europe then?

Oh yes! I like Cardiff! Also the Valleys. Did a geography field trip down there.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

History here, jeremy! Personal history! It was February 1974 and I was penniless in Peru in some Altiplano town and I actually saw a Chinese restaurant!!! I had no money to go in there but, fuck, I wish I had had money! A Chinese restaurant in the Andes! Probably normal these days but I was flummoxed!!

There was a lot of Chinese immigration to Peru in the 1870s and 1880s. Most of them were labourers originating in  Canton province.  

Macau, which of course borders onto Canton, was a Portuguese colony, and there were ships sailing between Macau and South America, so that made it a destination that was relatively easy to reach if you were wanting to work abroad.

Of course, the first labourers were engaged in hard physical labour, such as  collecting guano for fertiliser, but some of their descendants opened restaurants. Peruvian-Chinese cuisine is considered an actual sub-group of Chinese cuisine, basically Cantonese cooking adapted to what is available in Peru and to local tastes.

Edited to add: what did I cook tonight, to keep it more on topic.

Well, by coincidence, something based on Cantonese cooking and adapted to local ingredients: soup made with Chinese sausage, garlic, potatoes and beans. 

Today oh, nothing special yet again. Some "Soup greens" including onions and parsley from my veg garden, then spuds to make Bavarian "Fartoffelsuppe". Regensburger sausages add a wonderful Bavarian touch! 

Now to spend the evening gently easing out the wind...

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

M'sakhan with some of the sumac my friend gifted us.

McSakhan? Is that something new they're offering? My wife likes the McSalads herself.

Am reviving an old sourdough mother that hid in the back of the fridge. Have plenty of discard, so made most of into soft pretzles. Ran out of room for them in the freezer, so was forced to take out the ice cream machine freezer cannisters and make ice cream, so as to make room for the pretzles. Sigh.

Vanilla bean with chocolate/caramel swirl.

29 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

McSakhan? Is that something new they're offering? My wife likes the McSalads herself.

And here I thought you said you had spent significant time in the mid-east.

9 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

And here I thought you said you had spent significant time in the mid-east.

Ah I was only teasing. Believe it or not this word is new to me. However I believe I know it as chicken shawarma. I used to eat tons  of it from drive ins there. Lots of chicken spinning round slowly on a grill cut off then put in a roll of pitta bread and wrapped up like a sweet. All for three Riyals, two them was a main meal for about a dollar/pound. Fill up the tank with petrol for five dollars/three pounds then go home! :)

Having surfed a bit I think it's like that difference of names between Israel and Arabia - Baba Ghanouj which most people here call it - we all called it Muttabel - roast aubergine puree. I also ate loads of that with bread and salad after my daily midday swim (of course "Friday" (Wednesday in the Arab world) meant some serious suntan work before returning to the office.