What are you cooking today?

3,560 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, food mom said:

@slammer:  and you do this... why? If you can't taste anything?

52 minutes ago, slammer said:

Not to sure about what I am having for tea tonight, probably a popsicle.

Yesterday was Slammercurry night, I have loo paper in the freezer and my ass looks like the flag of Japan.

My idea of a curry is when the neighbours complain about somebody firing tear gas. I have a collection of Naga Joloka and Carolina Reaper and a few Scotch bonnets in the freezer, I grate them into the frying pan where they release atmospheric Capsaicin. Basiclly I have found a way to weaponize curry.

I then add some chopped fruit and powder with curry paste or powder and top up with fruit juice. That´s my curry stock, then I add veggies or meat or whatever.

It doesn´t matter really because every tastebud has been napalmed.

Oh don´t knock it, Naga´s for instance, if done right, have a lemon grass taste and leave a nice burn on the way down. It´s just when the contents of your stomach start to bubble and a burp will eat the chrome of a hubcap then you know it may have been a bit over the top.

On 7.8.2019, 08:32:26, slammer said:

My idea of a curry is when the neighbours complain about somebody firing tear gas. I have a collection of Naga Joloka and Carolina Reaper and a few Scotch bonnets in the freezer, I grate them into the frying pan where they release atmospheric Capsaicin. Basiclly I have found a way to weaponize curry.

I then add some chopped fruit and powder with curry paste or powder and top up with fruit juice. That´s my curry stock, then I add veggies or meat or whatever.

You and I - we need to talk.

Or have a curry together! :P

18 hours ago, Metall said:

You and I - we need to talk.

Or have a curry together! :P

Anytime.

On 23.6.2019, 12:46:52, lisa13 said:

Gianluca Mancini did not say anything about rinsing the pasta - where are you getting that?  "Draining" means pouring off the cooking water which is actually important to prevent overcooking.  No, it should not be rinsed but Gianluca didn't suggest it should be.

How does your method allow meat and veg to cook sufficiently before the pasta goes to mush?  And how does it cook evenly if you let the top layer go dry while the bottom layer is still in the water? 

Cooking the pasta with the sauce sounds like a recipe for glue soup tbh :)

eta:  I am aware of "one pot" pasta recipes but the ones I've seen don't use meat, and they put the sauce ingredients in the pot at the start of cooking when the pasta is still fully dry.

I never said she did, rinsing the pasta is one step further on the road to Pastacide. How my method works? Absolutly perfect if you do it correct, you need to clear your mind and "See" the pasta when it is finished, it works every time, but be aware, you can ruin it if you are not careful. I learned how to do it during years of study at the feet of a pastajedimaster who lives in a cave as a hermit on the slopes of mount Etna. I went through unmentionable hardships and sacrifice. But in the end it paid off and I can make perfect pasta with anything your heart desires the way I described.

Quick green medley: put brown rice or pasta on to cook, then in another pan put olive oil, chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, sliced green olives, a little boiling water, sautee for 5 mins, then remove from heat and mixed with pesto and tinned sardines or tuna or mackerel or other fish. Then mix this with cooked brown rice or pasta and serve with salad.

24 minutes ago, emkay said:

Best Yorkshire puddings ever...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

IMG_7463.JPG

I used 3 large and 1 medium egg.  And, a bit under 200ml milk.  Smoking hot sunflower oil (bio Rewe) and didn't open the oven until done.  It was supposed to be  in 'Toad in the hole' though made the vegetarian sausage and veg seperately. 

so what exactly is the difference between this and a "dutch baby"?  as far as I can tell the concept is the same, but since yorkshire puddings are smaller, they seem to go crispier or so?  Either way they're gorgeous!

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

What is a Dutch baby, lisa?

:rolleyes:

a giant yorkshire pudding?  :)

seriously I am not sure there's actually a difference - like I said the concept is the same (lots of eggs/milk and a relatively small amount of flour) but a dutch baby is baked in a fairly big pan - a cast iron skillet is supposed to be best, but anything frying pan size, with high sides will do.  It does the same thing where it stays thin on the bottom and creeps/fluffs up the sides, just bigger

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I never heard of it. Must be an American thingie.

not that I know of.  I did learn about it in the US but never had one/seen one/heard of one in daily life...just one recipe I ran across

eta:  that's not to say I believe it's Dutch in origin ;)  

eta eta:  this video claims it's actually a "german pancake" :)  - no sugar

4 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

that's for subscribers only :(

Yeah - the sneaks!

So I listed another recipe for Dutch Baby.  I've never made one, but they sound delicious.  Your recipe looks good, too. :)

10 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I never heard of it. Must be an American thingie.

Ah, maybe from the time New York was called New Amsterdam?