What are you cooking today?

3,455 posts in this topic

Here's what the Internet says. It seems pretty comprehensive.

'While these pancakes are derived from the German pancake dish, it is said that the name Dutch baby was coined by one of Victor Manca's daughters, where "Dutch" perhaps was her corruption of the German autonym deutsch. Manca's Cafe claimed that it owned the trademark for Dutch babies in 1942.
Alternative names: German pancake, Bismarck, ...
Type: Popover
Main ingredients: Eggs, wheat flour, milk, vanil...
Place of origin: United States

There may be a Dutch thread somewhere for coleslaw...I remember  a chat with my Dutch friends here and they didn´t know. Mcdonalds via USA...but originally Dutch...

44 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Here's what the Internet says. It seems pretty comprehensive.

'While these pancakes are derived from the German pancake dish, it is said that the name Dutch baby was coined by one of Victor Manca's daughters, where "Dutch" perhaps was her corruption of the German autonym deutsch. Manca's Cafe claimed that it owned the trademark for Dutch babies in 1942.
Alternative names: German pancake, Bismarck, ...
Type: Popover
Main ingredients: Eggs, wheat flour, milk, vanil...
Place of origin: United States

As I suspected - a failed soufflé which lisa13 failed to fail. ;)

59 minutes ago, john g. said:

Ah, maybe from the time New York was called New Amsterdam?

That was a long time ago :). It would be cool to go there now and just speak Dutch and order poffertjes. We traded it with the British for Suriname, the least known country in South America. Even Brazilians don't know it's a bordercountry, but they border with everybody, sort of. 

Sweet F.A this evening, am having a break..

Managed to " liberate " shit loads of grub from Columbia University, as it's induction day,  so its tasty chicken sarnies etc all round..

Pumpkin rice with chicken, onion, garlic, Slammer´s secret herb mix, some bamboo shoots I had in the fridge, a few scrapings of Naga Joloka and coconut milk.